Windows 10: Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information By default in Windows 10, users are able to change their lock screen background image to Windows Spotlight, picture, or a slideshow as often as they like.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to change the lock screen background image for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable changing the lock screen background.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background Image using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background Image using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Lock Screen Background Settings Disabled

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background Image using Group Policy

Note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization

3. In the right pane of Personalization in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Prevent changing lock screen and logon image policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Changing Lock Screen Background Image
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Changing Lock Screen Background Image
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background Image using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization

NoChangingLockScreen DWORD

0 or delete = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Changing Lock Screen Background Image
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_changing_lock_screen_background.reg

Download

3. To Disable Changing Lock Screen Background Image
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_changing_lock_screen_background.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 14, 2017

2. Lock screen background keep changing

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand your concern about lock screen background, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to personalize the lock screen and check if it helps:

Change your lock screen background:

• Right click on Desktop, click on Personalization, and on
      Lock screen in the left pane.
    • Here, under Background (click on the drop down arrow) you will see
      Windows spotlight, Picture, Slideshow.
    • Select Windows Spotlight, lock the screen (Press Windows key + L) and check if it helps.
    • Also, you can select Picture, Choose your picture, lock the screen and check if the issue persists.

For more information refer: Personalize your lock screen

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Unable to Apply Lock Screen Wallpaper.

Hello Priyatosh, and welcome to Ten Forums. Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 :)

Are you joined to a domain? If so, you'll need to talk to the domain administrator since it would be a policy they set.

If not, then you might see if using step 2 in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below to enable changing the lock screen background may help. It's the same setting in Windows 10.

Lock Screen Background Image - Enable or Disable Changing in Windows 8

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Edwin Win User

Edwin, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How to change sign-in screen (NOT lock screen) background?

Yes you can change the sign-in screen background.

Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10.

Follow these simple steps below together with these screenshots

from this guide

Step 1: Head over to your Settings and then
    Personalization.

Step 2: Once you’re here select the Lock screen tab and enable the
    Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen option.

If you want to change the background of your sign in screen then you can do that.

All you have to is just:

Step 1: Do you see that Windows Spotlight option? Yeah that gives you all the spectacular background images from various beautiful places in the world.

You can also select Picture or Slideshow if you want your own family photos, or pictures that you simply want to cherish each day by using it as your background on your Windows 10.

Do note that the image that you select here will appear as both your lock screen background and your sign in background.

If you instead want to go with a flat color rather than a background image itself then follow these simple steps:

Step 1: Go ahead and disable the Show lock screen background picture on the sign in screen.

Step 2: Once you have done that, head over to your Settings, then
    Personalization, and then finally Colors.

You can try and experiment with these three options and see what you like. Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 :)

Let me know how it goes.

Source: 2 Simple Steps to Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10 - Saint

jakekovoor, Oct 26, 2019
  6. JulianH Win User
    Change Lock Screen Background in Windows 10  

No, that is not the problem! The problem is the lock screen is set to show a picture, the picture shows correctly with Win-L lock screen but the Sign-In screen shows plain colour

The Win-L Lock Screen

The Sign-In Screen

Windows Lock Screen Settings

These were just taken so this is what is happening at the present time. To make the picture appear on the Sign-In Screen, I have to disable Ctrl-Alt-Del, enabling it again after a reboot just gives the same problem.

JulianH, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Changing

2. Lock screen background not changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen background not changing: When I was changing my lock screen background, I was expecting to see a slideshow of pictures I taken but instead I was greeted with a Windows XP background. I am so confused on why this had happened as I have absolutely no idea how this has happened as well as I already had...
  3. Changing Lock Screen Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Lock Screen Background: I currently have my lock screen background set to a slideshow with a mix of some of my favorite art and photography. However, Windows seems to have chosen a 'default' image that it returns to when I click to sign in - it also always starts the slideshow with this image,...
  4. Changing Lock Screen Background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Lock Screen Background: I currently have my lock screen background set to a slideshow with a mix of some of my favorite art and photography. However, Windows seems to have chosen a 'default' image that it returns to when I click to sign in - it also always starts the slideshow with this image,...
  5. Changing Lock Screen Background

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. How to Enable or Disable Lock Screen Background Motion in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Lock Screen Background Motion in Windows 11: [ATTACH]For Windows 11 device that has an accelerometer (a tool that measures proper acceleration), the Lock Screen background by default will pan around a still image as you physically move your device. PC users that prefer a traditional static lock screen background image,...
  7. Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In Windows 10, you can decide how long you want each image to be […] This article Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Changing the lock screen background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing the lock screen background: I have just bought a new HP laptop with Windows 10. I am trying to change the lock screen but the box to choose an image is greyed out and I have a red message saying 'some of these settings are hidden or managed by your organisation.' This is weird as this is my personal...
  9. Change Lock Screen Background in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Lock Screen Background in Windows 10: How to: Change Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 How to Change your Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 The lock screen is the screen you see at startup and when you lock the PC. You will need to dismiss the lock screen to be able to see the sign in screen and sign...
  10. Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Option One: To Enable or Disable Lock Screen using Group Policy

2. how to enable lock screen changing wallpaper