Windows 10: Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu

Discus and support Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu How to Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu All apps in the Start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu

How to: Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu

How to Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu

All apps in the Start menu displays an alphabetical list of shortcuts to all installed Windows apps and desktop apps on your Windows 10 PC. Some of these shortcuts are grouped into folders with the folder name in the alphabetical list.

This tutorial will show you how to rename app and folder items listed in All apps on the Start menu for your account, new accounts, or all accounts in Windows 10.

*note You will not be able to rename Microsoft Store apps listed in All apps.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Rename Items in All apps from Start Menu
    • Option Two: To Rename Items in All apps for Current Account Start Menu from File Explorer
    • Option Three: To Rename Items in All apps for New Accounts Start Menu from File Explorer
    • Option Four: To Rename Items in All apps for All Accounts Start Menu from File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add or Remove Items in All apps for Only Your Account
    1. Open All apps in your Start menu.

2. Right click or press and hold on a listed app (ex: "Google Chrome") in All apps you want to rename, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Open file location. (see screenshot below)

Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu [​IMG]

3. In File Explorer, right click or press and hold on this app's shortcut (ex: "Google Chrome"), click/tap on Rename, type a new name you want, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note You will need to be signed in as an new users or all users Start Menu folder location.

4. When finished, you can close File Explorer if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Rename Items in All apps for Current Account Start Menu from File Explorer

*note This option is for items in the Start menu for only the current account.
    1. Open File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Copy and paste the folder path below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter to open the folder.
    *Arrow %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    3. Right click or press and hold on a folder or app shortcut you want to rename, click/tap on Rename, type a new name you want, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can also rename items in these folders.

4. When finished, close File Explorer.

5. If you renamed any folders, you will need to restart the explorer process to apply.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Rename Items in All apps for New Accounts Start Menu from File Explorer

*note This option is for items in the Start menu only applied to new accounts created after your changes. You will need to be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

2. Copy and paste the folder path below into the address bar of File Explorer, and press Enter to open the folder.
    *Arrow C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    3. Right click or press and hold on a folder or app shortcut you want to rename, click/tap on Rename, type a new name you want, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

5. If you renamed any folders, you will need to restart the explorer process to apply.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Rename Items in All apps for All Accounts Start Menu from File Explorer

*note This option is for items in the Start menu shared by all accounts on the PC. You will need to be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

*Arrow %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 4, 2017

2. Rename start menu item Windows 10

Hello Richard,

The tutorial below can help show you how to rename items in the All Apps list on your Start menu in Windows 10.

Shawn Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Oct 27, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

dalchina, Oct 27, 2019
  5. scevism Win User
    scevism, Oct 27, 2019
  6. CharlesWC Win User
    Frequently used apps in Start menu

Thank you for the information. I followed the instructions (this is Windows 10). The items on the Start menu are:

1. Show More Tiles. It was turned off so I turned it back on.

2. Show App List in Start Menu - ON

3. Show Recently Added Apps - ON

4. Show Most Used Apps - Off but is gray so I cannot do anything with it.

5. Occasionally Show Suggestions in Start - Off

6. Use Full Start Screen - Off

7. Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar - On

Even with turning the Show More Tiles on the Show Most Used Apps is not available. Any suggestions?

CharlesWC, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Rename Items in All Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu - Similar Threads - Rename Items Apps

2. How Remove Item in All apps in Windows 11 Start menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Remove Item in All apps in Windows 11 Start menu?: I deleted the game yesterday from the game pass through the game shortcut. The game was deleted, but the shortcut remained. Planet of Lana game. I searched on the disks and in the registry and found everything with the same name and deleted it, but it did not help. I...
  3. How Remove Item in All apps in Windows 11 Start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Remove Item in All apps in Windows 11 Start menu?: I deleted the game yesterday from the game pass through the game shortcut. The game was deleted, but the shortcut remained. Planet of Lana game. I searched on the disks and in the registry and found everything with the same name and deleted it, but it did not help. I...
  4. How to Add or Remove Items in All apps on Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add or Remove Items in All apps on Start Menu in Windows 10: [ATTACH]The Start menu keeps evolving with the release of new builds or feature updates for the Windows 11/10 OS. PC users have the ability to customize the Start menu to their preference, like adding a folder to the Start menu and more. In this post, we will show you how to...
  5. Rename item in New context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename item in New context menu: There are many well descripted sources about how to add/delete item from context menu new – for instance Edit, Add, Remove items from New Context Menu in Windows 10 – but none of them states how to rename such item in reliable way. I found article Change Name/Description...
  6. Start menu missing all installed programs/apps and pinned items

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu missing all installed programs/apps and pinned items: I'm running windows 10 Pro 1903 and have been having some trouble with my start menu. The other week pinned items would not work so I done a repair install to fix the problem. Today suddenly most of my pinned items on the start menu have mysteriously vanished and all my...
  7. Rename start menu item Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rename start menu item Windows 10: I have installed different versions of an application but they all appear as "ABC application". How can I can name each one uniquely ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-start-menu-item-windows-10/db44fa34-1d71-4466-b7b9-94644bb88dc5
  8. [SOLVED]Moving an All Apps item to the first Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    [SOLVED]Moving an All Apps item to the first Start Menu: I just completed installing 9879 using Brink's instructions on how to do it over Win 7 to get all of my apps included without having to reinstall them! Thanks Brink. However I am left with one annoying situation. Wnen I press the Windows key, several of the folders...
  9. Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu items will not remain sorted by name after renaming: Hello ! I'm using windows 10 buid 1511 I have a strange issue : When I install a new program , a shortcut is created on start menu , and this shortcut is located correctly according to first letter , for example "Adobe Photoshop CC" , is located under "A" section on start...
  10. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Items in All apps in Windows 10 Start menu All apps in the Start menu displays an alphabetical list of shortcuts to all installed Windows apps and desktop apps on your Windows 10...