Windows 10: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store

Discus and support Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store Turn On or Off Automatic Download and Install of App Updates by Store in Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by nissimezra, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store

How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store

Turn On or Off Automatic Download and Install of App Updates by Store in Windows 10

The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to download and install for their Microsoft account in Windows 10 PCs and devices.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the automatic download and installation of app updates by Store for your account or all users in Windows 10.

*note Make sure that you have the correct time set to avoid the Store having syncing issues.

*note You will need to have the Storage Service service running and set to Manual (Trigger Start) for Store updates to work properly.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store app for only your Account
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store for All Users using Group Policy
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: App Updates Available in Store

Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store app for only your Account
    1. Open the Microsoft Store app.

2. Click/tap on the See more (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. (see screenshot below)

3. Under App updates, turn on or off Update apps automatically to what you want. (see screenshots below)

4. When finished, you can close the Store app if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store for All Users using Group Policy

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below that does the same thing.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Store

3. In the right pane of Store in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off Automatic Download and Install of updates policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (default), step 6 (always on), or step 7 (always off) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Let Users Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store (default)
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot belowstep 7)

6. To Always have Update Apps Automatically Turned On in Store for All Users
    *note This step will override whatever users have set in Option One above.

A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot belowstep 7)

7. To Always have Update Apps Automatically Turned Off in Store for All Users

A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This option does the same thing as Option Two above.

The .reg files below will add and change the registry key and DWORD value below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsStore

AutoDownload DWORD

delete DWORD = default
    2 = always off
    4 = always on

1. Do step 2 (default), step 3 (always on), or step 4 (always off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Let Users Turn On or Off Update Apps Automatically in Store (default)
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

User_Choice_Store_Automatic_Download_Install_Updates.reg

Download

3. To Always have Update Apps Automatically Turned On in Store for All Users

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_On_Store_Automatic_Download_Install_Updates.reg

Download

4. To Always have Update Apps Automatically Turned Off in Store for All Users

Always_Off_Store_Automatic_Download_Install_Updates.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

9. If the Store app is open, then close and reopen it to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

nissimezra, Aug 6, 2015
  2. John65c Win User

svchost.exe taking absorbing the internet speed on windows 10

svchost.exe is part of windows and is used to update Apps

If you have slow broadband like mine it will hog all the bandwidth.

To turn off automatic apps update go to.

Start

Store (opens up windows app store)

Click on the Person symbol next to the search box

select Settings

Turn off Update Apps automatically

I also turn off Show products on tile

You can wait for current downloads to finish or

go to downloads and cancel them.

John65c, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 installing apps without permission

Hi Biagio,

App publishers sometimes update their apps to add new features and fix problems. The Windows Store can automatically install app and their updates. Here are the steps to permanently turn off the automatic installation of apps in your Windows 10:

• On the Start screen, select Store to open the Windows Store.
    • Select the account menu (next to the search box), then select Settings.
    • Under App updates, set Update apps automatically to
      No.

Keep us posted.

Regards.

Jessieca Sobe, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store

Shawn, there was an update to Store today or yesterday(Note: I have Home version):

Cliff S, Aug 27, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey Cliff, *Smile

I'm sorry, but???

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ah, great news. Now if they will just do the same for Windows Update.

Brink, Aug 27, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

*ThumbsYeah that would make a ton of people happy. I don't need it but, I respect choice 100%. And who knows maybe there will come an update that isn't good for one of my machines, so to have a choice(at least for non-critical or security updates) would be good.

Cliff S, Aug 27, 2015
  9. tfwul Win User
    BTW - if Store Settings - App updates is set to "Off" - will then the "Store" entry be gone?
    ( gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Store)

will that then again result in Event Log 'Warnings'
    [Warning]
    Event ID 3
    Source: Windows-ApplicationModel-Store-SDK
    Description: slot 'versionNotes' is not parented
    Function: MoveSlotToNewParent
    Source: D:\TB\6052\8375\src\src\Shared\UX\Controls\PDP\PageLayout.xaml.cs (86)

or

[Error]
    Event ID 1
    Source: Windows-ApplicationModel-Store-SDK
    Error loading user profile picutre: Url: hxxx//cid-efa795a44.users.storage.live.com/users/0x95a44/myprofile/expressionprofile/profilephoto:UserTileStatic/ProfileImage?ck=1&ex=24 Error: E_NETWORK_ERROR
    Error Code: -2147483648
    Function: UpdateHamburgerIdentityButtons
    Source: D:\TB\6052\8375\src\src\Shared\UX\Controls\HamburgerControl.xaml.cs (87)

(note, the above http link has been edited)

=

=

tfwul, Oct 5, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello tfwul, *Smile

The group policy should not go away no matter what it's set to.

Brink, Oct 5, 2015
  11. tfwul Win User
    Puzzled ...

Checked the eventlog - there was a 'warning' very soon after the first install (retail usb on a formatted SSD) reading

"
    Windows cannot find the resource package manifest in the bundle file: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.7.1.0_neutral_split.language-nl_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml
    "

Really don't know if that has something to do with it.

there are a lot of 'store' entries in the event log though.

Question is ... now what?

=

tfwul, Oct 5, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Interesting. I don't see this group policy anymore in build 10547.

Brink, Oct 5, 2015
  13. tfwul Win User

I checked what I did (kept screenshots of virtually all steps I take when installing WIndows and Windows applicatons,- not apps):
    right-click 'store' on taskbar
    to go settings
    auto update [off]
    store on taskbar again
    unpin this program from taskbar

Maybe... this results in removing it from group policy(?)
    and maybe this removal leads to all the event log entries
    verrry long shot though.

=

tfwul, Oct 6, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    No. It must have been a change made by Microsoft in some update. Group policies don't go away on their own like that.

What build are you running?

Brink, Oct 6, 2015
  15. tfwul Win User
    Build 10240. Insider Preview builds aside (think they are at 10525 or so) I assume this is the latest 'official' version.

tfwul, Oct 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Automatic Updates for Apps in Windows 10 Store - Similar Threads - Turn Off Automatic

2. how can i turn off automatic update of all apps in Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i turn off automatic update of all apps in Microsoft store: how can i turn off automatic update of all apps in Microsoft store *Moved from Office insider. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-turn-off-automatic-update-of-all-apps-in/8dd128e6-7e9d-4f0e-ae78-c08068b385d4
  3. how can i turn off automatic update of all apps in Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i turn off automatic update of all apps in Microsoft store: how can i turn off automatic update of all apps in Microsoft store *Moved from Office insider. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-turn-off-automatic-update-of-all-apps-in/8dd128e6-7e9d-4f0e-ae78-c08068b385d4
  4. Turn On or Off Automatic Replies in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn On or Off Automatic Replies in Windows 10 Mail app: Hi,We are facing an issue with users who are using Mail App in their laptop/Microsoft Surface, when they are trying to Sync the mails a warning message is popping, "You're sending automatic replies from account Turn Off /Dismiss" if we turn off still after some time it's...
  5. Turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Turn off automatic updates: I have followed the directions for stopping the automatic updates, but when I try to execute them, it tells me I can't access that feature. How do I turn this feature off?...
  6. turn off automatic updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    turn off automatic updates: automatic updates in my laptop makes my browsing speed very low. how can I turn off automatic windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-automatic-updates/74d6a85a-409f-4eee-b806-5abd72a9471a
  7. Turn automatic updates off?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Turn automatic updates off?: Hello, i just installed windows 10 pro 64bit on my computer and would like to turn automatic updates off but cannot find the option on control panel. Can anyone help me out? 110716
  8. Is it possible to turn off automatic updates for windows 10?

Is it possible to turn off automatic updates for windows 10?: Hello, Is it possible to turn off automatic updates for windows 10? I check for updates often and would rather manually install them instead of finding out after the fact that updates we made. Thanks in advance. Stu 68977
  9. Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates

Turn off automatic Windows 10 Updates: Hello. To turn off automatic updates in Windows 10, we basically need to prevent the Windows Update service from running on startup. This can be done by going to Start Menu>type 'Services'>look for a service called 'Windows Update' and double click on it>if it's already...
  10. Turn On or Off Automatic Replies in Windows 10 Mail app

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Automatic Replies in Windows 10 Mail app: How to: Turn On or Off Automatic Replies in Windows 10 Mail app How to Turn On or Off Automatic Replies in Mail app in Windows 10 The Mail and Calendar apps included with Windows 10 help you stay up to date on your email, manage your schedule and stay in touch with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. https://storage.live.com/users/0x62744cf9d515ba87/myprofile/expressionprofile/profilephoto:UserTileStatic/ProfileImage?ck=1