Windows 10: Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature of Windows Update in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ArmeF97, Jan 25, 2017.

1. ArmeF97 Win User

Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature of Windows Update in Windows 10

Windows Update keeps Windows 10 updated by downloading and installing the latest updates, drivers, and hotfixes released by Microsoft.

Starting with Insiders[/b]) or 35 days (non Insiders). Some updates, like Windows Defender definition updates, will continue to be installed.

Starting with Windows 10 version 1809, you can use a new group policy to remove access to "Pause updates" feature.

Starting with Windows 10 pause updates.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable access to the Pause updates feature of Windows Update for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable pause updates.

*note If you disable access to Pause updates feature with pause updates turned on, access to the feature doesn't actually get disabled until after you resume updates to turn off pause updates.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Pause Updates using Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Pause Updates using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Pause Updates Enabled and Disabled in Windows Update

Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Pause Updates using Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below to set this policy.
    1. If you have paused updates, you will need to turn off pause updates (resume updates) before continuing.

2. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

3. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update

4. In the right pane of Windows Update in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Remove access to "Pause updates" feature policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

5. Do step 6 (enable) or step 7
    (disable) below for what you would like to do.

6. To Enable Pause Updates
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step8 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. Disable Pause Updates
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. Close the Local Group Policy Editor.

9. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Pause Updates using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

SetDisablePauseUXAccess DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. If you have paused updates, you will need to turn off pause updates (resume updates) before continuing.

2. Do step 3 (enable) or step 4 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Enable Pause Updates
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Enable_Pause_updates_feature.reg

Download

4. To Disable Pause Updates
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_Pause_updates_feature.reg

Download

5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. Restart the computer to apply.

9. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ArmeF97, Jan 25, 2017
  2. DellK Win User

Brink,
    ... This I have done numerous times but to no avail. I use disk imaging, so I am able to return the system to a previous state to re-test. On first launch of Windows 10, the Pause option is dabbled, and the text is enabled. I then run the patch and reboot. The Pause option is disabled and the text is still enabled - not greyed-out as in the initial image.

However, if I enable then disable the Pause option, the text then becomes greyed-out.

DellK, Oct 27, 2019
  3. DellK Win User

Brink,

Another interesting point ... there is no WindowsUpdate key available on this system:

DellK, Oct 27, 2019
  4. DellK Win User

Brink,

Okay, from this screen, what should I be doing? Man, I would love to know what I missing here?

DellK, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Brink Win User

After some more testing doing the same as you, I can confirm that you do need to turn off pause updates before you disable it.

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  6. W1zzard Win User
    Windows 10 update being enabled.

My experience was that disabling Windows Update service works for a while until suddenly that service is magically enabled again and starts updating everything.

W1zzard, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Pause Updates Feature in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Pause

2. disable pause updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disable pause updates: I have never pressed that option, I always let my computer automatically update. Now it will not let me resume updates until tomorrow, 08-12-21 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-pause-updates/81770c16-c740-439d-bd6e-23d619982ff2
  3. Enable / Disable windows updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Enable / Disable windows updates: Hello,Referring to tutorial 8013- enable-disable-windows-update.....Using "Wu10Man", you say that after setting it, it can be closed.Using "WAU Manager", this has to run all the time in the background or just when needed ?Answers will be appreciated.Thankswindows 10 pro x64,...
  4. Disable Windows 10 features update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Windows 10 features update: Would it be possible to permanently disable Windows 10 features update but allow security updates to take place normally. 174723
  5. Updates and the Pause feature

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updates and the Pause feature: Hi Why is there a pause feature for updates? I don't understand the reasoning behind that? When an update comes through I want to do the update. Thanks Pati Riley...
  6. How to disable windows update pause feature

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable windows update pause feature: I accidentally clicked the windows pause button. But I am interested to get the updates whenever Microsoft releases it. Is there any procedure to enable my daily updates...
  7. Windows 10 Updates Are Ignoring the Pause Updates Feature

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Updates Are Ignoring the Pause Updates Feature: Three times now when I have my computer set to Pause Updates, Windows 10 keeps bypassing it then sneaking in bad updates. What is the point of pausing updates if Windows 10 is going to keep ignoring my request. I am trying to finish a project uploading large files then the...
  8. Upgraded to Windows 10 1903: Missing pause feature update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Upgraded to Windows 10 1903: Missing pause feature update: I recently upgrade 3 machines from Windows 10 Professional 1809 to 1903. I also did a fresh install of a 4th machine with Windows 10 Professional 1903. After the upgrade/install was finished, I set all 4 machines to defer future feature updates to 120 days. After a couple...
  9. Ways to Enable or Disable Optional Windows Features on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Ways to Enable or Disable Optional Windows Features on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows operating systems come with a lot of features. These features are sometimes are not intended to be used directly by normal customers. This means that only a small percentage of the huge user base of the operating system leverages [...] This post Ways to...
  10. Enable or Disable Access to Windows Features in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Access to Windows Features in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Access to Windows Features in Windows 10 [img] Information Some programs and features included with Windows, such as Internet Information Services, must be turned on before you can use them. Certain other features are turned on by default, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to enable the Pause updates feature