Windows 10: Preview Fonts in Windows 10

Discus and support Preview Fonts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Preview Fonts in Windows 10 How to Preview Fonts in Windows 10 A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Preview Fonts in Windows 10

How to: Preview Fonts in Windows 10

How to Preview Fonts in Windows 10

A font is a graphical representation of text that may include a different typeface, point size, weight, color, or design.

You may be familiar with the Fonts control panel, which you could use to see the fonts that are currently installed, or to install or uninstall fonts. That control panel hasnt been able to show off newer font capabilities, such as color fonts or variable fonts, and a refresh has been needed. Starting with Windows 10 build 17083, Microsoft is introducing new experiences for managing your fonts in Settings.

*note Font List Windows 10 - Typography | Microsoft Docs

This tutorial will show you how to preview fonts installed in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Preview Fonts in Settings
    *note This option is only available starting with Windows 10 build 17083.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Click/tap on Fonts on the left side, and click/tap on an available font on the right side you want to preview. (see screenshot below)

*note You can search for a font, and filter the available fonts by language.

The initial page for Fonts settings provides a short preview of each font family. The previews use a variety of interesting strings that are selected to match the primary languages that each font family is designed for together with your own language settings. And if a font has multi-color capabilities built into it, then the preview will demonstrate this.

Preview Fonts in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. You will now see a details page that provides previews for each of the fonts within that family, along with other information about each font. There is a default preview string, but you can enter your own, custom preview string as well. (see screenshot below)

4. For Web developers and advanced typographers that want to make use of OpenType Variable fonts, there is a separate variable-font details page that allows you to explore the continuous, variable-design capabilities of the font. (see screenshot below)

5. At the bottom of the details page, you can select a font face to see its metadata. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished previewing fonts, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Preview Fonts in Control Panel or Fonts folder
    1. Perform either action below:
    A) Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Fonts icon.

OR

B) Open the C:\Windows\Fonts folder in File Explorer (Win+E).
    2. Do step 3 (toolbar) or step 4 (font) below for how you want to preview fonts.

3. Preview font using "Preview" button on toolbar
    A) Select a font (ex: "Calibri") you want to view, and click/tap on the Preview button on the toolbar. (see screenshot below)

B) If the selected font has more than one individual fonts in this font family, you will be prompted to click/tap on Yes to open each individual font in its own window. (see screenshot below)

C) You will now see a preview of the font(s). (see screenshot below)

D) When finished previewing fonts, go to step 5 below.

4. Preview font by opening font
    A) Click/tap on a font (ex: "Calibri") you want to view. (see screenshot below)

B) If the selected font has more than one individual fonts in this font family, click/tap on the individual font (ex: "Calibri Regular") you want to preview. (see screenshot below)

C) You will now see a preview of the font. (see screenshot below)

D) When finished previewing fonts, go to step 5 below.
    5. You can close the Control Panel or Fonts folder if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 30, 2017

2. Windows 10 changing Font

I cannot change the system fonts in Windows 10. I have gone in and changed the title bars, etc, but there are still some fonts that are too small for my eyes. One example is my Outlook address book. Anyone have any suggestions please?

DonnaRothman, Oct 27, 2019
  3. NeoSOS Win User
    Fonts

Hello,

I found these steps in this forum from back in 2010:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to try these steps and check whether it helps in fixing your issue.

Open font settings by clicking on start, click on control panel, and then click on appearance and personalization, under fonts click on change font settings. And select the font size.

Step 2:

If you’re trying to change windows font size then please follow the steps below:

To change Windows fonts

1. Open Appearance Settings by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type window color, and then click Change window colors and
    metrics

2. In the Item list, click the part of Windows that you want to change the font for. For example, if you want to change the menu font, click Menu in the list. Then, make any of the following changes:

· In the Font list, click the font that you want to use.

· In the Size list, click the font size that you want.

· In the Color list, click the font color that you want.

3. Repeat these steps for each item that you want to make changes to, and then click OK.

Does that help?

NeoSOS, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Preview Fonts in Windows 10

FONTS

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to follow the instruction provided below and check.

Step 1:

• Download the font type you want to install.
    • Right click and click on install.
    • Check if you are able to view the fonts in documents.
    Or

Step 2:

• Download the font type you want to install.
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Click on fonts.
    • Now, drag and drop the downloaded fonts in the font’s folder.

Hope this information helps. If you have any queries, let us know. Will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Arul_D Win User
    In Windows 10 how do I return the font on my desktop icons to the default setting?

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if you are able to restore to default font settings in windows 10.

• Type fonts in the search and press enter

• Click on Font settings

• Click on Restore default font settings.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Windows 10 changing Font

Hi,

Thank you for choosing Windows 10.

Please follow the steps in order to change the fonts.

To change the font size in desktop:

• Tap Start button.
    • Type Fonts.
    • Select “View Installed Fonts”.
    • Select “Change Font Size”.
    • There is a drop down. "Title Bar" with another drop down to its right showing point size numbers.

If you right-click on the type of font you selected earlier and select "Preview", it will show you how that font will look in all sizes.

I hope the above information was helpful. Get back to us with the updated status and we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Preview Fonts in Windows 10

1. Preview Fonts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Preview Fonts

2. Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black: I am unable to preview a truetype font before installing it on Windows 11. After clicking preview on a font in windows explorer my desktop background turns black, the taskbar disappears, then the whole screen flashes black before taking me back to the desktop. When it takes...
  3. Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot preview fonts without computer flashing black: I am unable to preview a truetype font before installing it on Windows 11. After clicking preview on a font in windows explorer my desktop background turns black, the taskbar disappears, then the whole screen flashes black before taking me back to the desktop. When it takes...
  4. Font size in preview pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Font size in preview pane: How do I set default preview size in Windows explorer preview pane? To clarify - size of text / file contents being previewed, not size of window or preview pane itself. I am able to do it for each file by Ctrl+scrolling mouse in and out, but it doesn't stay that way....
  5. Font size in preview pane

Font size in preview pane: How do I set default preview size in Windows explorer preview pane? To clarify - size of text / file contents being previewed, not size of window or preview pane itself. I am able to do it for each file by Ctrl+scrolling mouse in and out, but it doesn't stay that way....
  6. Windows 11 OneDrive folders - font files not showing preview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 OneDrive folders - font files not showing preview: As you can see below, I have a folder of fonts that I have installed. When the folder is in my OneDrive, I can only see that it's a font. When I copy it into any area of my laptop that is NOT backed up to OneDrive, I can see the previews. This is something that I really need...
  7. Windows 11 OneDrive folders - font files not showing preview

Windows 11 OneDrive folders - font files not showing preview: As you can see below, I have a folder of fonts that I have installed. When the folder is in my OneDrive, I can only see that it's a font. When I copy it into any area of my laptop that is NOT backed up to OneDrive, I can see the previews. This is something that I really need...
  8. Windows search web preview using wrong font

in Cortana
    Windows search web preview using wrong font: Recently I noticed that the web preview in the search box appears to be using the wrong font. I've tried restoring system fonts to no avail, however, on other user accounts it uses the correct font. [ATTACH]...
  9. How the hell is Font Rendering still not fixed? Explorer freezing upon previewing fonts for...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How the hell is Font Rendering still not fixed? Explorer freezing upon previewing fonts for...: When you have preview panel enabled, the Explorer chokes totally when clicking on a font, its terrible and been bugged since over a year. It takes minutes to render a single font and freezes everything, something is really broken there. submitted by /u/ShrikeGFX [link]...
  10. Problem in Font Preview in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Problem in Font Preview in Windows 10: Hello Every One! I have been facing font preview problem in Windows 10 since installation. Can anyone help? [ATTACH] Regards, Muhammad Saqib https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-in-font-preview-in-windows-10/6501dbbe-76d9-48cb-a1e0-1ef67642b912