Windows 10: Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cereberus, Apr 18, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to: Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer

The user profile of each account includes the 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Links, Music, OneDrive, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches, and Videos personal folders by default in Windows 10.

If you like, you can hide any one of these personal folders from showing in the navigation pane and main window for the user profile group and This PC in File Explorer.

This tutorial will show you how to hide or show the user profile personal folders in File Explorer and navigation pane for all accounts in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to hide or show user profile personal folders.

*note This will not affect these folders in the users' actual C:\Users\<user name> folder.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide User Profile Personal Folders in File Explorer
    • Option Two: To Show User Profile Personal Folders in File Explorer

EXAMPLE: User profile personal folders in File Explorer

Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide User Profile Personal Folders in File Explorer
    1. Do step 2 (3D Objects), step 3 (Contacts), step 4 (Desktop), step 5 (Documents), step 6 (Downloads), step 7 (Favorites), step 8 (Links), step 9 (Music), step 10 (OneDrive), step 11 (Pictures), step 12 (Saved Games), step 13 (Searches), or step 14 (Videos) for what you would like to do.

2. To Hide 3D Objects Folder in File Explorer for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below for your step 15 below.

32-bit_Hide_3D-Objects_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_3D-Objects_folder.reg

Download

3. To Hide Contacts Folder in File Explorer for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below for your step 15 below.

32-bit_Hide_Contacts_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Contacts_folder.reg

Download

4. To Hide Desktop Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Desktop_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Desktop_folder.reg

Download

5. To Hide Documents Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Documents_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Documents_folder.reg

Download

6. To Hide Downloads Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Downloads_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Downloads_folder.reg

Download

7. To Hide Favorites Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Favorites_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Favorites_folder.reg

Download

8. To Hide Links Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Links_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Links_folder.reg

Download

9. To Hide Music Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Music_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Music_folder.reg

Download

10. To Hide OneDrive Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_OneDrive_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_OneDrive_folder.reg

Download

11. To Hide Pictures Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Pictures_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Pictures_folder.reg

Download

12. To Hide Saved Games Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Saved_Games_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Saved_Games_folder.reg

Download

13. To Hide Searches Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Searches_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Searches_folder.reg

Download

14. To Hide Videos Folder in File Explorer for All Users

32-bit_Hide_Videos_folder.reg

Download

64-bit_Hide_Videos_folder.reg

Download
    15. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

16. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

17. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

18. restart the computer to apply.

19. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file(s) if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Show User Profile Personal Folders in File Explorer

*note This is the default setting.
    1. Do step 2 (3D Objects), step 3 (Contacts), step 4 (Desktop), step 5 (Documents), step 6 (Downloads), step 7 (Favorites), step 8 (Links), step 9 (Music), step 10 (OneDrive), step 11 (Pictures), step 12 (Saved Games), step 13 (Searches), or step 14 (Videos) for what you would like to do.

2. To Show 3D Objects Folder in File Explorer for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 15 below.

Show_3D-Objects_folder.reg

Download

3. To Show Contacts Folder in File Explorer for All Users
    *note This will not show in "This PC".
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below, and go to step 15 below.

Show_Contacts_folder.reg

Download

4. To Show Desktop Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Desktop_folder.reg

Download

5. To Show Documents Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Documents_folder.reg

Download

6. To Show Downloads Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Downloads_folder.reg

Download

7. To Show Favorites Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Favorites_folder.reg

Download

8. To Show Links Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Links_folder.reg

Download

9. To Show Music Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Music_folder.reg

Download

10. To Show OneDrive Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_OneDrive_folder.reg

Download

11. To Hide Pictures Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Pictures_folder.reg

Download

12. To Show Saved Games Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Saved_Games_folder.reg

Download

13. To Show Searches Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Searches_folder.reg

Download

14. To Show Videos Folder in File Explorer for All Users

Show_Videos_folder.reg

Download
    15. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

16. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

17. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

18. restart the computer to apply.

19. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file(s) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

cereberus, Apr 18, 2018

2. The User Profile service failed the sign-in.

I think I may have figured this out. Looking at my system event logs, it appears that Windows is unable to access the "default" profile folder under c:\users.

To fix this, I did these steps:

1. From an account with administrative privileges, open Windows Explorer

2. Click "File" and select "Change folder and search options"

3. Click the "View" tab

4. Select "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" and then click "OK"

5. Navigate to C:\Users

6. Copy the C:\Users\Default folder to another location (as a backup)

7. Choose "skip" on any copying errors with "Access denied"

8. Rename the C:\Users\Default folder to "Default.old"

9. Using the backup "default" folder, copy it back to C:\Users

At this point, you can go back to "Change folder and search" options under "File," select the "View" tab, and then select the "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives" to re-hide hidden folders.

Log out, and attempt to log in to the User profile that is not working.

RhettFacer, Apr 18, 2018
  3. User folder is incorrect.

Hi Curtis,

The procedure below should do it:

Log into the new account and open File explorer. In File Explorer click on the View tab and then click on Options. In Folder Options click on the View tab. In the Advanced settings window navigate to Hidden files and folders and select "Show hidden files,
    folders, and drives", then find "Hide extensions for known file types" and clear the check-mark, when done click on Apply then OK.

Then, in File Explorer in the left pane click on the C: drive (or whatever drive the OS is on) then in the right pane double-click the Users folder. Then select the name of your old user and open that folder. Then, select (highlight) EVERYTHING there except
    for any of the following:

Ntuser.dat

Ntuser.dat.log

Ntuser.ini

Then right-click the folders you've selected and click copy. Once you've copied them, click the back icon and you should be returned to C:/users. Select your new user profile. Delete everything that's there, except for the three files which are listed above.
    Then, once you've deleted everything, right-click and select paste. The folders you selected from your old user profile should now be in your new user profile. If so, then close File explorer.

Now restart the PC and login again to the new account, It should be what you want it to be.

I hope this helps, Good Luck.

-Richard

RichardEiler, Apr 18, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you @cereberus. Link now fixed. *Smile

Brink, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Hide Show User

2. How to hide user profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to hide user profile: im sorry to ask this, im probably dumb but how do i hide the user profile on my desktop? all other computers i have dont have that. i disabled "show hidden items" in file explorer but nada it wont work..how do i hide it?...
  3. How to hide user profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to hide user profile: im sorry to ask this, im probably dumb but how do i hide the user profile on my desktop? all other computers i have dont have that. i disabled "show hidden items" in file explorer but nada it wont work..how do i hide it?...
  4. How to hide user profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files: When I click on the User's File icon on my desktop, it opens up, but some of the personal folders are missing. They are present in the quick access menu on the left. They are also present in C:\Users\[user name]\. It's only when I open the User's File icon on the desktop that...
  6. Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Personal Folders Not Showing Up in User's Files: When I click on the User's File icon on my desktop, it opens up, but some of the personal folders are missing. They are present in the quick access menu on the left. They are also present in C:\Users\[user name]\. It's only when I open the User's File icon on the desktop that...
  7. User profiles and File Explorer USERS folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User profiles and File Explorer USERS folders: When I started up my new HP laptop it used my signon name to create a "myname" profile but it didn't create any files under /USERS/myname. I than created another account profile with"newname" with administrator permission as an emergency backup. That profile name was given...
  8. File Explorer shows User Profile folder as Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer shows User Profile folder as Documents: I Accidentally merged the Documents folder with my User Profile folder (actual title is "User"). I could move Documents folder to <User Profile>\Docements folder only by editing Registry. Now Documents folder operates correctly in Explorer (in This PC and Quick Access). But...
  9. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane: New tutorial all finished. *Smile *Arrow Hide or Show User Profile Personal Folders in Windows 10 File Explorer Windows 10 Tutorials
  10. Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10: How to: Hide or Show File Explorer Ribbon in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Ribbon in Windows 10 File Explorer You can use the ribbon in File Explorer for common tasks, such as copying and moving, creating new folders, emailing and zipping items, and changing the view....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hide or show user profile personal folders in windows 10 file explorer