Windows 10: Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account

Discus and support Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account How to Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from your Microsoft... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by sportsfan148, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account

How to: Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account

How to Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from your Microsoft Account

When Microsoft account.

The settings and app data you choose to sync are also saved in OneDrive (cloud).

You can choose to sync your theme, passwords, language preferences, Ease of Access, and Other Windows settings settings. If you turn on Other Windows settings, Windows syncs some device settings (for things like printers and mouse options), File Explorer settings, and notification preferences. For a complete list of settings that Windows can sync, see Windows 10 roaming settings reference.

This tutorial will show you how to delete your sync settings from OneDrive for Windows 10 devices that you have signed in to with your Microsoft account.

Here's How:

1. Microsoft account.

*note If you use multiple PCs, tablets, or phones with your Microsoft account, you will have to do this on each one.

2. Go to the Delete your personal settings from the cloud webpage at Microsoft, and click/tap on the Remove button. (see screenshot below)

*note You will be prompted to sign in with your Microsoft account first if you're not already.

Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

4. Your sync settings have now been deleted. (see screenshot below)

*note Your sync settings might not be deleted from the cloud immediately: some info might remain on Microsoft's cloud servers until the next scheduled clean-up process.

5. You can now turn on sync settings again at any time for your Windows 10 devices you want. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

sportsfan148, Mar 16, 2018

2. Deleting Microsoft Information From Desktop but not laptop or phone

I purchased a new Windows 10 desktop and set up it with my Microsoft Account. My Samsung Galaxy phone and Dell Laptop(Windows 10) are all synced thru the Microsoft Account. I am returning the Desktop and want to delete all Microsoft Account information without
    deleting it from the other devices ( don't want to lose the data). How can I do this? HELP! I'm running out of time on this project.

Carolyn9103, Mar 16, 2018
  3. How to clear Windows 10 Sync Cloud Backup?

"When sync is turned on, Windows keeps track of the settings you care about and sets them for you on all your Windows 10 devices."

I am curious how to delete the cloud backup for Windows 10 on my Microsoft account so it won't sync a previous installation's settings.

mythicdawn, Mar 16, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account

Hello sportsfan, *Smile

If your sync settings don't get deleted immediately, it will usually within 24 hours.

Brink, Mar 16, 2018
  5. Hi Brink Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account :)
    Is that definitely what happens? I don't want to start a clean installation and then find that my old personal settings haven't been removed and are synced back from the cloud.
    It seems strange if they aren't removed immediately because as soon as you clean install I know the sync settings option is enabled by default so you'd just get old settings set up again. I wondered if the personal settings might be disabled after being removed until they are permanently removed from Microsoft servers so that the old personal settings couldn't be synced straight back after being removed from the cloud?

sportsfan148, Mar 16, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    There's no guarantee, but that is what usually will happen.

The key after deleting your sync settings is to make sure that sync settings remain turned off on all your devices until after you clean install, and only turn sync settings back on afterwards for the devices you want to sync between.

Brink, Mar 17, 2018
  7. In my case..I don't have any other devices to sync to. I only have my laptop. The reason I use sync is so that all my favourites are synced back to Internet Explorer/Edge and any Settings changes are synced too. So if the old sync settings are still in the cloud..they'll just come straight back onto my laptop. Have I got that right?
    The reason Ive removed my old personal settings this afternoon is I want to do a completely clean install without those old personal settings coming back. I want to start over with everything from scratch. Just for the record Ive had the sync settings option turned off on my laptop ever since I removed the old personal settings this afternoon so that nothing can be synced back to the cloud until after I do the clean installation.. signing in with my Microsoft Account

sportsfan148, Mar 17, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct. If your sync settings are still on the cloud, they'll get synced back after a clean install since sync settings is turned on by default.

Worse case, you could still manually change any settings that got synced again though.

Brink, Mar 17, 2018
  9. Yeah..I was trying to avoid having to go through and check everything and change any settings back manually if possible

10. Hi again mate,
    I have another question. At the bottom of the Windows Personal Settings/Delete your personal settings from the cloud page there's a link to delete backed up PC settings for your PC's go to the Device Settings page which takes you into Onedrive. Under Device Backups-Backed Up Device settings Ive always just had the message "You don't have any devices that are backing up settings to OneDrive". Ive never had any backups in there ever since I started using Windows 10. I only have one laptop. I don't have any other devices using Windows.
    I remember when I had Windows 8 there were always individual backups in there that could be used during Windows setup or deleted if not required anymore but since I started with Windows 10..no backups

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The device backup on OneDrive would be for devices like tablets or Windows 10 Mobile phones instead of a PC.

Brink, Mar 17, 2018
  12. Thanks for clearing that up for me

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Mar 17, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Please let us know how it went.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  15. sygnus21 Win User
    I can’t seem to get a clear answer, so I try here…

My "Favorites" under Edge is messed up with many duplicates. Anyway, looking around to solve the issue has revealed the issue may be a corrupt data file under your Microsoft Account.

That said, my question… If I delete my personal settings under my account, I assume a new set will be created once I enable Sync settings again? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but need to be sure. And hopefully solve my edge sync issues.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Apr 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Delete Sync Settings for Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Delete Sync Settings

2. Delete a microsoft account on a device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete a microsoft account on a device: I want to sign out this account the red thing There used to be nothing at that red place but now I can't figure how to sign out or delete that account from my computer. Help me please [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  3. Can't delete a device from microsoft account.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't delete a device from microsoft account.: When I try to delete an unused computer from my Microsoft account, I logon to my account, select the device, and then select "more actions"; but there is no option to delete or remove. The only option that comes up is "Get support". When posting the above, the drop-down...
  4. Delete device from Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Delete device from Microsoft account: How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-device-from-microsoft-account/c228992b-a9fc-4503-8a7b-27fa762c01f0"
  5. Deleting a device from my Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Deleting a device from my Microsoft account: How do I delete a device from my Microsoft account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-a-device-from-my-microsoft-account/bb932813-f1b9-46f6-8dfc-fcf26073f86a
  6. Sync settings-Delete personal Settings from the Cloud?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sync settings-Delete personal Settings from the Cloud?: Hi All, I want to wipe the slate clean so that my Synced PC settings that are stored with my Microsoft Account are wiped clean and can start again from scratch. So yesterday I turned off Sync Settings under Accounts/Sync your Settings on my laptops and then I deleted my...
  7. Sync settings-Delete personal Settings from the Cloud?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sync settings-Delete personal Settings from the Cloud?: Hi All, I want to wipe the slate clean so that my Synced PC settings that are stored with my Microsoft Account are wiped clean and can start again from scratch. So yesterday I turned off Sync Settings under Accounts/Sync your Settings on my laptops and then I deleted my...
  8. Delete account in sync settings in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete account in sync settings in windows 10: I have an account in my sync settings in windows 10 that is not mine. How do I delete the account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/delete-account-in-sync-settings-in-windows-10/87076e4b-159d-452a-98b8-8bb43afc4b9f
  9. Microsoft account - Devices not in sync with actual devices

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account - Devices not in sync with actual devices: When going into my Microsoft account, then under 'Devices', there are 4 devices linked. The number of devices is correct, but that's it. All other data is incorrect, or outdated. I have 2 'real' PC's and 2 VM's using 1 single retail Windows 10 Pro and 3 upgrades from...
  10. Turn On or Off Sync Settings for Microsoft Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Sync Settings for Microsoft Account in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Sync Settings for Microsoft Account in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Sync Your Settings in Windows 10 When Microsoft account. Notes Sync settings also works if you sign in with a work or school account linked to your Microsoft account. If...