Windows 10: Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10

Discus and support Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance of Programs or Background... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by oneLess, Jul 20, 2017.

1. oneLess Win User

Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10

How to: Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10

Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance of Programs or Background Services in Windows 10

Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows manages your processor resources automatically, and can allocate tasks between processors or manage multiple processes on a single processor. By default, Windows adjusts for best performance of programs over background services.

To optimize Windows to meet your requirements, you can adjust processor scheduling by choosing how to allocate processor resources so that it is optimized to run programs (foreground services) or background services (ex: printing or backup) with more responsiveness.

This tutorial will show you how to allocate processor resources to adjust for best performance of programs or background services in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to manage processor scheduling.

Note Unless you are running a server (home, media, or otherwise), it would be best to leave processor scheduling set to programs.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Allocate Processor Resources to Adjust for Best Performance using Performance Options
    • Option Two: To Allocate Processor Resources to Adjust for Best Performance using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Allocate Processor Resources to Adjust for Best Performance using Performance Options
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on the Advanced system settings link on the left side, and close the System control panel window if you like. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Advanced tab, and click/tap on the Settings button in the Performance section. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Advanced tab, select (dot) Programs (default) or Background services for what you want under "Adjust for best performance of", and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Allocate Processor Resources to Adjust for Best Performance using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl

Win32PrioritySeparation DWORD

2 = Default (same as programs)
    26 (hex) or 38 (dec) = Programs
    18 (hex) or 24 (dec) = Background services

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (programs), or step 4 (background services) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Adjust for Best Performance of Default
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Default_processor_scheduling.reg

Download

3. To Adjust for Best Performance of Programs
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Programs_processor_scheduling.reg

Download

3. To Adjust for Best Performance of Background Services

Background_services_processor_scheduling.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

9. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

oneLess, Jul 20, 2017

2. Excel 2013 spreadsheets open very slowly when Cortana is active

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern in this regard. Let me first confirm that the issue you're facing is nothing related to Cortana.

It is related to Windows System Resource Manager , which manages processor resources by adjusting the priority of processes. This guarantees a minimum percentage of available CPU bandwidth to process groups that are defined by process matching
    criteria.

Resource management is not enforced unless the total CPU usage is greater than 70 percent. You can also use Windows System Resource Manager to define processor affinity. This means that matched processes can be associated with a single processor or a group
    of processors on a multiprocessor computer.

In view of the same, Resource Manager will assign processor on priority to Cortana to keep it up and running. So you might have feel this difference in access time, while opening a file or document.

Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 20, 2017
  3. edalfon Win User
    Windows 10 freezing for 2-3 secs every 10-15 secs after last update

I have recently upgraded to windows 10. At first it was fine, but after the last update (early December) the system is incredibly sluggish. It basically freezes for 2-3 seconds, every 10-15 seconds rendering my laptop useless (or at least extremely annoying
    to use).

I thought the culprit was some old software that perhaps was incompatible with Windows 10, so I decided to start fresh and I reset the system (Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC) and installed windows 10 from scratch. This did not
    solve the problem.

I also checked the performance tab in the Task Manager, and it does not seem to be a program running in the background and consuming system resources (e.g. while writing this, CPU usage is rather constant around 2% and the system keeps freezing).

I have also tried setting the performance options to "Adjust for best performance" and it did not work either.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Many thanks.

P.S. My laptop is a Dell XPS17, powered by an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM @ 2GHz processor, 8GB of RAM and running Windows 10 Home (64-bit operating system)

edalfon, Jul 20, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello C, *Smile

I've updated the tutorial to clarify for both hex and dec values.

Brink, Jul 20, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Unless running a server(home, media, or other wise), most will just need the scheduling set to programs.

By the way Shawn, I see the customization bug bit you*Wink

Mine:

Cliff S, Jul 20, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    By the way, if anyone wants to learn in depth, just what the heck CPU scheduling (and affinity) with Windows and BIOS is all about:
    https://www.cs.uic.edu/~jbell/Course...cheduling.html
    A warning when deciding to switch from Programs to Background Services:

Warning
    Priorities can be assigned either internally or externally. Internal priorities are assigned by the OS using criteria such as average burst time, ratio of CPU to I/O activity, system resource use, and other factors available to the kernel. External priorities are assigned by users, based on the importance of the job, fees paid, politics, etc.

Priority scheduling can be either preemptive or non-preemptive.

Priority scheduling can suffer from a major problem known as indefinite blocking, or starvation, in which a low-priority task can wait forever because there are always some other jobs around that have higher priority.

If this problem is allowed to occur, then processes will either run eventually when the system load lightens ( at say 2:00 a.m. ), or will eventually get lost when the system is shut down or crashes. (*There are rumors of jobs that have been stuck for years. )

One common solution to this problem is aging, in which priorities of jobs increase the longer they wait. Under this scheme a low-priority job will eventually get its priority raised high enough that it gets run.

Another words, you can(and probably will) slow your system down, and either freeze, crash, or GSOD it.
    So make changes with caution, because if you start a help thread because of the aforementioned, no one will even think about asking if you changed your priorities.

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Adjust Processor Resources

2. Best performance for apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best performance for apps: How do I add apps to graphics settings for best performance. I recently tried adding CSGO, but when I search desktop apps I cant find it, but when I manually type in CSGO and add it to highest performance it disappears when I open settings again?...
  3. Best performance for apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Best performance for apps: How do I add apps to graphics settings for best performance. I recently tried adding CSGO, but when I search desktop apps I cant find it, but when I manually type in CSGO and add it to highest performance it disappears when I open settings again?...
  4. Adjustment for best appearance in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjustment for best appearance in Windows 11: Hello there. In Windows 10, I right-click, choose Display Settings > About > Advanced System Settings > Performance Settings > Visual Effects to adjust for best appearance. How can I reach that in Windows 11? Thanks....
  5. Adjustment for best appearance in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adjustment for best appearance in Windows 11: Hello there. In Windows 10, I right-click, choose Display Settings > About > Advanced System Settings > Performance Settings > Visual Effects to adjust for best appearance. How can I reach that in Windows 11? Thanks....
  6. "ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE"

in Windows 10 Customization
    "ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE": Under Advanced System Properties in Win 10 1094 it makes sure this cannot be effected by jamming the edge of the window where the mouse cursor cannot reach it. Even putting the Taskbar elsewhere doesn't help....
  7. Resource and Performance Monitor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Resource and Performance Monitor: My Resource and Performance Monitor function is not working. The information is collected but the report is not generated. The error message indicates, "The wait for the report generation tool to finish has timed out."...
  8. Resource & Performance Monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Resource & Performance Monitor: I have had this open for 10 minutes but has done nothing. - [img] 167609
  9. Best Processor?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Best Processor?: Is there a source for information concerning Intel versus AMD processors. I am looking to acquire a new computer and would like a comparison between the two processor options. Thanks for any help that can be provided. * Moved from education...
  10. Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general

in Windows 10 Support
    Best tutorials/resources for understanding Windows 10 in general: Hi, can anyone refer me to good information to understand how Win 10 is works or is organized? I use it for general purpose things regularly, but I feel pretty ignorant about anything at all "under the hood", and would like to get better sense of this. I have some *quite*...