Windows 10: Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10

Discus and support Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10 How to Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can delete a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10

How to: Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10

How to Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10

Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows, you can delete a volume or partition on a disk, except for a system or boot volume or partition.

When you delete a volume or partition on a disk, it will become unallocated space on the disk. You could then extend another volume/partition on the same disk into this unallocated space to add the unallocated space to the volume/partition.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to delete a volume or partition on a disk in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to delete a volume or partition.

Warning When you delete a volume or partition, all data and configuration information for the volume/partition is also deleted.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Delete Volume or Partition on Disk in Disk Management
    • Option Two: Delete Volume or Partition on Disk in Command Prompt
    • Option Three: Delete Volume or Partition on Disk in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Delete Volume or Partition on Disk in Disk Management
    1. Right click on the Start *Start button to open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

2. Right click or press and hold on the partition/volume (ex: "F") you want to delete, and click/tap on Delete Volume. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. The volume/partition will now be deleted, and show as Unallocated space on the disk. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Delete Volume or Partition on Disk in Command Prompt
    1. Open an command prompt at boot.

2. Type the commands below one at a time into the command prompt, and press Enter after each command. Make note of the volume number (ex: "5") of the drive letter (ex: "F") you want to delete. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow diskpart

*Arrow list volume

3. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow select volume <number>

Note Substitute <number> in the top command above with the actual volume number (ex: "5") you want to delete from step 2 above.

For example: select volume 5

4. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow delete volume

5. The volume/partition will now be deleted, and show as Unallocated space on the disk. You can now close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Delete Volume or Partition on Disk in PowerShell

Note To see more usage options for the Remove-Partition command, see: Remove-Partition - Microsoft Docs

1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Type the Get-Volume command into the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and make note of the drive letter (ex: "F") of the partition/volume you want to delete. (see screenshot below)

3. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Remove-Partition -DriveLetter "<Drive Letter>"

Note Substitute <Drive Letter> in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "F") you want to delete from step 2 above.

For example: Remove-Partition -DriveLetter "F"

4. When prompted, type y to confirm, and press Enter. (see screenshot above)

5. The volume/partition will now be deleted, and show as Unallocated space on the disk. You can now close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Jan 25, 2016
  2. okidna Win User

Delete my W10 Partition

Do you want to safely delete your Windows 10 partition and use only Windows 7?

If Yes, then boot to your Windows 7, run msconfig, go to "Boot" tab, you will see something like this :

Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10 boot-png.png

Choose "Windows 7" and click "Set as default", then choose "Windows 10" and click "Delete", restart if asked or necessary.
    Now the boot information for Windows 10 has been deleted and you can safely delete your Windows 10 partition (make sure no important files are on the Win10 partition). To delete and extend your partition you can use many partition manager tools.

okidna, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Sudden automatic appearance of disk partition on Windows 10

Hi,

Please let us know, if you have made any changes prior to this issue.

I suggest you to remove the partition and check.

To delete an existing partition from Windows 10:

• Follow the instructions from step 1 to 5 from the above section.
    • From the right pane of the Disk Management section, right-click the volume (partition) that you want to delete.
    • From the context menu that appears, click Delete Volume.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10

How to delete the partition after creating a recovery drive on Windows 10?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about deleting the recovery partition after creating a recovery drive. We will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps to delete the recovery partition from Command Prompt and check if it helps.

I suggest you to log-in as an administrator with Microsoft account, try the below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin)
    • Type: diskpart
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: list disk (Make note of the disk number of the disk from which you want to delete the partition.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: select diskn (Select the disk
      n from which you want to delete the partition.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: list partition (Make note of the number of the partition that you want to delete.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: select partition (Select the partition
      n that you want to delete.)
    • At the DISKPART prompt, type: delete partition

Caution

• Deleting a partition on a dynamic disk can delete all dynamic volumes on the disk, thus leaving the disk in a corrupt state. To delete a dynamic volume, use the
      delete volume command instead. For instructions on how to delete a dynamic volume, see Related Topics.

• When you delete a partition, all data on that deleted partition or logical drive is lost.

• You cannot recover deleted partitions or logical drives.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Can I safely delete certain partitions?

All the partitions to the right of C:\ can be safely deleted. I noticed you have some substantial unallocated disk space that you should try recovering.

After deleting the suggested partitions, the Volumes you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (CDelete Volume or Partition in Windows 10 :). Right click the System volume then click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Oct 26, 2019
  6. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10

1. Delete Volume or Partition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Delete Volume Partition

2. Disk Management Partition Changed to Simple Volume and can't Delete other Partitions!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management Partition Changed to Simple Volume and can't Delete other Partitions!: I have been trying to download Linux on another partition to dual boot but can't seem to get Linux to work properly so I've just decided that I'll stick with windows. Although when I went to delete the Linux partition there is no option to Image 2 and now my regular partition...
  3. Disk Management Partition Changed to Simple Volume and can't Delete other Partitions!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Management Partition Changed to Simple Volume and can't Delete other Partitions!: I have been trying to download Linux on another partition to dual boot but can't seem to get Linux to work properly so I've just decided that I'll stick with windows. Although when I went to delete the Linux partition there is no option to Image 2 and now my regular partition...
  4. Unable to delete Disk Partition as Delete Volume option is greyed out on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Unable to delete Disk Partition as Delete Volume option is greyed out on Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you are running low on disk space, you may want to delete your […] This article Unable to delete Disk Partition as Delete Volume option is greyed out on Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. How to delete a Volume or Drive Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to delete a Volume or Drive Partition in Windows 10: [ATTACH] In order to store data in an organized manner, operating systems now give you a feature to create separate partitions out of your HDD or SSD based storage. Microsoft has always been supporting this small yet powerful feature. But many [...] This post How to delete a...
  6. windows 10 deleting partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 deleting partitions: Which partitions can I safely delete. I want to get rid of constant message pop up "low disc space on recovery D" [img] 76237
  7. volume Partition Issue in windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    volume Partition Issue in windows 10: I have 1 TB hard disk , brand new laptop. I have 1 drive (C drive OS pre-installed) only and i am trying to make partitions through Disk management. problem is when i try to shrink the volume i am getting 482 GB as a unallocated space and othr half is 442 GB/ (C drive). i...
  8. Windows 10 deletes partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 deletes partitions: Hay, i want to ask something. I have windows 10. I installed it recently. Before installing it, i installed 8 other versions of windows (from windows 2000 all versions up to windows 8). All of those 9 windows installations are on the same hard drive. Untill i installed...
  9. Extend Volume or Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Extend Volume or Partition in Windows 10: How to: Extend Volume or Partition in Windows 10 How to Extend Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can add more space to existing primary partitions and logical drives by extending them into adjacent unallocated space on the same disk....
  10. Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10: How to: Shrink Volume or Partition in Windows 10 How to Shrink a Volume or Partition in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows, you can decrease the space used by primary partitions and logical drives by shrinking them into adjacent, contiguous unallocated space on...