Windows 10: Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC. Windows 10 includes a touch keyboard for PCs.

By default, the touch keyboard opens on top of the taskbar, and will show in the same position it was last closed at. While users can move the touch keyboard to where they like on their desktop, it can still show on top of the taskbar by mistake.

To avoid this issue, you can turn on taskbar avoidance for the touch keyboard to prevent it from being able to show on top of the taskbar.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off touch keyboard taskbar avoidance for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off touch keyboard taskbar avoidance.

Note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\StigRegKey\Typing\TaskbarAvoidanceEnabled

Enable DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

EXAMPLE: Touch keyboard taskbar avoidance on and off

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_touch_keyboard_taskbar_avoidance.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_touch_keyboard_taskbar_avoidance.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart explorer process to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 18, 2017

2. Touch keyboard for Windows 10

Hi Harley,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click on Control Panel and click on Ease of access Centre.

• Click on Start On-screen keyboard.

• Right click on the on-screen keyboard from the taskbar and click on Pin this program to taskbar.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 26, 2019
  3. omidsolo Win User
    Disable Show touch keyboard button

Actually it's not covered in the mentioned thread at all.
    It's sort of covered in another thread below but in some other way:

Hide or Show Touch Keyboard Button on Taskbar in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

This one Check or Uncheck the "Show Touch Keyboard Button" but I want to disable (gray out) this button so impossible to click it or change it.
    Please advise.
    Cheers.

omidsolo, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Permanently Enable Virtual Touch Keyboard in Desktop Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

If you want to enable the Touch keyboard follow the steps

• Right Click on the taskbar
    • Click on Show touch keyboard button
    • Then you will be able to see the keyboard in the taskbar, whenever it’s required you can just click on the icon on the taskbar.
    It is not possible to disable the Auto-hide behavior of touch keyboard in Windows 10, whenever you use
    the physical keyboard then it will automatically hides the Touch Keyboard.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Oct 26, 2019
  5. touch keyboard

HI,

I'm Diego Rios, an Independent Advisor willing to help other Microsoft customers.

I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting methods listed below:

1, Try to run the Apps troubleshooter to fix issues that may prevent app from working properly in the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/402749...

2. Change your settings

The first place to look for is the Settings panel. Click on the Start menu and select Settings or do a search for it and open it from there. Then head over to Devices and select Typing from the left side menu. In the resulting window make sure that Automatically
    show the touch keyboard in windowed apps when there’s no keyboard attached to your device is Enabled.

3. Check if on-screen keyboard is enabled

The On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 can also be brought up from the Settings menu. Access it from the Start menu and select the Ease of Access category. Select Keyboard from the left side menu and enable it by switching on Turn on the On-Screen Keyboard option.

4. Add the on-screen keyboard to Taskbar

One of the best solutions for quickly accessing the On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 is adding a dedicated button in the Taskbar. This can be achieved by right clicking on the taskbar and enabling Show touch keyboard button.

This will add a button next to the clock in the taskbar which can be used for fast access to the On-Screen Keyboard.

5. Start on-screen keyboard from the application list

The On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 can also be accessed from the All apps list. Scroll down to the Windows Ease of Access folder, expand it and select On-Screen Keyboard.

I hope it works,

Regards.

Diego R.

Diego Rios_06, Oct 26, 2019
  6. ksdixon Win User
    can i force win8 touch keyboard?

win10 version sucks.

1. pressing touch keyboard icon on taskbar with pin on win1- will launch the handwriting panel. i rarely ever actually want that, i just use the pen because it's easier to use that than fat thumbs. back on windows 8, the normal touch keyboard would still load when you pressed touch keyboard icon on taskbar with pen.
    2. i hate the win10 'thumb keyboard', the second view where the letters are split off to each side. on win8 this had numbers in the middle, making entering passwords which both letters and jnumbers in them easy, on win10 the middle part where numbers used to be is a gigantic hole. 4

ksdixon, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Taskbar Avoidance in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Touch

2. Touch pad not turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch pad not turning off: Good day.No matter what i try, the touch pad doesnt turn off, even if i change the settings. When i go into device manager the touch pad doesnt even show up. Before i had it set such that if the mouse was connected, the touchpad wouldnt work, but that doesnt work at all....
  3. Touch pad not turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch pad not turning off: Good day.No matter what i try, the touch pad doesnt turn off, even if i change the settings. When i go into device manager the touch pad doesnt even show up. Before i had it set such that if the mouse was connected, the touchpad wouldnt work, but that doesnt work at all....
  4. How to Turn on or off Shift Lock on Touch Keyboard in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Turn on or off Shift Lock on Touch Keyboard in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to enable or disable Shift Lock for Touch Keyboard in Windows 11 or Windows 10, this guide will help you do that. It is possible to turn on or off Shift Lock for your Touch keyboard with the help of the Registry Editor. You might often need to type...
  5. How do I turn off the touch keyboard?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I turn off the touch keyboard?: How do I turn off the touch keyboard? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/how-do-i-turn-off-the-touch-keyboard/710d98a6-406c-42e9-b68c-4c7550b0a0d8
  6. Turn off touch keyboard BUT have a keyboard available on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Turn off touch keyboard BUT have a keyboard available on startup: Hi, I have the problem that anytime I touch the screen with my pen (which is what I use instead of a mouse, being an illustrator) the touch keyboard pops up, even though I have a (bluetooth) keyboard attached. I'd like to get rid of this behavior, HOWEVER, it's mandatory...
  7. Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Autocorrect for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Autocorrect Misspelled Words for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external hardware...
  8. Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Text Suggestions for Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external hardware keyboard...
  9. Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Touch Keyboard Type Sounds in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external keyboard that you plug into your PC....
  10. Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Automatically Show Touch Keyboard when No Keyboard Attached in Windows 10 You can use different keyboards with Windows to fit your needs. The most common is a physical, external...