Windows 10: Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10

Discus and support Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Oct 2019 An ongoing problem with windows 10 photo app and "Pictures" files: duplicate photos I have not asked for. For example, I just imported... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Inkweaver, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Inkweaver Win User

Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10

Oct 2019

An ongoing problem with windows 10 photo app and "Pictures" files: duplicate photos I have not asked for.

For example, I just imported photos from my iPhone and I have SEVEN (7) copies of each photo. The duplicates are in the pictures file, and in the photos app.

1) Why does this happen

2) How do I make it stop happening

3) Can I search for duplicate photos and tell the program to delete duplicates? (the program adds a number after the duplicate like this: original is IMG_6644.JPG the copy is IMG_6644 (1).JPG. The second copy is IMG_6644 (2).JPG , etc )

4) Does the program screen for duplicates so it will not import the same photo again? If not, this would be a good feature to add.

Please note that I did not request a duplicate; I did not try to move or do anything to the photos that would have caused this.

Thought: if an import fails, does it cause duplicates?

This is really annoying and keeps happening. I suspect there is a setting or software glitch somewhere that results in photos/pictures making unrequested copies.

:)

Inkweaver, Oct 16, 2019

2. Photo App displaying deleted folder pictures on Windows 10.

Hi Mike,

The above issue might have occur due to the following reasons:

• Photos stored on OneDrive
    • Duplicate of the picture file saved on the computer.
    • Corrupted/missing app files & folders.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Do you have duplicates of the deleted picture stored on the PC?
    • Have you stored the deleted picture folder on OneDrive?

If you have saved a copy of deleted picture folder on the computer, the photos will be displayed if
    Linked duplicates option is switched to On status in
    Photo app.

Method 1: Follow the steps below to disable
    Linked duplicates option from Photo app and check if the issue is resolved.

• Open Photo app and click on Settings or
      gear icon from the left bottom corner of the app window.
    • From the right side panel, check if Linked duplicates option is switched to
      On status. If yes, slide the bar to Off and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, run
    Windows apps troubleshooter to check if the any of the app files are missing or corrupted.

In many cases, the Windows Store will automatically notify you if there’s a problem with an app and try to fix the problem. If you continue experiencing problems with an app, this tool can automatically identify and fix some problems
    with apps and the Store.

Write to us with the status of the Photo app displaying deleted pictures on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Neondon47 Win User
    Duplicate pictures in Win10 photos

Thanks for saving me some time. I will have to live with duplicate photos until Microsoft, Adobe, and Canon get Windows 10 working. I assume that the duplicates are just icons, not the duplicate files themselves. I had the same trouble with Windows 7
    and ended up deleting some of the files by mistake. Thanks to anyone with more help.

Neondon47, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10

Turn On or Off Linked Duplicates in Windows 10 Photos app  

How to Turn On or Off Linked Duplicates in Windows 10 Photos app

The 3D effects like butterflies, lasers, or explosions that magically appear in your video.

When linked duplicates is turned on (default) in the Photos app, exact duplicate files are shown as a single file. This might include copies saved in different folders, and RAW files.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off showing linked duplicates as a single file in the Photos app for your account in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open the Photos app.

2. Click/tap on the See more (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10 [​IMG]

3. Under the Viewing and editing settings, turn on (default) or off Linked duplicates for what you want. (see screenshot below)

Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10 [​IMG]

4. You can now close the Photos app if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

Shawn Brink, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10

1. Duplicate photos in photos app and Pictures files windows 10 - Similar Threads - Duplicate photos photos

2. Duplicate pictures made in Photo Imports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicate pictures made in Photo Imports: I am running the latest version of Photos App on Windows 10. OneDrive on my Android phone automatically imports my new pictures into the correct /Pictures/Camera Roll/Year/Month folder. Recently, when I select photos from this folder to create a new album, the album is...
  3. Duplicate pictures made in Photo Imports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate pictures made in Photo Imports: I am running the latest version of Photos App on Windows 10. OneDrive on my Android phone automatically imports my new pictures into the correct /Pictures/Camera Roll/Year/Month folder. Recently, when I select photos from this folder to create a new album, the album is...
  4. photos app and pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    photos app and pictures: Why is it that the photos app duplicates photos into the pictures files? who needs that? The problem is that you cannot move photos to the pictures file or make new folders or choose where you want your pictures to go as it used to be. And why in the world are there two...
  5. photos app and pictures

photos app and pictures: Why is it that the photos app duplicates photos into the pictures files? who needs that? The problem is that you cannot move photos to the pictures file or make new folders or choose where you want your pictures to go as it used to be. And why in the world are there two...
  6. a PC Photo Duplicate APP

a PC Photo Duplicate APP: Has anyone found a PHOTO DUPLICATE APP for (Windows) PC...that works? I had found a great one 2 years ago. It is no longer available. Thank you. I have 100,000+ photos and can NOT find any Programs/Apps that locates Dupes. Thank you! n Nashville...
  7. Photos App Duplications

Photos App Duplications: Photos App. How do I stop Photos from duplicating. I don't understand why it does it. Am I hitting some key I'm not aware of to cause 2,3,or 4 duplicates (copy) https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-duplications/70619657-4ad8-4012-b37e-b5992dfa6e84
  8. Photo App creating duplicates

Photo App creating duplicates: When I import photos into Windows 10 from my phone each picture is shown as duplicated in the app. If I open file explorer there is only one picture in the original folder. I do not understand why it shows two of everything in the photo app. Is anyone else experiencing this...
  9. Windows 10 Photo App and File Explorer Pictures

Windows 10 Photo App and File Explorer Pictures: Hi there I am trying to incorporate my older File Explorer Picture Files into albums on the Windows 10 App. Essentially I want to copy the individual folders onto the Photo App but I haven't been able to do this. I've gone to the Import tab and select the folder but it...
  10. Windows Photo app keeps importing duplicate photos

Windows Photo app keeps importing duplicate photos: I'm new to Windows 10 so maybe this is easy, but I can't find an answer to my question. I've already uploaded photos from my camera to my new laptop. Since the last upload, I've taken more pictures and went to upload the new ones today. However, the Photos app 'Refresh'...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 and linked duplicates

2. problem with windows 10 photo app files keep duplicating update 1903