Windows 10: Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Install Windows 10 in S Mode on a Windows 10 PC How to Install Windows 10 in S Mode on a Windows 10 PC [img] Information Windows 10 S... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by alphanumeric, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC

How to: Install Windows 10 in S Mode on a Windows 10 PC

How to Install Windows 10 in S Mode on a Windows 10 PC

Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC [​IMG]
    Information Windows 10 S is a specific configuration of Windows 10 Pro that offers a familiar, productive Windows experience that’s streamlined for security and performance. By exclusively using apps in the Windows Store and ensuring that you browse safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 S keeps you running fast and secure day in and day out.

For more information about Windows 10 S, see:
    The Windows 10 S Installer will allow you to test Windows 10 S on a variety of individual Windows 10 devices (except Windows 10 Home) with a genuine, activated license.

This tutorial will show you how to install Windows 10 in S Mode on any existing edition PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to install Windows 10 S.

Warning Before you install Windows 10 S

Before you install Windows 10 S, be aware that non-Windows Store apps will not work, peripherals that require custom drivers may not work, and other errors may occur. In particular, this release of Windows 10 S:
    • Is intended for education customers to test compatibility with existing hardware
    • May not work with some device drivers, which may not yet be ready for Windows 10 S and may cause some loss in functionality
    • May not be compatible with all peripherals that require custom drivers and, even if compatible, may cause aspects of the peripheral to not function
    • Has software and feature limitations compared to other Windows 10 editions, primarily that Windows 10 S is limited to Store apps only
    • Warning
    • Will not run current Win32 software and might result in the loss of any data associated with that software, which might include software already purchased
    • Only personal files may be kept during installation. Your settings and apps will be deleted.

Tip After installing Windows 10 S, you will only have up to 10 days to be able to Windows.old folder (previous Windows) is automatically deleted.

It is highly recommended to create a system image backup in case you would like to return to your previously installed version of Windows 10 after trying Windows 10 S.

EXAMPLE: Windows 10 in S Mode

Here's How:

1. Download the Windows 10 S installer from Microsoft.
    Download
    2. Run the downloaded Windows10SInstaller5932.exe file.

3. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

5. If Windows 10 S can be installed, click/tap on Next or wait 10 seconds before it automatically continues. (see screenshot below)

6. The Windows 10 S Installed will now download, verify, and start installing Windows 10 S. (see screenshots below)

Note This may take a while to finish this stage.

7. When ready, click/tap on Restart now to restart the computer and complete the installation. (see screenshot below)

8. You PC will reboot soon. (see screenshots below)

Note This may take a while to finish, and your PC will restart several times.

9. When finished, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

10. Turn on or off the privacy settings you want, and click/tap on Accept when finished. (see screenshots below)

Note You will be able to change all of these privacy settings at anytime in Windows 10.

11. Click/tap on Now now or Use Cortana for depending on if you want to use Cortana with your account in Windows 10. (see screenshot below)

Note You will be able to turn Cortana on or off at anytime in Windows 10.

12. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

Note You will always be able to choose your default apps in Windows at anytime.

13. You can now sign in to Windows 10 S. (see screenshots below)

14. When each user signs in for the first time, they will see the first sign-in animation below before reaching their desktop.

15. Click/tap on Yes or No for what you want to turn on network discovery. (see screenshot below)

Note You will be able to turn network discovery on or off at anytime in Windows 10.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

alphanumeric, Aug 7, 2017

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Aug 7, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Aug 7, 2017
  4. Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC

Thank you for this great tutorial.

slicendice, Aug 7, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Since as Shawn states:

If the PC has any of the above licenses, would it be logical to assume that the generic key for your machine's licensed product would allow an upgrade of the Windows 10 S to that product, without undergoing a rollback to your original installation?

Fafhrd, Aug 7, 2017
  6. I did a clean install, was prompted for a key, clicked I don't have one, and it activated with a Digital Licence. The PC in question had Digital Licences for Home, Pro, Education, and Enterprise. I have no idea which DL it used. General consensus is it was the Pro DL. This PC does not have an OEM Embedded key. I have access to an actual ISO via MSDN, so I can do a clean install. I don't think that is possible with the link in this tutorial. You have to upgrade if you can actually call it that, from a currently installed and activated Windows 10 (anything but 10 Home).

My reference to rollback was more along the lines of what you can do after the 10 days expire and the Windows.old gets deleted. When I was done playing around with 10-S, I just entered the generic Pro key and switched to Pro. No having to start all over with a clean install or restoring an image. Entering an Education key will likely work too. Best guess is that a Home key won't work though. 10-S is a custom version of 10 Pro

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC

1. Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Install

2. Install Win 11 issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Win 11 issue: Tried to install Win 11 with my win 10 key and it would not activate said it was an invalid key, I then had to reinstall win 10 which worked fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-win-11-issue/cd3d79ec-1dc7-4674-9c13-597d85535aeb
  3. Install Win 11 issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Win 11 issue: Tried to install Win 11 with my win 10 key and it would not activate said it was an invalid key, I then had to reinstall win 10 which worked fine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-win-11-issue/cd3d79ec-1dc7-4674-9c13-597d85535aeb
  4. I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.: I can't install it. It terminates immediately when I run the application.And It was purchased by our school, for everyone else it is working but for me, it doesn't work. I even restarted the device, but it failed.I am not able to install applications. For example likeThey say...
  5. I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.

I am installing an antivirus and it can't work.: I can't install it. It terminates immediately when I run the application.And It was purchased by our school, for everyone else it is working but for me, it doesn't work. I even restarted the device, but it failed.I am not able to install applications. For example likeThey say...
  6. Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...: I've installed Windows 11 on my PC, but it seems to have been installed differently, similar to how Windows Server is installed. What does this actually mean?...
  7. Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...

Could you please clarify the difference between installing Windows 11 Server on a PC and...: I've installed Windows 11 on my PC, but it seems to have been installed differently, similar to how Windows Server is installed. What does this actually mean?...
  8. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  9. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  10. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade