Windows 10: Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

Discus and support Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 How to Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information Using a strong... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

How to: Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

How to Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Using a strong password is among the most important steps you can take to protect your computer from hackers and other unwelcome users.

If you have a local account on the PC, then your Windows password is what you use to sign in to your user account in Windows on the PC.

If you have a Microsoft account, then your password is what you use to sign in to online Microsoft services and Windows on PCs and devices that you use the same Microsoft account on.

When you create a password to sign in to Windows, you can create a hint to help you remember it. If you've already created a password, you'll need to change it in order to create a password hint. If your PC is on a domain, you can't create a password hint.

This tutorial will show you different ways to add a password to your or any local account in Windows 10.

Note You must add a password before you can use the other sign-on options (ex: PIN or picture password).

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Add Password to your Local Account in Settings app
    • Option Two: To Add Password to any Local Account in Control Panel
    • Option Three: To Add Password to any Local Account in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] To Add Password to your Local Account in Settings app
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on Sign-in options on the left side, and click/tap on the Add button under Password. (see screenshot below)

3. Type in a new password and password hint, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Finish. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Add Password to any Local Account in Control Panel

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the User Accounts icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage another account link. (see screenshot below)

3. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

4. Click/tap on a local account (ex: Brink2) that you want to change or remove the password of. (see screenshot below)

5. Click/tap on Create a password. (see screenshot below)

6. Type in a new password and password hint, and click/tap on Create password. (see screenshot below)

7. You can close the "Change an Account" Control Panel if you like.

8. Be sure to remember to let the local account know their new password.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Add Password to any Local Account in Command Prompt

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. To see a list of names for user accounts on the PC, type net users in the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

3. Type the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net user "UserName" "Password"

Note Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name of the local account within quotes from step 2 above that you want to add a password to.

Substitute Password in the command above with the actual password within quotes you want to add for the local account.

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

5. Be sure to remember to let the local account know their new password.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 25, 2016
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

Forgot Local account password

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you as you do not remember the local account password, we will help you with this issue.

Kindly let us know if you have Microsoft account on your computer.

If so, I suggest you to log-in with the Microsoft account and change the password for the local account.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key, type Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Then click on Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click
      Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap Accounts, and then click Sign-in options.
    • Tap Change your password and follow the instructions.

For reference: Passwords in Windows: FAQ

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Forgot Local Password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and reset the password for the local account and check.

• Login in to your Microsoft account.

• Press Windows logo key + X key.

• Select Computer Management.

• Click on Local user and group.

• In the right window pane, double click on user’s folder.

• Right click on local user account and select set password and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 26, 2019
  6. P4-630 Win User
    How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

1. Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Password Local

2. How do I add a Local Password to the account used to set up Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How do I add a Local Password to the account used to set up Windows 10: I am constantly getting error code 0x8009002d when attempting to log in using my Pin after I put my laptop in either sleep or hibernate modes. I do this because I often have multiple processes running and it is more time efficient to leave them open on my computer than to...
  3. How do I add a Local Password to the account used to set up Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I add a Local Password to the account used to set up Windows 10: I am constantly getting error code 0x8009002d when attempting to log in using my Pin after I put my laptop in either sleep or hibernate modes. I do this because I often have multiple processes running and it is more time efficient to leave them open on my computer than to...
  4. Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...: Hi,I am getting confused need help to clarify if possible.Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two different things?Case 1. When we turn on computer there is a screen shows login, is that called Password of local account in Windows...
  5. Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...: Hi,I am getting confused need help to clarify if possible.Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two different things?Case 1. When we turn on computer there is a screen shows login, is that called Password of local account in Windows...
  6. Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Password Recovery for Local Windows 10 Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Recovery for Local Windows 10 Account: So I've seem to forgotten my password for my account on my PC, I had it written down yet for some reason whatever I have written doesn't work. I can still login because I have a PIN set as well as Windows Hello but I want to change my password and I can't do it without...
  8. Local admin account password - Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local admin account password - Windows 10: Hi, my laptop suffers from occasional disk errors and I get into disk repair mode. I get asked for a password I assume admin and enter it successfully - job done? Not exactly, I can't figure out how to change this password as I can't see a password change option under account...
  9. Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10: How to: Add Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 How to Add a Local Account or Microsoft Account in Windows 10 You need a user account to use Windows, and if you share a single PC with other people, each person should have their own account. Each person can...
  10. Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10: How to: Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10 How to Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information If you have a local account on the PC, then your Windows password is what you use to sign in to your user account in Windows on the PC....