Windows 10: Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; The link for 64-bit_Hide_Downloads_folder.reg is incorrect. It downloads the wrong reg file. 108032 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cereberus, Apr 18, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

The link for 64-bit_Hide_Downloads_folder.reg is incorrect. It downloads the wrong reg file.

:)

cereberus, Apr 18, 2018

2. The User Profile service failed the sign-in.

I think I may have figured this out. Looking at my system event logs, it appears that Windows is unable to access the "default" profile folder under c:\users.

To fix this, I did these steps:

1. From an account with administrative privileges, open Windows Explorer

2. Click "File" and select "Change folder and search options"

3. Click the "View" tab

4. Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and then click "OK"

5. Navigate to C:\Users

6. Copy the C:\Users\Default folder to another location (as a backup)

7. Choose "skip" on any copying errors with "Access denied"

8. Rename the C:\Users\Default folder to "Default.old"

9. Using the backup "default" folder, copy it back to C:\Users

At this point, you can go back to "Change folder and search" options under "File," select the "View" tab, and then select the "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" to re-hide hidden folders.

Log out, and attempt to log in to the User profile that is not working.

RhettFacer, Apr 18, 2018
  3. User folder is incorrect.

Hi Curtis,

The procedure below should do it:

Log into the new account and open File explorer. In File Explorer click on the View tab and then click on Options. In Folder Options click on the View tab. In the Advanced settings window navigate to Hidden files and folders and select "Show hidden files,
    folders, and drives", then find "Hide extensions for known file types" and clear the check-mark, when done click on Apply then OK.

Then, in File Explorer in the left pane click on the C: drive (or whatever drive the OS is on) then in the right pane double-click the Users folder. Then select the name of your old user and open that folder. Then, select (highlight) EVERYTHING there except
    for any of the following:

Ntuser.dat

Ntuser.dat.log

Ntuser.ini

Then right-click the folders you've selected and click copy. Once you've copied them, click the back icon and you should be returned to C:/users. Select your new user profile. Delete everything that's there, except for the three files which are listed above.
    Then, once you've deleted everything, right-click and select paste. The folders you selected from your old user profile should now be in your new user profile. If so, then close File explorer.

Now restart the PC and login again to the new account, It should be what you want it to be.

I hope this helps, Good Luck.

-Richard

RichardEiler, Apr 18, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you @cereberus. Link now fixed. *Smile

Brink, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Hide Show User

2. Temporary profile & no access to windows 10 apps or my personal folders

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Temporary profile & no access to windows 10 apps or my personal folders: After updates kb4284835 & Kb4343699 I was told a temporary profile had been set up and there was an issue signing on. Plus I had no acess to my personal files and the apps could not be viewed without an update. In addition the language & keyboard had been set to USA standard....
  3. [solved] show all data and folders in explorer, but hide desktop.ini

in Windows 10 Customization
    [solved] show all data and folders in explorer, but hide desktop.ini: hi at all, i wanna know, if there's a possibility to hide "desktop.ini" on desktop, without loosing the visibility off all the folders and data in explorer ? many thanks so long 78475
  4. how Windows works with these Users Personal Folders ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    how Windows works with these Users Personal Folders ?: Hi there, I've been searching but I can't find a solution to my problem. Let me explain to you *Smile It's a long story about folders, french names and english names... Here are screenshots from my computer (french). To explain my problem, I will use the example of the...
  5. Restore profile permissions to user profile folder

Restore profile permissions to user profile folder: I'm not sure why but sometimes when i port a profile over(make new profile, move all files/folder to temp folder, move old profile folder/files in then move the new profile over it) edge and the start menu break. Take ownership seems to miss alot of things and using the...
  6. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane: New tutorial all finished. *Smile *Arrow Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer Windows 10 Tutorials
  7. Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder: TNX all for yr help. I solved the problem *Biggrin. There is no File association for Winrar If you look closely at the ".rar" files in my image above, they are not .rar files but .zip files associated with Winrar. That's why their icon is Winrar's. It was enough to...
  8. Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show or Hide Preview Pane in File Explorer in Windows 10: Hi Shawn, I can't get the preview pane to show the contents of a text document, it shows pictures just fine but not .txt files. I tried all 3 methods, with Alt+P a little message pops into the pane that say "select a file to preview" highlighting the file does nothing if...
  9. Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10: Thank you. modifying the registry seems to have worked. Why does Microsoft make it so difficult to turn off this execrable UI nuisance? 42982
  10. Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10: I went through the procedure twice, both times when attempting to rename the user folder using windows explorer the message came back "can't change the name, the folder/file is open in a different process" - or words to that effect. What to DO ?? 89060