Windows 10: Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Discus and support Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 How to Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Brink Win User

Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

How to: Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

How to Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple virtual desktops. Create custom additional desktops to group apps for productivity, entertainment, or whatever you choose. This makes multitasking and organizing your opened apps much easier.

Virtual Desktops exist to help you visually and cognitively separate different tasks on your PC. They can also be handy when doing presentations enabling you to prepare demos on different desktops.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18963, you can now rename your different virtual desktops to help cement the separation between workspaces.

*note Currently this change is live for 50% of Insiders in the Fast ring, and Microsoft will be expanding the rollout over the next few weeks as they evaluate the quality of experience.

This tutorial will show you how to rename virtual desktops for your account in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Open Task View (Win+Tab).

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for how you would like to rename a virtual desktop. (see gif below)

3. Click/tap on the name of a virtual desktop, and rename the desktop to what you want.

OR

4. Right click or press and hold on the thumbnail of a virtual desktop, click/tap on Rename in the context menu, and rename the desktop to what you want.

Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jul 13, 2018
  2. nibras85 Win User

Renaming virtual desktops in Windows 10

I can't seem to find a way to rename virtual desktops in Windows 10. It would be helpful to have meaningful names instead of Desktop1, Desktop2..etc.

nibras85, Oct 27, 2019
  3. BND_ Win User
    Rename virtual desktop

Hello

I can't rename my virtual desktops. I am using:

Windows 10 Home

Version 1903

OS build 18362.175

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

4. Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

rename virtual desktop windows 10 v1903?

Hello, how can I rename the virtual desktop in windows 10 , can not find. Thank you in advance

GrandDrake94336, Oct 27, 2019
  5. BND_ Win User
    Rename virtual desktop

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know any workaround?

Funny thing, I was using virtual-desktop-enhancer in the previous windows version to rename desktops and everything was working very well. Now with this new update, it doesn't work anymore and the tool development seems to have stopped.

The plus now is that I can paste using keyboard shortcut in wsl.

6. Virtual Desktops Windows 10?

Hi Lucas,

Modifying the settings of a virtual desktop requires complex steps. Because of this, we might need to refer you to our Microsoft TechNet forums for further assistance. For us to direct you to the correct forum category, we would need the answers to the following:

• Are you using a Windows Server?
    • Is your device connected to a domain network?
    • What virtual desktop are you using?

If you are using Hyper-V, you can use this article published
    by Andre Da Costa as your reference on how to use Windows 10's built in Hyper-V for creating Virtual Machines.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

1. Rename Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Rename Virtual Desktops

2. Rename virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename virtual desktop: Hello I can't rename my virtual desktops. I am using: Windows 10 Home Version 1903 OS build 18362.175 Any help will be appreciated. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-virtual-desktop/dfcf8be3-d903-4357-a1b9-a703bf252980
  3. Windows Virtual Desktop

Windows Virtual Desktop: Has anyone ever tried Windows Virtual Desktop? How to use it on Azure? I want some first hand experience. Please talk about personalized stuff, not info which I can get from Google. Thanks, Elisha...
  4. rename virtual desktop windows 10 v1903?

rename virtual desktop windows 10 v1903?: Hello, how can I rename the virtual desktop in windows 10 , can not find. Thank you in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-virtual-desktop-windows-10-v1903/13765a41-acfc-4c58-b45a-fb0eb51d4a65
  5. Windows 10, Virtual Desktop.

Windows 10, Virtual Desktop.: I accidentally created 845 virtual desktops, due to a button malfunction. I'd like to erase desktop 2-845 via quick PowerShell command or something in that direction....
  6. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I just created a second virtual desktop, but all I get out of it is a mirror image of the original desktop. Whatever I do on one shows up on the other. How can I make the desktops independent of each other? Thanks, Bill...
  7. Renaming desktop

Renaming desktop: At some point my desktop got renamed Temporary Burn Folder. How do I change it back to Desktop? Right clicking does not allow change name. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/renaming-desktop/9ad7eafb-534d-4db9-bad3-3def12c3bf88
  8. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: Right now, if I have three virtual desktops created, and I open Sticky Notes in VD 1 and then if I open Sticky Notes in VD 2, I sends me back to VD 1. This issue is very annoying and is making it very hard to used virtual desktops. Please Help!...
  9. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: When I open an App, i.e. Excel, on one Virtual Desktop and then try and open an excel doc. from file explorer on a second virtual desktop the doc opens up and switches views to the original virtual desktop making using virtual desktops frustrating and time consuming. Is...
  10. Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Rename Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...