Windows 10: Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10

Discus and support Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10 How to Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10 [img] Information Your desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10

How to: Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10

How to Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10

Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Your desktop background (also called wallpaper) can be a picture from your personal collection or included with Windows, a solid color, or a slideshow playing selected pictures randomly on all displays.

This tutorial will show you how to specify a default desktop background that cannot be changed for specific or all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to specify a default desktop background.

Warning You will need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Specify Default Desktop Background in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: To Specify Default Changing Desktop Background for Only Current User in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Desktop Background Settings when Specified

OPTION ONE [/i] To Specify Default Desktop Background in Local Group Policy Editor

Note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Desktop, and Desktop. (See screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Desktop, double click/tap on Desktop Wallpaper to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (not specify) or step 6 (specify) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Not Specify Default Desktop Background
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Specify Default Desktop Background
    A) Select (dot) Enabled. (see screenshot below)

B) Type the full path of the .jpg or .bmp file you want to use into the Wallpaper name field under Options.

Note Do not wrap the full path in quotes.

The .jpg or .bmp file should be located in a folder that all users have at least "Read" access permission rights for. For example, in one of the C:\Users\Public folders or in the C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper folder.

C) Select Center, Fill, Fit, Span, Stretch, or Tile in the Wallpaper Style drop down for what you want.

D) Click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. sign in to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Specify Default Changing Desktop Background for Only Current User in Registry Editor

Note This option will only affect this single user account that you are currently signed in to while performing this option.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Note If you do not have a System key, then right click or press and hold on the Policies key, click/tap on New, click/tap on Key, type System for the name, and press Enter.

3. Do step 4 (specify) or step 5 (not specify) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Specify Default Desktop Background for Current User
    A) In the right pane of the System key, double click/tap on the Wallpaper string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

Note If you do not have a Wallpaper string value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the System key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type Wallpaper for the name, and press Enter.
    B) Type the full path of the .jpg or .bmp file you want to use, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note Do not wrap the full path in quotes.

The .jpg or .bmp file should be located in a folder that all users have at least "Read" access permission rights for. For example, in one of the C:\Users\Public folders or in the C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper folder.

C) In the right pane of the System key, double click/tap on the WallpaperStyle string value (REG_SZ) to modify it. (see screenshot below step 2)

Note If you do not have a WallpaperStyle string value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the System key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type WallpaperStyle for the name, and press Enter.
    D) Enter the value data number from the table below for the Center, Fill, Fit, Span, Stretch, or Tile wallpaper style you want to use, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

[table][tr][td]Wallpaper Style[/td] [td]Value Data[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Center[/td] [td]0[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Fill[/td] [td]4[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Fit[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Span[/td] [td]5[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Stretch[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Tile[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr] [/table]

5. To Not Specify Default Desktop Background for Current User
    A) In the right pane of the System key, select both the Wallpaper and WallpaperStyle string values, right click or press and hold on them, and click/tap on Delete. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

7. sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Oct 18, 2017

2. Slideshow as desktop background.

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Logo Key + I. Then click on Personalization.
    • Click on Background to change it.
    For reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-change-desktop-background

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Oct 26, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Misiowiec Win User
    Lost desktop background

I did a Search & Distroy spyware scan the other day, and one of the suggested "fixes" said something about removing Active Desktop. Like the muppet I am I clicked yes and am now without a desktop background picture.

Does anyone have an idea how to reverse this? If I try to select a picture it's simply not added as a background.

Misiowiec, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Specify Default Desktop Background in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Specify Default Desktop

2. Windows Default background (edited)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Default background (edited): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Beneficial_Type_8421 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/pdv688/windows_default_background_edited/
  3. Windows 10 Desktop Defaults

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Desktop Defaults: Why did my desktop move to my external hard drive and how to I get it back to C drive and keep C as default on my Dell Inspiron 15? I have Windows 10 Pro if that matters....
  4. Default User Desktop Background

Default User Desktop Background: One important thing for us to include in our Windows 10 clone/image is we want to set the wallpaper to a particular .jpg file to be used as the initial desktop background when new users log in. We do not want to use a policy GPO setting because we want the user to have the...
  5. Windows 10 default background images

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 default background images: Hi, Just wondering if anyone has come across standard background images being updated in Windows 10 to include something a little disturbing see below, second tile along. [ATTACH] First came across this on my daughter's laptop a few weeks ago, she started it up one...
  6. Windows 10 background colors default

Windows 10 background colors default: Somehow, all the background screen colors changed. How do I get the windows 10 default colors back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-background-colors-default/2d80e71d-f083-46c1-a444-e62326802421
  7. Windows 10 Default Backgrounds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Default Backgrounds: Hey, just wanted to ask if any of you guys have a google photos album or something like that with all the Windows 10 Default Background? I would be especially happy about the one with the green tent under the stars. I couldn’t find anything with a decent high resolution....
  8. How to Get Windows 10’s Old Default Desktop Background Back

How to Get Windows 10’s Old Default Desktop Background Back: Hi all - Thought that this might be of interest: "Strangely enough, Windows 10’s original desktop background has been removed from the latest version of Windows 10, build 1903. You’ll have to download it from the web or copy its files from an older Windows 10 PC."...
  9. Specify Windows To Go Default Startup Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Windows To Go Default Startup Options in Windows 10: How to: Specify Windows To Go Default Startup Options in Windows 10 How to Specify Windows To Go Default Startup Options in Windows 10 editions that enables the creation of a Windows To Go workspace that can be booted from a USB-connected external drive on PCs (hosts)....
  10. Specify Default Active Power Plan in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Default Active Power Plan in Windows 10: How to: Specify Default Active Power Plan in Windows 10 [img] Information A create custom power plans that are optimized for specific computers. By default, all users (standard and administrator) can make changes to any chosen the same power plan as their default...