Windows 10: Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10

Discus and support Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Pin any File to the Taskbar in Windows 10 [img] Information Usually you can only pin apps to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Edwin, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Edwin New Member

Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10

How to: Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10

How to Pin any File to the Taskbar in Windows 10

Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Usually you can only pin apps to the taskbar in Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to pin any file to the taskbar for your account in Windows 10.

Note If you have Hide app icons on the taskbar in tablet mode.

When you open a file (ex: text file) pinned to the taskbar, it will still show a separate icon on the taskbar for its default app (ex: Notepad).

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: File pinned to taskbar

OPTION ONE [/i] Pin File to Taskbar
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E), and navigate to the file you want to "Pin to taskbar".

2. Make sure that you have File name extension checked in the View tab of the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

3. Right click or press and hold on the file you want to "Pin to taskbar", and click/tap on Rename. Rename the file extension (ex: ".txt") of the file to .exe. (see screenshot below)

Note Be sure to make note of what the original file extension (ex: ".txt") is for the file. You will need to know this in the later steps.

4. Click/tap on Yes to confirm renaming the file extension. (see screenshot below)

5. Drag and drop this renamed file to the taskbar to Pin to Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

6. Right click or press and hold on the renamed file in File Explorer, and click/tap on Rename. Rename the file extension .exe of the file back to its original file extension (ex: ".txt") . (see screenshot below)

7. Click/tap on Yes to confirm renaming the file extension. (see screenshot below)

8. Right click or press and hold on the icon of the pinned file on the taskbar to open its jump list, right click or press and hold on the file (ex: "Example File") in the jump list, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

9. In the Target field, rename the file extension .exe of the file back to its original file extension (ex: ".txt"), and click/tap on Apply. (see screenshots below)

10. Click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

11. Select an icon you want to use for the icon of the file pinned to the taskbar, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note If you like, you can click/tap on Browse to navigate to and select an icon or icon library you want to use instead.

The most common icons used in Windows 10 are located in the files below:
    • C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll
    • C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll

11. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

12. Restart the explorer process to apply the icon change on the taskbar for the pinned file.

OPTION TWO [/i] Unpin File from Taskbar
    1. Right click or press and hold on the file pinned to the taskbar. (see screenshot below)

2. Click/tap on Unpin from taskbar.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Edwin, Oct 29, 2017

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Thanks Mayank. I am trying to pin shortcuts to the taskbar. I did find the link you sent but it did not cover pinning items to the taskbar to stay. It suggested an option that does not exist in the version of Windows 10 I downloaded on July 29. It suggests
    that there are three options: pin to start, pin to taskbar, open file location. All I see is pin to start and open file location. I am beginning to think this is another Windows 10 quirk.

DonCochron, Oct 29, 2017
  3. beaconray Win User
    No option to pin .exe file in taskbar

Original Title: windows 10 on surface 3: Is there a way to pin an executable file that is on the memory card?

I have an executable file (program file but just that it can be run without installation) on memory card in the memory expansion slot of surface 3. I can pin it to start but no option found to pin it to taskbar.

Is it possible to pin it to taskbar?

beaconray, Oct 29, 2017
Thema:

Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10

1. Pin File to Taskbar in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Pin File Taskbar

2. Help with Pinning Excel Files in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with Pinning Excel Files in the taskbar: I’ve always had trouble pinning the last file to the toolbar. Because right now, it’s able to accommodate 12 pinned files. But when I come to pin the 11th file from the most recent list, the file that would keep on appearing is this:PERSONAL.XLSBBecause my Excel files use...
  3. How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?: When I open Excel and click file/open, I have 5 files in the pinned section. However, in the taskbar icon, there are only two of those files in the pinned section. Clicking on the pin icon next to a file, doesn't move it to the pinned section of files in the taskbar.Any...
  4. How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?

How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?: When I open Excel and click file/open, I have 5 files in the pinned section. However, in the taskbar icon, there are only two of those files in the pinned section. Clicking on the pin icon next to a file, doesn't move it to the pinned section of files in the taskbar.Any...
  5. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  6. Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar

Pin Files to Recent File List in Taskbar: Previously, as in all previous versions of Windows I was able to pin files to an application's recent file list in the taskbar. I could right-click on the app icon to bring up the list, and my pinned files would be at the top. Click on the file name and it and the app would...
  7. Pinned file explorer on taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinned file explorer on taskbar not working: The Pinned file explorer on the taskbar doesn't work for few days.If I left click the file explorer icon, nothing will happen. If I click again to do anything on the taskbar, the taskbar will just freeze. However, the file explorer can be opened via start menu, desktop icon,...
  8. Windows 10 Taskbar Multiple Pinned Notepad Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Taskbar Multiple Pinned Notepad Files: I have a ghost file that will not unpin and doesn't exist on the computer. It says it's in the file path (C:\Users\My Name\OneDrive\Desktop\themestar.txt). I've reset all the taskbar icons and the file still shows up; however, it's not listed in C:\Users\My...
  9. Pin File Explorer to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin File Explorer to Taskbar: I have gone through all of the recommended steps for pinning File Explorer to the task bar and nothing works. Any suggestions as to why this is happening? [Original Title: File Explorer]...
  10. pin batch file to taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    pin batch file to taskbar: i have created a batch file on my desktop when i right click on batch it dont show option to pin to taskbar when i am running this batch files, i pin it to taskbar however after terminating the batch file when i click on taskbar icon to run batch file it open command...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pin frequently used files taskbar