Windows 10: Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Let Apps use Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Let Apps use Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10

In addition to the ads you see in Windows 10, Microsoft also assigns you a unique identification number to track your every move in the Windows Store and on apps to target you with specific ads.

If you don't want Microsoft to display targeted ads, you can turn on off relevant ads (aka: "personalized ads" or "targeted ads").

If you turn on relevant ads, it will let apps use your advertising ID to make ads more interesting to you based on your app usage.

If you turn off relevant ads, the number of ads you see won't change, but they may be less relevant to you.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable letting apps use advertising ID for relevant ads for you or all accounts in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Relevant Ads for Device during Windows Setup
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Relevant Ads for Current User in Settings
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Relevant Ads for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Four: To Enable or Disable Relevant Ads for All Users in Local Group Policy
    • Option Five: To Enable or Disable Relevant Ads for All Users using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Relevant Ads for Device during Windows Setup
    1. When you get to Choose privacy settings for your device during Windows Setup while doing a clean install of Windows 10, you can turn on (default) or off the Advertising ID privacy setting for what you want. (see screenshots below)

Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Relevant Ads for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2. Click/tap on Feedback & diagnostics on the left side, and turn on (default) of off Let apps use advertising ID to make ads more interesting to you based on your app usage on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Relevant Ads for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo

Enabled DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Relevant Ads for Current User
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Relevant_Ads.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Relevant Ads for Current User
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Relevant_Ads.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Enable or Disable Relevant Ads for All Users in Local Group Policy

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This option will override Option Two and Option Three.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education Option Five to set this policy using a REG file instead.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profile

3. In the right pane of User Profile in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off the advertising ID policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Relevant Ads Setting for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured[/B] is the default setting.

6. To Disable Relevant Ads for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Enable or Disable Relevant Ads for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This option will override Option Two and Option Three.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AdvertisingInfo

DisabledByGroupPolicy DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Relevant Ads Setting for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.

Enable_Let_apps_use_advertising_ID.reg

Download

3. To Disable Relevant Ads for All Users

Disable_Let_apps_use_advertising_ID.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 20, 2017
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft Cheapens Windows 10 with Ads

Read more: Microsoft Cheapens Windows 10 with Ads - Thurrott.com

Tip

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10  

Hello superduper, and welcome to Ten Forums. Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10 :)

Yep, step 9 in your post is correct. This won't disable the lock screen at startup though.

If you have Windows Spotlight selected for your lock screen, you could switch to a picture instead to stop that bit of advertising.

In addition, you might like this below as well.

Disable Advertising in Windows 10 - Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10: How to enable/disable recently added apps in the Start Menu?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change in start settings

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "recently added" tab", are you referring to recently added apps?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Start settings" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Click on Show recent added apps.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Advertising ID for Relevant Ads in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Advertising

2. Windows Home Advertising ID

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Home Advertising ID: I want to know if there is a Windows version that does not collect data of me for advertising. From my knowledge, home and professional both collect data. On the other hand, Enterprise and Workstation does not do that. I do not feel comfortable being treated as a product to...
  3. WOL feature not working, even with relevant settings enabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WOL feature not working, even with relevant settings enabled: Relevant settings I know of are: Wake on PCIE/PCI is enabled in the UEFI, and the relevant power management features, and magic packet settings are all enabled. Fast startup is also disabled, as I dual-boot with Linux. The app I'm using to send the magic packet is called...
  4. Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft ads Office Web Apps advertisement to Windows 10 PCs: If you run a recent Windows 10 PC, you may have noticed new listings for Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, or Word in the Start Menu or the list of installed programs, even if you did not install the programs. It happened yesterday on a stable Windows 10 PC running Windows 10...
  5. Bing Ads is now Microsoft Advertising

in Windows 10 News
    Bing Ads is now Microsoft Advertising: Bing Ads name change — The evolution of Microsoft Advertising These days, marketers have more power than ever to identify and reach customers. With data, AI and automation at your fingertips, it’s no longer just reaching more people that matters to growing your brand. It’s...
  6. Turn off Advertising ID to disable Targeted Ads in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Turn off Advertising ID to disable Targeted Ads in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft hooks up every computer running Windows 10 with an Advertising ID. This helps them to provide them with relevant ads. These advertisements are delivered to the user in the Action Center, Start Menu, as well as the advertisements inside [...] This...
  7. How to disable advertisements on Windows lock screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable advertisements on Windows lock screen.: Hi I love the screen saver photographs but not the uninspiring/uninspired questions/statements that were later added that now ruin my personal unadulterated experience of just the pure image itself. Is there any way to remove these links to the words and instead have a...
  8. Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Recently Added apps on Start Menu in Windows 10 The Recently added list on your Start menu shows the latest new desktop apps and Windows apps installed. Starting with...
  9. Enable or Disable Adding and Removing Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Adding and Removing Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Adding and Removing Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows How to Enable or Disable Adding and Removing Toolbars on Taskbar in Windows Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen...
  10. Disable Advertising in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Advertising in Windows 10: How to: Disable Advertising in Windows 10 [img] Information You may have noticed that Windows 10 includes a lot of built-in advertising by default. Most of these ads come in the form of suggestions or tips. Luckily, you can turn off most ads in Windows 10. This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DisableAdvertisingid