Windows 10: Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map

Discus and support Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map How to Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map One of the many benefits of having a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 5, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map

How to: Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map

How to Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map

One of the many benefits of having a Microsoft account is a family group, which gives you access to family features and settings. It's a free service that helps families stay connected and keeps kids safer on Windows 10, Xbox One devices, and Android devices running Microsoft Launcher. Youll find settings like activity reporting, screen time limits, location sharing, and content filters, where you can also track kids spending and add money to their Microsoft accounts.

A Microsoft family group is separate from other Microsoft apps and programs. You can sign up with your email account. If you already use Skype, youll have a family chat set up and waiting for you once you create your family group. If you dont already have Skype, get more information and sign up to create an account for your family.

Once you set up your family group, you can add or remove child and adult members.

You can see your child's location on a map when your child uses a Windows 10 phone or runs Microsoft Launcher version 4.10 or higher on their Android device. Give yourself peace of mind and check in on your child's location whenever you need to. Make sure they made it home safely from school, or use it when they're out with friends.

See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to use the Find you child feature of Microsoft Family to see the last known location of your child's Windows 10 Mobile phone or Andriod device on a map.

*note You will need to make sure your child’s device has location turned on. The location setting on the device may have varying degrees of location accuracy, so make sure to choose the setting with the highest accuracy. For example, some will have a battery-saving location setting that uses Wi-Fi networks to find your location, which isn’t as accurate as GPS.​​​​​​​

*note For Android devices only. If Microsoft Launcher doesn’t have permission to access location, you’ll see a banner notification at the top of your child’s device saying Launcher needs permission for certain features to work. Tap the notification and follow the instructions. If you don’t see a notification banner, swipe left from the home screen, and look for your child’s profile at the top of the feed. You’ll see a message if your child needs to turn the permission on. Tap on the message and follow the steps on the screen.

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to manage your family settings online.

2. As an adult in the family, go to the step 4 below.

3. Open step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map [​IMG]

4. Click/tap on Find <child name> on a map in the More options drop down menu of the child member you want to find. (see screenshot below)

5. Do step 6 (turn on and find) or step 7 (turn off) below for what you would like to do.

6. To Turn On Show the Location of your Child's Device

Note When this is turned on, reminders will show on the child's phone that their location is available to adults in their family.

To see your child's device on a map, it will need to be turned on and connected to the internet.

A) Click/tap on Find your child on the left, and turn on Show the location of your child's device. (see screenshot below)

B) After a bit of searching and refining, you will now see the last known location of your child's Windows 10 phone on a map. (see screenshot below)

Note You will be able to drag and zoom in and out of the map as needed.

You can click/tap on Refresh to update the map.

7. To Turn Off Show the Location of your Child's Device
    A) Click/tap on Find your child on the left, and turn off Show the location of your child's device. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 5, 2017
  2. Brink Win User

Family Settings - Manage for Child in Windows 10

UPDATE: Email from Microsoft.

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Child option not present in Windows 10 Family Safety

Hi George,

Thank you for your response.

• Are you trying these steps in admin account or a local account?
    The steps given in the link ahs to be performed in the Website and a invite has to sent from the web and check if it helps.

I suggest you to refer the link and check the Add a child account to your family and check
    if it helps.

Hope this information helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map

Microsoft family features - child profile not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the family features are not working properly on the child account.

• When you say, “I removed the profile, and had him login again”, did you remove the account from the family or from the PC?

Regarding the app issue: Since you receive the message to look for an app from store while accessing the link to fix the child account issue. I suggest you to follow the steps to
    re-register the apps.

1. Press and hold the Windows key + X.
    2. Select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
    3. Type the command and hit Enter on the keyboard: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    4. Restart the PC.

In addition, you can also try removing the child account from family and adding it again to the family. Refer the article

Remove members from your family group and
    Add members to your family group.

Regarding the email address on the login page:
    Do you see verify option under accounts in settings?

If you are able to see the verify option under accounts in settings page, I suggest you to try verifying the account and check if that helps.

1. Go to Settings >
      Accounts > Your info.
    2. Under the Email address click on
      Verify.
    3. Enter the code, which will be sent to your
      email address or mobile number.
    4. Click on Next to verify the account.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Noor_Azam Win User
    Something went wrong message when my child clicks join family link in the email.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Is the Child account a Microsoft account?

The issue might be due to the age verification, hence I suggest you to verify the child’s age by logging in with child’s account on
    account.microsoft.com/family and verify the age.

I also suggest you to refer the article
    Add members to your family group to get more information on adding members to your family account.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Junaid_A Win User
    Microsoft Family Screen Time

Hi Laurel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

This could happen when the child account fails to sync with the server. I suggest you to try the steps listed below and check if it works:

• Open
      File Explorer
      and navigate to the following location:
    • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls

Note:
      The above mentioned directory is hidden, copy and paste the same location on the search bar in the File Explorer to access it.
    • Delete the contents in the
      \\settings
      directory of the Parental Controls folder.
    • Reboot the machine to see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, you may want to remove the child account from Microsoft family and add it again.

• To know how to remove an account from Microsoft Family, refer:

Remove members from your family group
    • To know how to add an account to Microsoft Family, refer:

Add members to your family group

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map

1. Find Your Child in Microsoft Family on a Map - Similar Threads - Find Child Microsoft

2. Microsoft Family Safety removing a child

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Safety removing a child: My daughter is now a lot older and so if I remove her from Microsoft Family Safety does this remove her account from the PC ?I just want to remove the Microsoft Family Safety control but allow her to access the computer as normal. She has a lot of school work that I do not...
  3. Family safety: child position on maps does not update

Family safety: child position on maps does not update: Hello,I have Family safety set for both my children Android phone.It looks working good except for position on maps: it looks like it does not update anymore!They are both shown at home, but 8 and 51 days ago!I tried opening map within Family Safety app on a child phone and...
  4. Family safety: child position on maps does not update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family safety: child position on maps does not update: Hello,I have Family safety set for both my children Android phone.It looks working good except for position on maps: it looks like it does not update anymore!They are both shown at home, but 8 and 51 days ago!I tried opening map within Family Safety app on a child phone and...
  5. Family safety: child position on maps does not update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. adding a childs phone to microsoft family

adding a childs phone to microsoft family: How do I add my child's andriod phone to devices on Microsoft family? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/adding-a-childs-phone-to-microsoft-family/3ddd65da-48ce-4c95-bca6-b35779cc0fec
  7. Microsoft Family Child Account Password

Microsoft Family Child Account Password: My daughter has a child account, she has forgotten her password. There is nowhere to reset the password on the family account management screen. The password reset does not work as 'not enough information' - she's 8 what info would you expect. What is the point of the...
  8. Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family...

Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family...: Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family features to work properly. Until they do, this weekly report will not reflect their screen time and recent activity for that device. I am getting message (as per subject) on one of...
  9. Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family...

Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family...: Hi, In my Microsoft Family, I am seeing the following message for one of the Child accounts: "Your child needs to sign in again with their Microsoft account on their device for family features to work properly." When I click "See Devices", it specifies the device...
  10. Microsoft Family Child Permissions

Microsoft Family Child Permissions: I want to block Google Hangouts which has an address of hangouts.google.com But my child needs access to Google Docs which has an address of google.com/drive My question is can I block certain sites in google.com but allow others? Thanks! Larry...