Windows 10: Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial is no longer valid in Windows 10. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Warning This tutorial is no longer valid in Windows 10.

The Full (standard) layout is now included in the Touch Keyboard by default to select.

*Arrow How to Change Layout of Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

Information You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. Windows 10 includes a touch keyboard for PCs.

The standard keyboard layout option for the touch keyboard includes all standard keys available, such as:
    • Windows key
    • Alt key
    • Esc key
    • Fn key
    • All F-keys (F1 - F12)
    This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the standard full keyboard layout as a touch keyboard option for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard Layout as Touch Keyboard Option in Settings
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard Layout as Touch Keyboard Option using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Standard keyboard layout on touch keyboard

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard Layout as Touch Keyboard Option in Settings

Note This option is only available if you have a touch screen.

If you don't, then you can use Option Two below instead.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on Devices.

2. Click/tap on Typing on the left side, and turn On or Off Add the standard keyboard layout as a touch keyboard option under Touch keyboard on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard Layout as Touch Keyboard Option using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\TabletTip\1.7

EnableCompatibilityKeyboard DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Standard Keyboard Layout as Touch Keyboard Option
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_standard_keyboard_layout_as_touch_keyboard_option.reg

Download

3. To Disable Standard Keyboard Layout as Touch Keyboard Option
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_standard_keyboard_layout_as_touch_keyboard_option.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Toggle to hide and show touch keyboard on taskbar to apply. (see screenshot below)

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 1, 2016
  2. Arun B J Win User

Permanently Enable Virtual Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

If you want to enable the Touch keyboard follow the steps

• Right Click on the taskbar
    • Click on Show touch keyboard button
    • Then you will be able to see the keyboard in the taskbar, whenever it’s required you can just click on the icon on the taskbar.
    It is not possible to disable the Auto-hide behavior of touch keyboard in Windows 10, whenever you use
    the physical keyboard then it will automatically hides the Touch Keyboard.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Disabling Touch Keyboard Windows 10

How do I disable touch keyboard an work from the standard keyboard in windows 10

SarahMason777, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

The Windows 10 Touch Keyboard is not using the Standard Keyboard Layout after upgrading to 1709 - How to fix this?

Reading everything, I found following solution:

- combination language NL and keyboard US (standard, not international) gives as result:

• keyboard options working: Standard keyboard, little, position, pencil
    • text suggestion working
    - combination language with different keyboard (US International, RU, etc.) gives as result:

• keyboard options working: little, position, pencil. Not working (grey): Standard keyboard
    • text suggestions working
    When you want use the combination: a different language + keyboard not US standard + standard keyboard, you need
    copied the following directories using command prompt from windows:

• "C:\Windows.old\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink" to -> "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink"
    • "C:\Windows.old\‏‏Program Files (x86)‎\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink" to -> "C:\‏‏Program Files (x86)‎\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink"
    Keyboard is changed by:

• settings touch keyboard>language>select language>options
    • Control panel>Language

In general:

• touchscreen keyboard acts a little bit slower, but for me acceptable
    • swiping does not work?
    • Better solution? Setting is more easy, but the functionality is less. I hope that Microsoft will improve the touch keyboard in the future...

GijsRoeloffzen, Oct 26, 2019
  5. richs5122 Win User
    Disable Automatic Activation of Touch Keyboard

I would like to totally disable the either the keyboard or stylus box from opening when the type cover is attached. It appears to open whenever the stylus is used regardless of whether the keyboard is attached. Any suggestions for disabling the popup box?

richs5122, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Touch keyboard pops up at login

If the above steps didn't work, we suggest that you disable the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. Please follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Services, and then press Enter.
    • On the right pane, look for Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service. Double-click on it.
    • Locate the Startup Type drop down, and change it to Disabled.
    • Click on Apply button to save changes.
    • Click on OK button to close the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service
      window.

Let us know how it goes.

Janeane Cru, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

1. Enable or Disable Standard Keyboard for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Standard

2. How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?: So I have a question. Does touch-keyboard really have sound effects? So how do I enable that?, your answer will be greatly appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-touch-keyboard-typing-sound/9afdc368-c6ac-4a07-ae9e-a7fe1b3a308b
  3. How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How To Enable Touch-Keyboard Typing Sound?: So I have a question. Does touch-keyboard really have sound effects? So how do I enable that?, your answer will be greatly appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-touch-keyboard-typing-sound/9afdc368-c6ac-4a07-ae9e-a7fe1b3a308b
  4. Disable WMR Touch Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable WMR Touch Keyboard: So this has been asked by MANY people already for the last few years and you seemingly have done nothing. I've seen it on post after post in various forums including on the microsoft site. Hell there was even a reply from one of your team I think 3 years ago saying that's a...
  5. Disable WMR Touch Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable WMR Touch Keyboard: So this has been asked by MANY people already for the last few years and you seemingly have done nothing. I've seen it on post after post in various forums including on the microsoft site. Hell there was even a reply from one of your team I think 3 years ago saying that's a...
  6. disable/enable keyboard and keyboard mouse feature?

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable/enable keyboard and keyboard mouse feature?: Hello, I have a Inspiron 7370 with a touch screen and a hinge that allows the computer to open flat. I was wondering if there was a safe way to disable and re-enable the keyboard and keyboard mouse so I can use the screen as a tablet and place a notepad on the keyboard area...
  7. Touch keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Touch keyboard: The touch keyboard on the taskbar has stopped working. What could be the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touch-keyboard/829ab1b7-52c5-4a19-92ef-07eb13c6f4c7
  8. Disable Show touch keyboard button

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Show touch keyboard button: Howdy, Right click on desktop toolbar, 4th item from top is "Show touch keyboard button". How can I disable "gray out" this one using registry tweak? Thanks BTW :) 114705
  9. Windows 10 Touch Keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Touch Keyboard: So I bought a s****y new Windows 10 tablet with all kinds of bells and whistles. My only problem is that I apparently type too fast for the on screen keyboard. When you hold a letter, it comes up with some obscure charcters that nobody will ever realistically use, myself as...
  10. No touch keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    No touch keyboard: I have a windows tablet which I perhaps unwisely upgraded from Win7 to Win10. Actually Win10 is working just fine except for one problem. The touch keyboard which was in my Win7 system tray is no longer available. Win10 has an icon in the system tray which looks nearly...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change keyboard settings