Windows 10: Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 How to Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Try3, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Try3 Win User

Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

How to: Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

How to Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Windows will usually automatically connect to networks in this priority order:
    • Ethernet
    • Wi‑Fi (wireless)
    • Mobile broadband (cellular)
    When you password key, and security information to be able to connect to a wireless network.

Windows will automatically connect to your wireless network profiles based on a priority order when the wireless network is in range, and an Ethernet connection is not available.

If you check "Connect automatically" while connecting to a wireless network, it will be placed at the top of the priority list.

If you have multiple wireless network connections, you can change the priority so the network profile you prefer will be the first one to use instead when in range.

This tutorial will show you how to change the connection priority order of wireless network profiles to your preference in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Wireless Network Connection Priority while Connecting to Wireless Network
    • Option Two: To Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: Available network connections

Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Wireless Network Connection Priority while Connecting to Wireless Network
    1. While wireless network profile at the top of the priority order list. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note The wireless network profiles will be listed in priority order to connect to when in range.

Make note of the wireless network profile name (ex: "Brink-Router2") you want to change the priority order of.

Make note of the interface name (ex: "Wi-Fi 2") this wireless network profile (ex: "Brink-Router2") is on.

*Arrow netsh wlan show profiles

3. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow netsh wlan set profileorder name="WirelessProfileName" interface="InterfaceName" priority=#

*note Substitute WirelessProfileName in the command above with the actual wireless network profile name (ex: "Brink-Router2") from step 2.

Substitute InterfaceName in the command above with the actual interface name (ex: "Wi-Fi 2") from step 2.

Substitute # in the command above with a number (ex: "1") you want the wireless network profile to be listed as in the priority order list. For example, I have 2 wireless network profiles listed in step 2, so I can set to have the profiles listed in priority order between 1-2.

For example:

To set the "Brink-Router2" profile on the "Wi-Fi 2" interface first (top) in the connection priority order list.

netsh wlan set profileorder name="Brink-Router2" interface="Wi-Fi 2" priority=1

OR

To set the "Brink-Router" profile on the "Wi-Fi 2" interface second (bottom) in the connection priority order.

netsh wlan set profileorder name="Brink-Router" interface="Wi-Fi 2" priority=2

4. Repeat step 3 until you have all your wireless profiles listed in the priority order you want.

5. When finished, repeat step 2 to confirm the priority order. (see screenshot below)

6. When completely finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Try3, Mar 2, 2018
  2. Zaryabb Win User

Adapter priority setting unavailable in Windows 10

Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I wish to change the order of priority of my network adapters in Windows 10 but I am unable to do so. Please tell me how I can change the order of priority of my network adapters in windows 10. Thank you

Zaryabb, Mar 2, 2018
  3. Change order of preferred networks

I agree with Tom too. We used to be able to change order the wireless connections in the priority we wanted to connect first. I have two networks and my home office, my personal and my work. With this computer I need it to connect to my work network first.

cmmathison, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Denis, *Smile

The command in step 2 of Option Two should show your wireless networks listed in priority order. Top of the list is higher.

Brink, Mar 2, 2018
  5. Try3 Win User
    Shawn,

"My previous method of showing relative priorities does not show any change so it does not seem to be valid any more - the command netsh wlan show profiles used to list profiles in their priority order but it currently shows the expected sequence even though the wrong network has been chosen."

That's why I hoping to find a direct method of retrieving the priority.

Denis

Try3, Mar 2, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 2, 2018
  7. Try3 Win User
    Shawn,

Yes, sorry - I had connect automatically set but forgot to mention it.

By the way, the priority order is also shown in Settings, Networks, WiFi, Manage known networks, Sort by - Preference. [Ver 1709, I don't know when this was introduced] It's nice to have an MS confirmation of the relative priorities instead of just concluding it from observations of netsh results.

On one computer, I forgot all my wifi networks [and manually deleted what appeared to be remnant entries in the Registry profile list**] then set them up again.

** When I bought a new phone last Summer, I re-used the WiFi hotspot name ["Fred"] & security key from my old phone. In addition to the expected entry in the Registry profiles I also found an entry [that was actually the one in use] with the profile name Fred 2 & Description Fred yet that profile name was not reported by Netsh / Settings, they only reported Fred. Fred 2 was only shown in the tooltip as I hovered over the network icon in the TaskBar-SystemTray. It is possible that this is the root cause of my problem.

If the problem reoccurs on the other computer but not this one then I will have a decent basis for investigating exactly what is happening.

All the best,
    Denis

Try3, Mar 2, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

I look forward to hearing your findings if it should happen again.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Wireless Network

2. How to change the priority order for using the batteries?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change the priority order for using the batteries?: I'm using Microsoft surfacebook 2 with windows 11. If my computer is not connected to power source, then it tend to draw power from the tablet battery first, and then the battery in the base. This is very inconvenient because if I used the computer for a while without power...
  3. How to change the priority order for using the batteries?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change the priority order for using the batteries?: I'm using Microsoft surfacebook 2 with windows 11. If my computer is not connected to power source, then it tend to draw power from the tablet battery first, and then the battery in the base. This is very inconvenient because if I used the computer for a while without power...
  4. Wired & Wireless Simultaneous Connection - Priority?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wired & Wireless Simultaneous Connection - Priority?: Apparently, I have to keep my WiFi on my PC on for some other use, but mainly I use a wired connection to my router for internet. How does Windows 10 prioritize which connection to use (wired vs wireless) and how can I ensure that Windows 10 is forcing internet through the...
  5. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?

How to change network connection priority in Windows 10?: All the advice on line is telling me about advanced options and hitting the alt key when clicking it to give priority to a specific connectivity option. I don't see advanced options. I'm running Windows 10 Pro. A walk through would be helpful with screen shots where this...
  6. I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.

I'm not able to change the priority of my network connections.: System: Asus X450LC - Intel i5 4200u; NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M; 6gb of RAM. Windows 10. There are two internet connections at my house: One is the usual WiFi router - the other is a WiFi Extender. I connect simultaneously to both of those connections: TO THE WIFI...
  7. No boot priority order.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No boot priority order.: So I just got a new acer one 10 tablet the model is one S1003and when I enter the settings by pressing F2 while acer logo is there I get Main,Boot, and exit option only. I just wanted to get 64 bit on windows 10 because I have 32 bit windows 10 but there was no boot priority...
  8. Changing the Display Order of Network Connections

Changing the Display Order of Network Connections: This is going to sound very petty and unimportant, but it's niggling me, as I have found something annoying in Windows 10's display of network components. I have two Ethernet ports on my motherboard, the first of which is connected to my router, the second to my netbook,...
  9. How to change network connection priority in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change network connection priority in Windows 10: I want to change the priority of the network connection in Windows 10 so that they follow a specific order. When I have multiple network connections, I want to change the priority so the network I prefer will be the first one to use. I tried to follow the tutorial here,...
  10. Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10: How to: Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 How to Change Network Adapter Connection Priorities in Windows 10 A network connection is a set of information that enables your computer to connect to the Internet, a network, or another computer. When...