Windows 10: Set Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Family Member

Discus and support Set Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Family Member in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Family Member How to Manage Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Member... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 9, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Set Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Family Member

How to: Set Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Family Member

How to Manage Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Member in Microsoft Family Group

A child's location, limit which websites and games they can access, and require your approval to purchase from the Microsoft Store.

Once you set up your family group, you can add or remove child and adult members.

The content filters you set determine what your child can get from the websites they visit, which games they can play, or whether they need adult approval to buy from the Microsoft Store. Content filters include three settings: Ask a parent; Apps, games & media; and Web browsing. You set the rules, and you decide when to break them. Like with screen time, your child can send you exception requests for content that you can respond to through email or on account.microsoft.com/family.

You can block kids' ability to purchase and use inappropriate apps, games, and media on Xbox One and Windows 10 devices by setting an age limit for content. Anything rated above that limit will require adult approval.

You can block inappropriate websites on Windows 10, Xbox One, and Android devices running Microsoft Launcher when you use Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge browsers.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to manage apps, games, and media restrictions for a child member in your Microsoft family group on Windows 10 and Xbox One devices.

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to manage your family settings online.

2. As an adult in the family, go to the Microsoft Family website, sign in with your Microsoft account if not already, and go to step 4 below.

3. Open Settings in Windows 10, click/tap on the Accounts icon, click/tap on Family & other users on the left side, click/tap on the Manage family settings online link, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

Set Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Family Member [​IMG]

4. Click/tap on the Content restrictions link for the child member you want to manage. (see screenshot below)

5. Turn on or off Block inappropriate apps, games & media under Apps, games & media for what you want. (see screenshot below)

6. If you turned on Block inappropriate apps, games & media, select the age limit you would like to apply to your child in the Allow apps and games rated for drop down list. (see screenshots below)

*note You can click/tap on the View allowed ratings link to see the Allowed content ratings for the standard content ratings for the age limit you set for your child.

7. You can now remove (if wanted) apps, games & media from the Always allowed and Always blocked list. (see screenshot below)

*note If your child downloaded something before you set these limits, you can block it where it appears on the Activity page. They’ll need your permission to use it again, and you can respond to their requests from your email or on Microsoft account | Your family.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 9, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Family Settings - Manage for Child in Windows 10

UPDATE: Email from Microsoft.

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. I would like to be asked to approve ALL app downloads my child would like to download

Hi,

There is an option in Microsoft Family settings wherein you can manage your child's account to ask permission before downloading apps. To manage a child's account, follow these steps:

• Login your Microsoft account on this link.
    • Click Family at the upper-right corner of the page.
    • Under the child's account, select Content restrictions.
    • Under Apps, games & media, toggle the Block inappropriate apps, games & media option to
      On and set an age limit to block inappropriate apps, games, & media.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Gerard Qui, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Bypass Family Settings by conversion to Local Account

I assumed that you had created a child (family) account, not creating a local normal account then converting it.

In your case I would simply copy his personal stuff to an external backup drive, remove his account and start from scratch. Takes a few minutes but in doing so you get better control.

When you have removed his account, this is Phase 1 in recreating a controlled child account to him: Child Account - Add or Remove from Your Family in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. When done, restore his personal content to respective folders under his user profile folder.

Doing this he has no way to switch to a local account.

Then, the more you have patience to read, the more practical tips you will get:

5. Mala_S Win User
    Restore chrome filter in family

Hello HagaiCohen,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Microsoft has updated its family safety service for Windows Users with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. To restore an application or a browser to
    Always blocked list in Microsoft Family, the child first needs to use that particular browser. Once the application is used, it shows up under the list to block.

You can block kids’ ability to use inappropriate apps, games on Windows 10 devices by setting an age limit for content. Kindly follow the below steps:

• Go to
      https://account.microsoft.com/family
      and sign in with your adult Microsoft account.
    • Find your child's name and select Content restrictions.
    • Go to Apps, games & media and switch
      Block inappropriate apps, games & media from Off to
      On. Under Allow apps and games rated for select the age limit you’d like to apply to your child.
    • When your child requests to use a blocked app or game, you can approve it and add it to the
      Always allowed list, which is under Content restrictions.
    • If your child downloaded something before you set these limits, you can block it where it appears on the
      Activity page. They’ll need your permission to use it again, and you can respond to their requests from your email or on
      https://account.microsoft.com/family.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Restrict app access to UWP apps in Windows 10

Hi ExtGame,

You can easily block apps by setting up restrictions through the child's Microsoft account.

To do this, go to https://account.microsoft.com/family and sign in with your Microsoft account. Then:

• Find your child's name and select Content restrictions.
    • Scroll down to Apps, games & media and switch Block inappropriate apps, games & media from
      Off to On.
    • To always block a specific app or game, add it to the Always blocked list by blocking it where it appears on the
      Activity page.
    Note: If your child downloaded something before you set these limits, you can block it where it appears on the Activity page. They’ll need your permission to use it again, and you can respond to their requests from your email
    or on https://account.microsoft.com/family.

You may block Skype in there. For more information about setting restrictions for a child on Windows 10, you may visit
    this page.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Set Apps, Games and Media Content Restrictions of Child Family Member - Similar Threads - Set Apps Games

2. family group child member cannot join

in Windows 10 Gaming
    family group child member cannot join: Hello,My childs account was removed and added to another family group account which no one has access to anymore. How can I have his account re-joined. I can login to my account and his but he cannot leave the other family group account....
  3. family group child member cannot join

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    family group child member cannot join: Hello,My childs account was removed and added to another family group account which no one has access to anymore. How can I have his account re-joined. I can login to my account and his but he cannot leave the other family group account....
  4. family group child member cannot join

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  5. Adding family member as a member adds him as a child?

Adding family member as a member adds him as a child?: Hi there,So I've added my wife as a family member so she can use my pc, but since she is not that computer literate I've added her as a member and not as orginiser. By doing that, she has received the email saying that I would like her to join my family as a child. After you...
  6. Content restrictions not working for a child account in Microsoft Family Safety

Content restrictions not working for a child account in Microsoft Family Safety: So i have a 12 y/o account on my microsoft "family". In the Family section of my microsoft account, I have the childs account activated and i have blocked inappropriate websites toggle on. Toggling this switch will block adult content and enable safesearch according to the...
  7. Microsoft family content restrictions

Microsoft family content restrictions: I've set my son up with a child's account and only want to allow him access to certain websites. I inputted all the web addresses but when he tries to access a video on the website for his homework it says that he needs to ask for permission. How can I override this to...
  8. Microsoft Family content restrictions not updating

Microsoft Family content restrictions not updating: Hi, I have as parent added a few websites to the 'Always blocked' list on the 'content restriction' section of my Microsoft Family account. This only seem to apply to the computer where I edited the online 'content restrictions' list. On other computers, where I have...
  9. Microsoft Family shared content restriction

Microsoft Family shared content restriction: I've tried to search for this subject, but was unable to find any meaningful information. I have four children setup and for the web browsing content restriction, we have it setup that they are only allowed access to websites listed in the "Only Allowed" list (whitelist)....
  10. How to Set App and Game Limits for Microsoft Family Child Member

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Set App and Game Limits for Microsoft Family Child Member: How to: How to Set App and Game Limits for Microsoft Family Child Member How to Set App and Game Limits for Microsoft Family Child on Windows 10, Xbox One, and Android A child's location, limit which websites and games they can access, and require your approval to...