Windows 10: Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10

Discus and support Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Thank you Brink this is a tweak that will make windows great again but will be more nice for dword if you notice the number values as decimal or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by oneLess, Jul 20, 2017.

1. oneLess Win User

Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10

Thank you Brink

this is a tweak that will make windows great again

but will be more nice for dword if you notice the number values as decimal or hex , maybe both

anyway , is very strange , I googled the registry key and I found a lot of
    other opinions , I refer here about values of numbers , like 0/1/2 , or 22 ...

c

:)

oneLess, Jul 20, 2017

2. Excel 2013 spreadsheets open very slowly when Cortana is active

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern in this regard. Let me first confirm that the issue you're facing is nothing related to Cortana.

It is related to Windows System Resource Manager , which manages processor resources by adjusting the priority of processes. This guarantees a minimum percentage of available CPU bandwidth to process groups that are defined by process matching
    criteria.

Resource management is not enforced unless the total CPU usage is greater than 70 percent. You can also use Windows System Resource Manager to define processor affinity. This means that matched processes can be associated with a single processor or a group
    of processors on a multiprocessor computer.

In view of the same, Resource Manager will assign processor on priority to Cortana to keep it up and running. So you might have feel this difference in access time, while opening a file or document.

Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 20, 2017
  3. edalfon Win User
    Windows 10 freezing for 2-3 secs every 10-15 secs after last update

I have recently upgraded to windows 10. At first it was fine, but after the last update (early December) the system is incredibly sluggish. It basically freezes for 2-3 seconds, every 10-15 seconds rendering my laptop useless (or at least extremely annoying
    to use).

I thought the culprit was some old software that perhaps was incompatible with Windows 10, so I decided to start fresh and I reset the system (Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC) and installed windows 10 from scratch. This did not
    solve the problem.

I also checked the performance tab in the Task Manager, and it does not seem to be a program running in the background and consuming system resources (e.g. while writing this, CPU usage is rather constant around 2% and the system keeps freezing).

I have also tried setting the performance options to "Adjust for best performance" and it did not work either.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Many thanks.

P.S. My laptop is a Dell XPS17, powered by an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM @ 2GHz processor, 8GB of RAM and running Windows 10 Home (64-bit operating system)

edalfon, Jul 20, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello C, *Smile

I've updated the tutorial to clarify for both hex and dec values.

Brink, Jul 20, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Unless running a server(home, media, or other wise), most will just need the scheduling set to programs.

By the way Shawn, I see the customization bug bit you*Wink

Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Mine:

Cliff S, Jul 20, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    By the way, if anyone wants to learn in depth, just what the heck CPU scheduling (and affinity) with Windows and BIOS is all about:
    https://www.cs.uic.edu/~jbell/Course...cheduling.html
    A warning when deciding to switch from Programs to Background Services:

Warning
    Priorities can be assigned either internally or externally. Internal priorities are assigned by the OS using criteria such as average burst time, ratio of CPU to I/O activity, system resource use, and other factors available to the kernel. External priorities are assigned by users, based on the importance of the job, fees paid, politics, etc.

Priority scheduling can be either preemptive or non-preemptive.

Priority scheduling can suffer from a major problem known as indefinite blocking, or starvation, in which a low-priority task can wait forever because there are always some other jobs around that have higher priority.

If this problem is allowed to occur, then processes will either run eventually when the system load lightens ( at say 2:00 a.m. ), or will eventually get lost when the system is shut down or crashes. (*There are rumors of jobs that have been stuck for years. )

One common solution to this problem is aging, in which priorities of jobs increase the longer they wait. Under this scheme a low-priority job will eventually get its priority raised high enough that it gets run.

Another words, you can(and probably will) slow your system down, and either freeze, crash, or GSOD it.
    So make changes with caution, because if you start a help thread because of the aforementioned, no one will even think about asking if you changed your priorities.

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Adjust Processor Resources for Best Performance in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Adjust Processor Resources

2. Power Processor Performance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Processor Performance: I was running high performance on my hp desktop, but now when I checked the settings the minimum and maximum settings are gone, nothing there but system cooling? So what happen to those two settings? Moved from: Windows 10 / Performance & system failures...
  3. Power Processor Performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Processor Performance: I was running high performance on my hp desktop, but now when I checked the settings the minimum and maximum settings are gone, nothing there but system cooling? So what happen to those two settings?...
  4. windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation Windows 10: Hello, My pc goes directly to "Automatic repair couldn't repair your pc" I clicked on Advanced Option > Troubleshoot > Advanced options and selected Command Prompt then did the following: Typed c: hit Enter. Typed dir and I can see the files Typed cd...
  5. Resource And Performance Monitor Issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Resource And Performance Monitor Issues: I tried to generate a system diagnostics report. By typing, perfmon /report, into elevated command prompt. Bring up the Resource And Performance Monitor window, seen in my screenshot below. [img] This dialog ran for more then 8 hours. Subsequently... I...
  6. Windows Resource protection could not perform the requested operation

Windows Resource protection could not perform the requested operation: I managed to receive a couple of blue screens after updating Nvidia driver to 388.13 so I rolled back and then things went calm again , but then Windows came up with a notification that my C: disk needing a scan and if I should schedule one upon restart , it took roughly 2...
  7. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation: Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the correct thread....I am also having problems with SFC /SCANNOW as mine stops at 20% with this error Running SFC /SCANNOW stops at 20% with error Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 20% complete. Windows...
  8. sfc windows resource protection could not perform...

sfc windows resource protection could not perform...: You are welcome. That's great news. The in place upgrade repair was successful.
  9. SFC /SCANNOW, Windows Resource Protection Could Not Perform....

SFC /SCANNOW, Windows Resource Protection Could Not Perform....: I just installed the latest slow ring preview build, version 14931.1000 and when I performed an SFC /SNANNOW I get to 19% and then the command comes up Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. I tried three times and it always goes to 19% then...
  10. Performance monitor processor time question

Performance monitor processor time question: There are a couple of processes I am monitoring in Performance Monitor, one indicates an average of 23.4% and the other 13.5%. Yet in Task Manager those two processed appear to be using 4-5% and 2-3%. Total processor time averages at 8.3% so why are those two particular...