Windows 10: Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10

Discus and support Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 How to Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10

How to: Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10

How to Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10

Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple virtual desktops. Create custom additional desktops to group apps for productivity, entertainment, or whatever you choose. This makes multitasking and organizing your opened apps much easier.

Virtual Desktops exist to help you visually and cognitively separate different tasks on your PC. They can also be handy when doing presentations enabling you to prepare demos on different desktops.

This tutorial will show you how to move an open app window from one virtual desktop to another for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another using Context Menu in Task View
    • Option Two: Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another by Drag and Drop in Task View

EXAMPLE: Virtual desktops in Windows 10

(Reload (F5) webpage to replay)

OPTION ONE [/i] Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another using Context Menu in Task View
    1. Open Task View (Win+Tab).

2. Select (hover pointer over) the virtual desktop (ex: "Desktop 1") you want to move an app from. (see screenshot below)

3. Right click or press and hold on the open app window you want to move, click/tap on Move to, and click/tap on either New desktop or the desktop name (ex: "Desktop 2") you want to move it to.

*note If you have multiple displays connected, apps will only show on the display they are opened on for virtual desktops.

4. When finished, you can now click/tap on the virtual desktop you want to switch to.

Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another by Drag and Drop in Task View
    1. Open Task View (Win+Tab).

2. Select (hover pointer over) the virtual desktop (ex: "Desktop 1") you want to move an app from. (see screenshots below)

3. Drag and drop the open app window you want to move to the virtual desktop (ex: "Desktop 2") you want to move it to.

*note If you have multiple displays connected, apps will only show on the display they are opened on for virtual desktops.

4. When finished, you can now click/tap on the virtual desktop you want to switch to.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 14, 2018

2. How to open app on another virtual desktop?

Hi Radim,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if virtual desktop or task view option is not enabled.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to enable virtual desktop on the computer.

The virtual desktops feature in Windows 10 is known as “Task View” and is located on the Taskbar. Clicking the “Task View” button brings up the Task View interface, where you can see your open windows on virtual desktops which you have added.

To enable task view option on the taskbar.

1. Right click on Taskbar.

2. Click on Show task view button.

3. Then it will be available on the task bar next to the Search bar.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using virtual desktop, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Cindy_602 Win User
    Opening Apps on a multiple virtual desktops

When I open an App, i.e. Excel, on one Virtual Desktop and then try and open an excel document from file explorer on a second virtual desktop the document opens up and switches views to the original virtual desktop making using virtual desktops frustrating
    and time consuming. Is there anyway to get Apps to ensure that apps open on the current desktop even when the App is already open on another desktop?

Cindy_602, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. How to open app on another virtual desktop?

Hi Radim,

Thank you for your response with the current update on the issue.

As per the issue description, currently there is no option to set File Explorer or a certain program to open specific in a particular Virtual Desktop.I suggest you to provide your valuable feedback and suggestion in the
    Windows Feedback app.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using virtual desktop, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 27, 2019
  6. sirBait Win User
    Virtual desktops

In the article you linked it says talks about 4 goals Microsoft has with virtual desktops:

• Give you more desktop space to group related windows
    • Help you quickly locate and switch to any window or group of windows
    • Let you easily re-organize your groups and move windows as tasks evolve
    • Keep you in control of the degree of separation between your grouped windows
    Not being able to control what desktop the program opens on really doesn't fit in with these goals.

Give me one good reason for why it is suppose force me to change virtual desktop when I open a program, just one good reason and I will consider to drop the issue. To me this sounds like virtual desktops isn't ready yet and you refuse to acknowledge that
    there are bugs, because this makes it very hard to work with multiply virtual desktops.

sirBait, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Move Open App from One Virtual Desktop to Another in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Move Open App

2. Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another: Here's how my system is setup now. Drive 1: Three partitions. Recovery, EFI system, and C: primary OS Drive 2: Two partitions. Recovery, D: secondary OSBoth C: and D: are Windows 10. Currently in a dual boot setup, it asks me at boot which partition to use. I want to delete...
  3. Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another: Here's how my system is setup now. Drive 1: Three partitions. Recovery, EFI system, and C: primary OS Drive 2: Two partitions. Recovery, D: secondary OSBoth C: and D: are Windows 10. Currently in a dual boot setup, it asks me at boot which partition to use. I want to delete...
  4. Moving Windows 10 from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop?: A simple scenario. I am on Virtual Desktop 1. Google Chrome is running on VD 2. I have Chrome pinned to my taskbar. Now I click the Chrome icon on taskbar on VD 1, expecting Windows 10 to jump to the existing instance of Chrome running on VD 2. However, this opens a new...
  6. Move windows 10 from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Move windows 10 from one PC to another: When I bought this PC it came with Windows 8, then I got the free upgrade to Windows 10. I am changing the PC now but I am not able to move the windows 10 to that new pc, is that not allowed? I tried entering the product key, it did not work, then I tried activating from...
  7. How to move an app from a user to another one

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to move an app from a user to another one: Hi, I created a new user for me on the same laptop my mom uses. I play Township (a game app) on her user and I want to transfer it to my personal user. Any idea how to do it? submitted by /u/Retrograde-Motion [link] [comments]...
  8. Shortcut to move program from one virtual desktop to another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut to move program from one virtual desktop to another?: Hello I often use Virtual Desktops. But whenever i need to move one program from one environment to another i've to open Virtual Desktop screen and move it manually. Is there any way to do it using shortcut? submitted by /u/BlueBoxxx [link] [comments]...
  9. Moving Windows 10 from one ssd to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving Windows 10 from one ssd to another: I have two SanDisk SSD 120GB in my computer. I am running out of space and the one that boots up (with Windows OS on it) is dying. 1) How can I see what is on each individual SSD? I have everything backed up and there was very little on the two SSDs to begin with. 2) My...
  10. Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another: This seems to be a tedious process of going to the task view, then finding the window and right clicking and sending it to another desktop. Is there something simpler? I was expecting a right click on the taskbar would give this option, but it does not. Is there a keyboard...