Windows 10: Display dims on battery power

Discus and support Display dims on battery power in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; No matter how many settings I tweak, I cannot get the display on my laptop to remain bright if I unplug it. It dims to an unacceptable level Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SteveLoudon, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Display dims on battery power

No matter how many settings I tweak, I cannot get the display on my laptop to remain bright if I unplug it. It dims to an unacceptable level Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. Thanks

:)

SteveLoudon, Oct 10, 2019
  2. MikeQpmz Win User

Laptop display dim, but only on battery

After upgrade to W10 from 8.1, Laptop display is dim, but only when I boot up on battery power. Samsung NP470R5E with Intel HD Graphics 4000

When plugged in, the display has normal brightness.

If I disconnect the power it stays bright.

If I shutdown and restart on battery, the display is dim and cannot be brightened with the function keys.

When I go into settings, all display indicators falsely report 100% brightness.

If I connect mains power after starting on battery, the display remains dim.

All display and monitor drivers have been reviewed and are up to date.

All monitor and display drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled.

All battery power saving setting have been reviewed. Everything reset to maximum performance.

All display and monitor settings have been reviewed, including advanced settings, and set to maximum performance/100% brightness, etc.

Multiple other combinations of settings tested for battery and display.

sfc/scannow did not find any "integrity violations"

Display remained dim after restart on battery in all tested combinations of settings

MikeQpmz, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Add or Remove "Dim display after" in Power Options using Command Prompt

How to Add or Remove "Dim display after" from Power Options in Windows

The Dim display after setting in Power Options allows users to specify how long in minutes your computer is inactive before the display dims. This setting applies only to portable computers (ex: laptop or tablet) that support Windows control of the brightness level of an integrated display device.

*note If you did not originally have the Dim display after setting available, then it means it is not supported on your computer. Instead, the display will automatically dim by the set Turn off display after time.

If Dim display after is set to 0 minutes, then the display will not dim.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Dim display after setting under Display in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Dim display after" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Dim display after" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Dim display after" in Power Options

Display dims on battery power [​IMG]

OPTION ONE
    Add or Remove "Dim display after" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO 17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Add or Remove "Dim display after" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloaded .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Dim display after" to Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Dim_display_after_to_Power_Options.reg

3. To Remove "Dim display after" from Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Dim_display_after_from_Power_Options.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Display dims on battery power

Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using Command Prompt

How to Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" from Power Options in Windows

The dim display after idle timeout has been reached. This setting applies only to portable computers (ex: laptop or tablet) that support Windows control of the brightness level of an integrated display device.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Dimmed display brightness setting under Display in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options

OPTION ONE
    Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO f1fbfde2-a960-4165-9f88-50667911ce96 -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_VIDEO f1fbfde2-a960-4165-9f88-50667911ce96 +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO
    Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloaded .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\7516b95f-f776-4464-8c53-06167f40cc99\f1fbfde2-a960-4165-9f88-50667911ce96

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Dimmed display brightness" to Power Options

Add_Dimmed_display_brightness_to_Power_Options.reg

3. To Remove "Dimmed display brightness" from Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.

Remove_Dimmed_display_brightness_from_Power_Options.reg

4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Display dims on battery power

1. Display dims on battery power - Similar Threads - Display dims battery

2. How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?: My Gigabyte laptop dims to the lowest brightness at 35% on battery power, but there is no setting to turn this off. How do I stop this from happening?Battery saver is set to turn on at 20%. This slightly dims the display, but not to the lowest setting.There is nothing about...
  3. How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I stop my display from dimming at 35% on battery power?: My Gigabyte laptop dims to the lowest brightness at 35% on battery power, but there is no setting to turn this off. How do I stop this from happening?Battery saver is set to turn on at 20%. This slightly dims the display, but not to the lowest setting.There is nothing about...
  4. Windows 10 Pro - Battery power screen dimming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro - Battery power screen dimming: I am running Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo Yoga and whenever I'm on battery power my screen dims dramatically and brightens again intermittently and constantly. I tried looking it up on line, but it appears that the solution in Windows 10 is different than the solution in 10 Pro...
  5. Windows 10 Pro - Battery power screen dimming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro - Battery power screen dimming: I am running Windows 10 Pro on a Lenovo Yoga and whenever I'm on battery power my screen dims dramatically and brightens again intermittently and constantly. I tried looking it up on line, but it appears that the solution in Windows 10 is different than the solution in 10 Pro...
  6. Windows 10 Pro - Battery power screen dimming

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. When using battery power, the screen brightness will be dimmed.

When using battery power, the screen brightness will be dimmed.: When using battery power, the screen brightness will be dimmed. Many ways can not be solved. It seems that when I unplug the power, the screen will automatically enter the brightness of the power-saving mode, but I didn't turn on the power-saving mode at all. In the display...
  8. Display dims on battery power, even when fully charged.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display dims on battery power, even when fully charged.: Hi All, An annoying problem here, can you please help me. My laptop display dims on battery power, even when fully charged. Every time I need to readjust the brightness. I went through the settings I could not get the setting where we set brightness for Battery and...
  9. Display dims on battery power, even when fully charged.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display dims on battery power, even when fully charged.: Hi All, An annoying problem here, can you please help me. My laptop display dims on battery power, even when fully charged. Every time I need to readjust the brightness. I went through the settings I could not get the setting where we set brightness for Battery and...
  10. Laptop display dim, but only on battery

Laptop display dim, but only on battery: After upgrade to W10 from 8.1, Laptop display is dim, but only when I boot up on battery power. Samsung NP470R5E with Intel HD Graphics 4000 When plugged in, the display has normal brightness. If I disconnect the power it stays bright. If I shutdown and restart on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. display dims on battery power