Windows 10: Create Custom Power Plan in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Custom Power Plan in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Custom Power Plan in Windows 10 How to Create a Custom Power Plan in Windows 10 A power plan is a collection of hardware and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Cliff S New Member

Create Custom Power Plan in Windows 10

How to: Create Custom Power Plan in Windows 10

How to Create a Custom Power Plan in Windows 10

A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how computers use and conserve power. A power plan is also known as a power scheme. You can create custom power plans that are optimized for specific computers.

By default, Windows 10 includes three built-in power plans: Balanced, Power Saver, and High Performance. You can customize these existing plans for your systems, create new plans that are based on the existing plans, or create a new power plan from scratch.

This tutorial will show you how to create a new custom power plan that can be used by all users on the Windows 10 PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Create Custom Power Plan in Power Options
    • Option Two: To Create Custom Power Plan in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Create Custom Power Plan in Power Options
    1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for how you would like to open Power Options.

2. Right click or press and hold on the step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

Create Custom Power Plan in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Open the step 5 below.

4. Open the step 5 below.

5. Click/tap on the Create a power plan link on the left side. (see screenshot below)

6. Select (dot) an existing power plan to base the new custom plan on, type in a plan name you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Create. (see screenshot below)

8. Your new custom power plan is now your Change plan settings to make any changes you want to the new custom power plan. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Create Custom Power Plan in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter. This will give you a list of all existing power plans on the PC along with their GUID. Make note of the GUID of the power plan (ex: high performance) you want to base the new custom plan on. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow powercfg /list

3. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to create a new custom power plan. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow powercfg -duplicatescheme GUID

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID you chose from step 2 above.

For example: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

4. Make note of the given GUID (ex: 48569655-ebee-4428-b456-512f207cddc2) for the new custom power plan. (see screenshot above)

5. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to rename the custom power plan to what you want. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow powercfg -changename GUID "name"

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID given for the custom power plan in step 4 above.

Substitute name in the command above with the name you want for the custom power plan.

For example:
    powercfg -changename 48569655-ebee-4428-b456-512f207cddc2 "My Custom Plan 1"

6. Type the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to make this new custom power plan your active plan. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow powercfg -setactive GUID

*note Substitute GUID in the command above with the actual GUID given for the custom power plan in step 4 above.

For example: powercfg -setactive 48569655-ebee-4428-b456-512f207cddc2

7. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

8. You can now change the settings of the custom power plan to what you want.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Mar 10, 2017
  2. Noela Tum Win User

windows 10 power on password

Hello,

In this case, to disable the power on password on your Windows 10 device, we recommend adjusting the Power Plan of your computer. The power plan and the
    Power options are designed to help you maintain the right power management options that fits your preference. You'll only see the
    Balanced (recommended) option. If you want another power plan, you can create a new one by selecting the
    Create a power plan option. Be sure to check out this
    article
    on how to create a custom power plan.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions.

Noela Tum, Mar 10, 2017
  3. KalifPL Win User
    Windows 10 and Power Plan on Desktop PC

Hi

I have a strange behavior in corporate domain environment with Power Plan GPP that applied to the windows 10 clients

What I did

- I created GPP for power plan (Computer Configuration, Update option) that creates new power plan with custom settings

- GPP is applied to all windows 10 clients: Laptop, Desktops and hyper-v machines

- No other GPOs or settings related to the Power options are set

The GPP is applied and:

- all clients have Power Plan created - OK

- On Laptop clients, regular users can change the plan and their settings - OK

- On hyper-v and Desktops regular user are not allowed to change the Power Plan, administrator rights are required - NOT OK

So the problem is how to allow (or why those options are blocked) for the regular users on Desktops clients to change Power Plan settings?

any Ideas?

KalifPL, Mar 10, 2017
  4. Cliff S New Member

I just tried creating a custom power plan to run my 4.9GHz OC at 4.5GHz max.
    It doesn't work*Sad

I tested with CPU-Z and set the min & max to 92%, which should run a little more than 4.5GHz,
    but the custom plan stays at 4.0GHz(BIOS default for the 6700K).

It seems making changes in percentage to the max freq in all plans uses the default CPU freq and downclocks.

In my case instead of 4.5GHz, no matter the plan, 92% gives only 3.6GHz*Sad

Am I missing something?

Or am I stuck using my OC Profiles in UEFI/BIOS, if I want to set the OC to run a slower.

Note: Balanced runs as it should, between 0.800 and 4.9, it's just changing the max freq in power plan that screws everything up*Confused

Cliff S, Apr 3, 2017
  5. seinilol Win User
    Hi,

I use for more than a year now a script that I have created, to set and edit a power plan in 2 clicks.

This one aims to deactivate all Sleeps, and disable turn off or going to sleep with hardware buttons.

Code: powercfg -SETACTIVE 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP STANDBYIDLE 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP STANDBYIDLE 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP HIBERNATEIDLE 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP HIBERNATEIDLE 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP HYBRIDSLEEP 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP HYBRIDSLEEP 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_DISK DISKIDLE 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_DISK DISKIDLE 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS LIDACTION 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS LIDACTION 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS PBUTTONACTION 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS PBUTTONACTION 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS SBUTTONACTION 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS SBUTTONACTION 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS UIBUTTON_ACTION 2 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_BUTTONS UIBUTTON_ACTION 2 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP RTCWAKE 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_SLEEP RTCWAKE 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_PCIEXPRESS ASPM 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_PCIEXPRESS ASPM 0 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_VIDEO VIDEOIDLE 900 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_VIDEO VIDEOIDLE 900 powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_VIDEO 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee 0 powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c SUB_VIDEO 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee 0 powercfg -h off[/quote] If it can help anyone, I'm glad *Smile

I read a lot of good things on this forum, I wanted to give something back, as small as it is.

Thanks *Smile

seinilol, Apr 3, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member

Huh?
    With the creators update, we can choose our max Freq?

That's funny that it shows up after I made the above post about the percent's not working right.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting. Mine were set to 0.

It would be better if it was for GHz instead of MHz though.

Brink, Apr 5, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

Mine was at 0 too, maybe that is just for default of what is in BIOS, until you change it.
    But I did try setting mine to 4700(my daily OC is 4900) and ran Disk Cleanup, Update cleanup and the whole shebang, which always maxes my CPU for a short burst, and it went no higher than 4.7GHz.
    I need to try it benchmarking to really test it> my project for the weekend I guess.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2017
  9. Cliff S New Member
    A quick check using Aida64

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting that your max didn't change for 4400, but only current.

Brink, Apr 5, 2017
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Min, ma,x and average are what was, not what is.
    If I had cleared the stability test after "down clocking" it would have read 4400.

Cliff S, Apr 6, 2017
  12. Cliff S New Member
    After setting my Balanced option to 4400MHz(4.4GHz) for the last week, it has kept my CPU down clocked, hence a bit cooler(around 30°C) when I use it for day to day stuff, and when I want to bench mark, or run a couple of Hyper-V VMs sided by side and have them react snappy; I can switch to High Performance and the system uses my 4.9GHz overclock, which runs at about 38°C to high 40's normal use and low 70's heavy use.

So this downclock setting is pretty useful.

I bet it will be very handy for laptops(specially gaming ones with unlocked HK SKU's) and other portable devices for battery life(higher clocks = more power draw) and keeping them cool.

Cliff S, Apr 14, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey @Cliff S,

After more reading on this, 0 is for unlimited.

Brink, Apr 14, 2017
  14. Cliff S New Member
    I just got back from work(had to work 5 hours today), thanks for the info.

So others might understand, what ever your CPU is capable of,
    and for K(desktop CPU) & HK(laptop CPU), and what ever your BIOS Bclk and/or Multiplier settings are.

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Create Custom Power Plan in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Custom Power

2. Can't create ultimate power plan because unable to create new power plan

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't create ultimate power plan because unable to create new power plan: Hi! I have a problem in my windows 10 computer. I can't create ultimate performance in my PC because it say "Unable to create a new power scheme The power scheme, subgroup or setting specified does not exist."I have try to download Ultimate_Performance.pow too, it say...
  3. Can't create ultimate power plan because unable to create new power plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create ultimate power plan because unable to create new power plan: Hi! I have a problem in my windows 10 computer. I can't create ultimate performance in my PC because it say "Unable to create a new power scheme The power scheme, subgroup or setting specified does not exist."I have try to download Ultimate_Performance.pow too, it say...
  4. Can't create ultimate power plan because unable to create new power plan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MISSING POWER PLAN - Can only create a 'Balanced' power plan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MISSING POWER PLAN - Can only create a 'Balanced' power plan: Hi, I've had this problem for a while but thought I'd finally post a question. I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 and windows 11, and while I am trying to create a 'high performance' power plan, the option just doesn't show up. The only option I have available to me is to create...
  6. MISSING POWER PLAN - Can only create a 'Balanced' power plan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MISSING POWER PLAN - Can only create a 'Balanced' power plan: Hi, I've had this problem for a while but thought I'd finally post a question. I have a Dell XPS 15 9570 and windows 11, and while I am trying to create a 'high performance' power plan, the option just doesn't show up. The only option I have available to me is to create...
  7. Windows 10 power plan

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 power plan: Hello guys, Last night I started a render queue in Cinema 4D (3d animation tool) and was under the assumption that the queue would be rendered when I woke up this morning. To bad that wasn't the case because I forgot to switch the power plan to NOT put my PC into sleeping...
  8. power plan on windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power plan on windows 10: HI since the last time I installed windows 10 on my computer the power plans don't work anymore. no idea how to fix since it has been happening since the reinstall. Didn't get any errors reinstalling it but still no joy. Tried the troubleshooter but it said it couldn't find...
  9. No Power Plans Available and Can't Create One

in Windows 10 Support
    No Power Plans Available and Can't Create One: I have no power plans available and can't create one. I've tried using PowerCfg to fix it, but it didn't work. [img] [img] [img] [img] [img] 153684
  10. How to create a new power plan based on an existing custom (OEM) plan ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to create a new power plan based on an existing custom (OEM) plan ?: Beside the usual, Windows default "Balanced" power plan, my new Dell laptop has a custom OEM power plan (named "Dell"). I'd like to create my own power plan, but Win10 only allows me to create one based on the Balanced one, not the OEM (Dell) one. I'd prefer to start from...