Windows 10: Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer

Discus and support Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer Microsoft had Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to: Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer

How to Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer

Microsoft had Windows Insiders as a controlled study. The concept behind Sets is to make sure that everything related to your task: relevant webpages, research documents, necessary files and applications, is connected and available to you in one click. Office (starting with Mail & Calendar and OneNote), Windows, and Edge become more integrated to create a seamless experience, so you can get back to whats important and be productive, recapturing that moment, saving time Microsoft believes thats the true value of Sets.

Sets: With all the elements that go into a task, sometimes convincing yourself to get started is the hardest part. Sets help you keep webpages, documents, files, and apps connected, while remaining just one click away. When you close a file that includes a group of tabs, itll help you bring those tabs back to life the next time you open it. Whether its something you pick up later in the day or in a couple weeks, Sets is being designed to help you keep the important things together.

Add tabs to apps: To help fuel Sets, most apps will be able to add app and web tabs. When you select a link in something like an e-mail, itll open in a new tab next to the app you were using. Selecting the plus (+) in an app will take you to a new tab page, which will help you jump to your next location. You might already know where you want to go, or just need a little bit of inspiration. From here, youll be able to search your PC and the internet, access customized feeds, open frequently used websites and apps, and get suggestions based on your recent activity.

Here are a few keyboard shortcuts you can try out:
    • Win+Ctrl+Tab – Switch to the next tab
    • Win+Ctrl+Shift+Tab – Switch to the previous tab
    • Win+Ctrl+1 through 8 – Switch to a specific tab
    • Win+Ctrl+9 – Switch to the last tab
    • Ctrl+T – Open a new tab
    • Ctrl+W – Close the current active tab
    Starting with Windows 10 build 17639, Microsoft has made it easier to open a folder, library, or drive in a new tab from within File Explorer.

*note If Tabs in apps is turned off, open in new tab will open in new window instead.

*note If you add File Explorer to your list of apps that can't be included in sets of tabs, open in new tab will open in new window instead until File Explorer is removed from this list.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to open in new tab a selected folder, library, or drive from within File Explorer in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Tab using Context Menu
    • Option Two: Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Tab from File Menu in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Tab using Context Menu
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+X).

2. Right click or press and hold on one or more selected folders, libraries, or drives you want to open in a new tab, and click/tap on Open in new tab. (see screenshot below)

Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Folder, Library, or Drive in New Tab from File Menu in File Explorer
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+X).

2. Select one or more folders, libraries, or drives you want to open in a new tab, click/tap on the File tab on the menu bar, click/tap on the arrow to the right of Open new window, and click/tap on Open new tab. (see screenshot below)

Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer [​IMG]

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 23, 2016
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  3. KomouPoji Win User
    Whenever I open a folder, it opens in new window (Windows 10)

Hi Pratyaksh,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• What changes have you make in the folder options?

• Is the error specific to a folder?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it help.

• Open file explorer, click on view and select options.

• Double-click on options, in the general tab click on Open each folder in the same Window.

• Click apply and ok.
    I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer

On File Explorer folders inside desktop open in new window

Hi Christopher,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

As the issue persists even after “Open each folder in the same window” is checked,
    I suggest you to reset the view settings of the This PC folder and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to open File Explorer.

• Click on the This PC on the left navigation pane.

• Click on the View tab at the top of the File explorer window.

• Click on Options and select
      Change folder and search options

• Navigate to the View tab in folder options window.

• Click on Reset Folders. (Click on Yes if any dialog box prompted)

• You may click on Restore defaults
      to restore the default settings for the folder.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Oct 27, 2019
  6. File Explorer opens new window for each sub-level folder

Hi Camelia,

In File Explorer, folders either open in a new window or in the same window depending on which setting is enabled in Folder Options. To resolve your concern, follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on File, and then Change folder and search options.
    • Under Browse folders, click on Open each folder in the same window.
    • Click Apply to save changes, and then OK.

Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer 767e6eb5-dc43-48d9-8a52-4d01daf52660.png

Let us how else we can help.

Patricia Yu, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer

1. Open Folder in New Tab in Windows 10 File Explorer - Similar Threads - Open Folder Tab

2. Open explorer in currently opened explorer as new tab.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open explorer in currently opened explorer as new tab.: Say i have explorer open and i select a folder on my desktop the folder opens in a new explorer window.Is there a setting to have folders open as a new tab in currently opened explorer instead of an entirely new window by default?...
  3. When will it be possible to open Desktop folders in new File Explorer tabs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will it be possible to open Desktop folders in new File Explorer tabs?: I love the new tabs in File Explorer, but there's a key feature missing that makes it much less usable for me:When using the tabbed Explorer, I'd expect folders on my Desktop to open in a new tab if an Explorer window is already present, or to have the choice between opening...
  4. When will it be possible to open Desktop folders in new File Explorer tabs?

When will it be possible to open Desktop folders in new File Explorer tabs?: I love the new tabs in File Explorer, but there's a key feature missing that makes it much less usable for me:When using the tabbed Explorer, I'd expect folders on my Desktop to open in a new tab if an Explorer window is already present, or to have the choice between opening...
  5. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  6. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  7. Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?: When i have a my file explorer open and i click on a new file to on desktop or the start menu I would like the file to open in a new tab on the open explorer instead of launching a new explorer window, Is there a setting for this?...
  8. Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?

Open outside Folders in Existing Explorer new tab ?: When i have a my file explorer open and i click on a new file to on desktop or the start menu I would like the file to open in a new tab on the open explorer instead of launching a new explorer window, Is there a setting for this?...
  9. File explorer opens folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  10. File explorer opens folders in new windows

File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer open new tab