Windows 10: Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hover to Select Virtual Desktops in Task View in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Hover to Select Virtual Desktops in Task View in Windows 10

Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple virtual desktops. Create custom additional desktops to group apps for productivity, entertainment, or whatever you choose. This makes multitasking and organizing your opened apps much easier.

By default, you can hover over a desktop thumbnail in Task View to select and switch to the desktop. While hover to select makes it easier to switch between virtual desktops, it can also make it easy to switch to a desktop by mistake.

If you turn off hover to select, you will need to click/tap on a desktop thumbnail in Task View instead to select and switch to the desktop.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off hover to select virtual desktops in Task View for your account in Windows 10.

EXAMPLE: Hover to select desktop in Task View

Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

:note The downloadable .bat files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HoverSelectDesktops DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Hover to Select Desktops in Task View
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Hover_to_Select_Desktops_in_Task_View.bat

Download

3. To Turn Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Hover_to_Select_Desktops_in_Task_View.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

5. Unblock the .bat file.

6. Run the .bat file.

7. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

8. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 5, 2017

2. Windows 10 task view assign applications

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing difficulty in assigning the applications to a specific virtual desktop. Let me help you in clearing your doubts.

The virtual desktops feature in Windows 10 is called “Task View” and is located on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Click Task view. When you open the Task View interface for the first time, or you only have one desktop, the “Add a desktop” button is available.

Step 2: Click it to add virtual desktop.

Step 3: Open the apps that you want to use on that desktop.

Step 4: Click Task view again to switch between desktops.

Hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on Windows related query and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Windows 10 desktop icons too big

Hi Warren,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I can understand your concern. Let me assist you further on the issue.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Hover the mouse on View.
    • Select Medium or Short as per your desire.
    • Check if it helps.

Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10

Giant Desktop Icons in Windows 10

Hi Gracey,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Hover the mouse on View.
    • Select Medium or Short as per your desire.
    • Check if it helps.
    Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Task view in windows 10

Hello ReinaldoEspinosa

i suggest to Follow the below steps:

To start your system in safe mode with Networking, follow the below steps:

Press and hold Shift key and restart your Computer.

Select Troubleshoot.

Select Advance Option.

Select Startup Settings.

Follow the on Screen instruction.

Select Safe mode with Networking, from the list of options

Also you can to restart Windows Explorer

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete from you Keyboard.

Then click on Task Manager.

Now find Windows Explorer from process list of windows task manager.

Right click on Windows Explorer & select restart.

Let me know if it works or you need further assistance.

Regards

MarcosAraujo2, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Task View

It's the Task View, not the Task Bar, that is the problem. I should be getting the popup (right clicking on Task View) showing the options for additional Desktops, not the five options for the Task Bar. A 'chat' with MS Solutions said that I should reinstall
    Windows 10 to MAYBE correct this problem. Any suggestions to correct?? Thanks for your interest...I really appreciate it.
    The Task View is the only feature that I may like on 10!!

Whitfield orWiemholt, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10

1. Turn On or Off Hover to Select Desktops in Task View in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Hover

2. When "Task View" is selected windows and screen turns black [Solution]

in Windows 10 Customization
    When "Task View" is selected windows and screen turns black [Solution]: There is an old thread asking this question but it is locked so I am reposting it so the solution will be documented. When "Task View" is selected windows and the screen turns black. The windows/ tiles aren't visible. To fix this, disable HDRSettings > System > Display >...
  3. Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop: After recent upgrade, when I hover over the virtual desktop, it no longer shows the desktop preview. Still shows the thumbnail but not the full preview. This was critical to my workflow, how do I re-enable this. Steps: Hover over the task view icon on the task bar. Thumbnails...
  4. Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task View hover on Virtual desktops no longer previews the desktop: After recent upgrade, when I hover over the virtual desktop, it no longer shows the desktop preview. Still shows the thumbnail but not the full preview. This was critical to my workflow, how do I re-enable this. Steps: Hover over the task view icon on the task bar. Thumbnails...
  5. Task View no longer shows virtual desktops when selected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task View no longer shows virtual desktops when selected: I used to be able to see my virtual desktops when I selected the Task View button. Now, it no longer does so and I have to use windows-arrow to select/change virtual desktops....
  6. Task View no longer shows virtual desktops when selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task View no longer shows virtual desktops when selected: I used to be able to see my virtual desktops when I selected the Task View button. Now, it no longer does so and I have to use windows-arrow to select/change virtual desktops....
  7. Turn off mouse hover

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Turn off mouse hover: The mouse hover feature is the absolute worst feature I have ever seen. Windows open and close on their own and one time it even deleted a folder of important files. I have a recent version of Windows 10 Home edition. In an old Microsoft community post it showed how to do...
  8. Task view - addons to show window on SELECTED virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Support
    Task view - addons to show window on SELECTED virtual desktops?: With Win10 Task View, you can either show a window on 1 desktop, or you can show that window on ALL desktops. Is anyone aware of a tool/addon that allows you to show a window on selected desktops? For example, if I have 4 virtual desktops, I'd like to show a particular...
  9. How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do I turn off Task View and restore original desktop?: Greetings all, A game recently crashed on my laptop, and, in attempting to close it, I seem to have somehow turned on Task View. The crash required a restart. Now my desktop is devoid of folders and icons, the Task View button is on the task bar, and only the Start menu...
  10. Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows: How to: Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows How to Turn On or Off Translucent Selection Rectangle on Desktop in Windows The translucent selection rectangle is the box you see when you left click and hold, and then drag the pointer over...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. task view

2. turn on hover to select

3. task hover off