Windows 10: Choose Power Plan in Windows 10

Discus and support Choose Power Plan in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Choose Power Plan in Windows 10 How to Choose a Power Plan Scheme in Windows 10 A power plan is a collection of hardware and system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Maggidon, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Maggidon Win User

Choose Power Plan in Windows 10

How to: Choose Power Plan in Windows 10

How to Choose a Power Plan Scheme in Windows 10

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two.

All users (standard and administrator) will be able to make changes to any power plan settings.

Changes made to a power plan will affect all users that have chosen the same power plan as their default active power scheme.

Windows 10 includes the following default power plans:
    • Balanced - Offers full performance when you need it and saves power when you don't. This is the best power plan for most people.
    • Power saver - Saves power by reducing PC performance and screen brightness. If you're using a laptop, this plan can help you get the most from a single battery charge.
    • High performance - Maximizes screen brightness and might increase PC performance. This plan uses a lot more energy, so your laptop battery won't last as long between charges.
    • edition starting with Windows 10 build 17101. Provides ultimate performance on higher end PCs. It builds on the current High-Performance policy, and goes a step further to eliminate micro-latencies associated with fine grained power management techniques. As the power scheme is geared towards reducing micro-latencies it may directly impact hardware; and consume more power than the default balanced plan. The Ultimate Performance power policy is currently not available on battery powered systems.
    • Custom power plan - These are only available if either your PC manufacturer (OEM) provided additional power plans, and/or you create a custom power plan. These are available to all users.
    This tutorial will show you how to choose a power plan to be your current active power scheme that will be used by default for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Choose a Power Plan in Power Options
    1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for how you would like to open Power Options.

2. Right click or press and hold on the step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

Choose Power Plan in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Open the step 5 below.

4. Open the step 5 below.

5. Select (dot) the power plan (ex: High performance) you want to use by default for your account. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close Power Options if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Choose a Power Plan in Windows Mobility Center
    1. Right click or press and hold on the Power icon in the notification area, and click/tap on Windows Mobility Center (mblctr.exe). (see screenshot below)

2. In the Power drop down menu, select the power plan (ex: High performance) you want to use by default for your account. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Windows Mobility Center if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Choose a Power Plan in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. This will give you a list of all available power plans on the PC along with their GUID. Make note of the GUID of the power plan you want to choose. (see screenshot below)

*note The power plan scheme that has an asterisk * to the right of it is your current active power plan scheme.
    *Arrow powercfg /List

OR

*Arrow powercfg /L

3. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow powercfg /S GUID

OR

*Arrow powercfg /setactive GUID

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID from step 2 above for the power plan you want to choose.

For example:

(Balanced)
    powercfg /S 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

(High performance)
    powercfg /S 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

(Power saver)
    powercfg /S a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

(Ultimate Performance)
    powercfg /S e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

4. You can now close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Maggidon, Jun 3, 2016

2. power option

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy, maximize system performance, or achieve a balance between the two.

All users (standard and administrator) will be able to make changes to any power plan settings.

Changes made to a power plan will affect all users that have chosen the same power plan as their default active power scheme.

Windows 10 provides the following default plans:

Balanced - Offers full performance when you need it and saves power when you don't. This is the best power plan for most people.

Power saver - Saves power by reducing PC performance and screen brightness. If you're using a laptop, this plan can help you get the most from a single battery charge.

High performance - Maximizes screen brightness and might increase PC performance. This plan uses a lot more energy, so your laptop battery won't last as long between charges.

Ultimate Performance - Only available starting with Windows 10 build 17083. Provides ultimate performance on higher end PCs.

Custom power plan - These are only available if either your PC manufacturer (OEM) provided additional power plans, and/or you create a custom power plan. These are available to all users.

Credits to
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/21434-choos...
    i.e. Shawn Brink MVP.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 3, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    desktop going to sleep and will not wake up unless i hard boot.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

, Try for deleting the power plan by following the below steps:

1. Go to Control Panel.

2. Select Power Options.

3. choose the additional plan drop down.

4. select Change plan settings(this has to be one you created, default ones can not be deleted)[it can also not be delete when it is in use]. Select cancel.

5. Click Change plan settings beside the customized power plan.

6. Tap Delete this plan in the Edit Plan Settings window.

7. Choose OK to confirm the deletion.

Now, create a new power plan.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jun 3, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 3, 2016
  5. Maggidon Win User
    Two things Brink. Ignore the private reply. When I hit the link received in my email, it showed that there was nothing there. I took it that the postings were deleted. Somehow I happened to come upon your reply here.
    Secondly, is the Power4Gear High Performance any different that the High Performance option given by Windows 10?

Maggidon, Jun 3, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Not really. Power4Gear is just software that came preinstalled on the computer for basically the same thing.

Brink, Jun 3, 2016
  7. Maggidon Win User
    So if you were in my spot, would you just leave it alone, especially since it's doing the same thing?

Maggidon, Jun 3, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

It really comes down to which one you prefer to use.

Brink, Jun 3, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jun 3, 2016
  10. Florio Win User
    Brink, what settings would you personally recommend for Power and Sleep? I turn on my PC every morning when I get up, and only turn it off before I go to bed; I prefer to leave it in standby when I'm not using it, but don't want it going into standby while I'm downloading or uploading big files that take quite a while.
    The other problem is the screensaver which I like to have running when the computer is idle. When should I set this to kick in, taking into account the Power and Sleep settings you'd recommend? (at the moment, sometimes it starts up, but sometimes it doesn't, leaving a black screen).

Florio, Jan 13, 2018
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Florio, *Smile

Normally, your computer shouldn't go into standby while downloading since it's in use. However, I would recommend to temporarily set standby to "never" while downloading like that to be safe.

You would want the screen saver to kick in for how many minutes you want before the computer is set to go into standby. I'd say at least a few minutes before.

If you have your displays set to turn off, then make sure the screen saver is set to kick in before that as well, or set the displays to not turn off to prevent them from overlapping.

*Arrow Change Turn off Display after Time in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

If you like, you could also set to turn off hard disks (HDD drives) after being idle for X amount of minutes to help save a bit of energy.

*Arrow Turn Off Hard Disk After Idle in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, Jan 13, 2018
  12. Florio Win User
    Thanks Brink. *Smile

Just wanted to clarify: 'standby' is now called 'Sleep' in Windows 10, isn't it? And is 'display' the same as 'screen'?

If I set 'Sleep' to 'Never' (or 'display' to 'turned off'), how can I set up my screensaver to kick in just before?

Florio, Jan 13, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Correct.

If both are set to "Never", then there's nothing to worry about for setting the screensaver to kick in before they do.

Brink, Jan 13, 2018
  14. Kari Win User
    @Brink, any idea why I only have the balanced plan, even resettting plans does not bring any other plans back?

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Choose Power Plan in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Choose Power Plan

2. Power plans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power plans: I tried all different solutions but nothing worked.I downloaded the pow files and nothing worked.I tried these codes:powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635cpowercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61powercfg -duplicatescheme...
  3. Windows 10 power plan

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 power plan: Hello guys, Last night I started a render queue in Cinema 4D (3d animation tool) and was under the assumption that the queue would be rendered when I woke up this morning. To bad that wasn't the case because I forgot to switch the power plan to NOT put my PC into sleeping...
  4. Windows Power Plans

Windows Power Plans: I have a question about the Windows Power Plans, I have Highlighted Balanced, Ultimate Performance, High performance, and lastly Power Saver. I'm currently having problem's with the power plan switching between Ultimate Performance and Balanced every 2-5 Seconds in a...
  5. power plan on windows 10

power plan on windows 10: HI since the last time I installed windows 10 on my computer the power plans don't work anymore. no idea how to fix since it has been happening since the reinstall. Didn't get any errors reinstalling it but still no joy. Tried the troubleshooter but it said it couldn't find...
  6. High Performance when choosing power plans

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High Performance when choosing power plans: Hello Microsoft employee, While trying to create a power plan, when trying to choose out of three options Balanced, Power saver, and High performance it automatically makes me choose Balanced as the only option and won't let me change it to the other two options. When...
  7. Power Plan

Power Plan: My power plan only has the balanced one and I can't figure out how to get the high performance one. I went into create a power plan but it wasn't there also. Any way I can get the high performance plan?...
  8. Power Plans

Power Plans: I recently did a Fresh Start on my HP laptop as I was having issues with Windows Defender and my computer was running slow despite my best efforts to fix it. The install solved the problems I was having with Windows Defender and speed but I have been having issues with the...
  9. Power Plan

Power Plan: Why isn't my power plan available? I attemted to increase the time before the PC sleeps, but it seems to default to 10 minutes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-plan/f2cab0f8-1715-4975-bc19-bfe1a3b62db5
  10. 'Choose Power Plan' context menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    'Choose Power Plan' context menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: 'Choose Power Plan' context menu - Add in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Choose Power Plan' context menu in Windows 10 A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how your computer uses power. Power plans can help you save energy,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. choose a power plan

2. choose power plan

3. choose a power plan deutsch

4. select a power plan windows 10,
  5. powercfg duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61,
  6. choose the power plan,
  7. choose a power plan download,
  8. choose a power plan 64bit,
  9. choose a power plan swedish