Windows 10: Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10

Discus and support Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 15, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10

How to: Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10

How to Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10

Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task View. Task View is a virtual desktop manager that allows you to quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple desktops. Create custom additional desktops to group apps for productivity, entertainment, or whatever you choose. This makes multitasking and organizing your opened apps much easier.

On the taskbar in Windows 10 build 10041, you can select to show windows that are open on either all desktops or only the desktop you are currently using.

This tutorial will show you how to select to show windows that are open on either the taskbar for all desktops or only the desktop you're using for your account in Windows 10.

Note All desktops = Windows that are open on all desktops will show on the taskbar for all desktops. You will be able to quickly switch between any windows that are open on any desktop with a simple click/tap on the icon of the open window on the taskbar. If the window is open on a desktop other than the desktop you are using, you will be switched to the desktop the window is open on.

Only the desktop I'm using
    = Windows that are open on other additional desktops will not show on the taskbar of the desktop you are using. You will need to use ALT+TAB, CTRL+ALT+TAB, or Task View to switch between windows that are open on the other desktops.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Select Desktops to Show Open windows on Taskbar in Settings app
    • Option Two: Select Desktops to Show Open windows on Taskbar using BAT file

EXAMPLE: On the taskbar, show Windows that are open on only the desktop I'm using

(Desktop 1 - using)

(Desktop 2)

OPTION ONE [/i] Select Desktops to Show Open windows on Taskbar in Settings app
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for what you would like to do.

3. On the taskbar, show windows that are open on all desktops
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Multitasking on the left side, and select All desktops for "On the taskbar, show Windows that are open on" on the right side under Virtual desktops. (see screenshot below)

4. On the taskbar, show windows that are open on only the current desktop
    A) Click/tap on Multitasking on the left side, and select Only the desktop I'm using for "On the taskbar, show Windows that are open on" on the right side under Virtual desktops. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Select Desktops to Show Open windows on Taskbar using BAT file

Note The .bat files below are to change the registry DWORD values in the key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

VirtualDesktopTaskbarFilter DWORD

0 = All desktops
    1 = Only the desktop I'm using

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. On the taskbar, show windows that are open on all desktops
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Taskbar_Show_open_windows_on_all_desktops.bat

Download

3. On the taskbar, show windows that are open on only the current desktop
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 4 below.

Taskbar_Show_open_windows_on_only_desktop_using.bat

Download
    4. Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run it.

5. If prompted, click/tap on Run.
    NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the downloaded .bat file.

6. You will now notice a command prompt quickly open and close, and your screen flash while applying the changes to your registry and to restart explorer.

7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file(s) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 15, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Start button missing

Windows 10 opens at the desktop and not the menu.

Is there a Taskbar along the bottom of the screen? If there is there is a little windows icon at the left end. This is the start button. If the Taskbar is not there try to run the mouse arrow t the bottom of the screen and the Taskbar may show up. If
    it does then while it is up right click on a blank area of the Taskbar and select Properties and uncheck the Hide Taskbar box. Then the Taskbar will show at the bottom of the screen.

lacrumb, May 15, 2015
  3. JDeezo Win User
    Windows 10 Taskbar on Second monitor won't auto-hide.

This worked for me:

• Open Taskbar Settings
    • Turn on "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode"
    • Under Multiple displays > Show taskbar buttons on > Select "Main taskbar and taskbar where window is open" from the dropdown.

JDeezo, May 15, 2015
Thema:

Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10

1. Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Select Desktops Show

2. Taskbar shows selection box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar shows selection box: My taskbar suddenly have this selection box thing that I have to click twice on any of the apps in order to open it up. Any ideas I can turn this box off? It's not like an urgent problem but it's still very annoying to do it every time....
  3. Taskbar shows selection box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar shows selection box: My taskbar suddenly have this selection box thing that I have to click twice on any of the apps in order to open it up. Any ideas I can turn this box off? It's not like an urgent problem but it's still very annoying to do it every time....
  4. Taskbar and desktop don't show up windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar and desktop don't show up windows 10: One day , when I logged on to my computer, the desktop and taskbar wouldn't show up. I opened task manager with Ctrl-Shift-Escape, and all apps seemed to be working.I've tried restarting windows explorer several times, but nothing happens. On other users, it works fine. It's...
  5. Taskbar and desktop don't show up windows 10

Taskbar and desktop don't show up windows 10: One day , when I logged on to my computer, the desktop and taskbar wouldn't show up. I opened task manager with Ctrl-Shift-Escape, and all apps seemed to be working.I've tried restarting windows explorer several times, but nothing happens. On other users, it works fine. It's...
  6. Taskbar and desktop don't show up windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop

Windows open in Taskbar but not on Desktop: This has happened before but forgot what I did to correct it. Programs will open in task bar but will not open on desktop. When I hover over the icon for the program it shows above task bar. How do I fix it....
  8. Windows 10 Not Showing Open Applications in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Not Showing Open Applications in Taskbar: Hi All, the issue is fairly simple and visible issue, active windows/applications icons are no longer being displayed in the taskbar. It was working before and then stopped despite restarting the computer several times and trying different methods to fix this. This is a...
  9. Show Desktop on the Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Desktop on the Taskbar: [img] I hope this an easy one. This image is from my Windows 7 PC, but I want my Windows 10 to look the same. 120614
  10. Select Desktops to Show Open Windows in ALT+TAB in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Select Desktops to Show Open Windows in ALT+TAB in Windows 10: How to: Select Desktops to Show Open Windows in ALT+TAB in Windows 10 How to Select Desktops to Show Open Windows in ALT+TAB in Windows 10 Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task View. Task View is a virtual desktop manager that allows you to quickly switch...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 show all open windows in the task bar