Windows 10: Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 31, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to: Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information When you have the Reset account lockout counter after policy setting.

This tutorial will show you how to change the Account lockout duration for how many minutes a locked-out local account remains locked out before automatically becoming unlocked in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to change the Account lockout duration.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts using Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: To Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts using Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to" error

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts using Local Security Policy

Note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Navigate to Account Policies and Account Lockout Policy in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Account Lockout Policy, double click/tap on the Account lockout duration policy. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 0 and 99999 for how many invalid sign-in attempts you want before the account will be locked out after, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

Note Account lockout duration must be greater than or equal to the value of Reset account lockout counter after.

The default setting is 30 minutes that a locked-out account remains locked out before automatically becoming unlocked.

Setting 0 minutes will specifiy that the account will be locked out until an administrator explicitly unlocks it.

5. When finished, you can close the Local Security Policy window if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and make note of the current Lockout duration. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net accounts

3. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net accounts /lockoutduration:Number

Note Substitute Number in the command above with a number between 0 (none) and 99999 for how many minutes you want for a locked-out local account to remain locked out before automatically becoming unlocked.

Account lockout duration must be greater than or equal to the value of Reset account lockout counter after.

The default setting is 30 minutes that a locked-out account remains locked out before automatically becoming unlocked.

Setting 0 minutes will specifiy that the account will be locked out until an administrator explicitly unlocks it.

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 31, 2017
  2. Aleksey Win User

Account Lockout Policy is not working

Hello guys,

I have Windows 10 Enterprise build 10240 on my Dell Tablet (32 bit) and Oracle VM (32 bit). On both system, I tried to setup Account Lockout Policy in Local Security Policy. I have Account Lockout Threshold = 5, Lockout Duration and Reset Lockout Account Counter = 30 min. However, after locking my account or signing off, my account is not locked after 5 and more failed logon attempts. This feature worked correct on my Windows 8.1 system with the same account lockout settings.
    Does anyone experienced the same behavior? Any explanation or fix?

Thank you very much,

Aleksey, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 :(

Zakin, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Local and Microsoft account

Ah, ok. I see now.

You have added your MSA to used by other apps in her local account.

The only way to have the MSA use the same display name as the local account would be to change the name of the MSA. However, this would affect all PCs that use this MSA though.

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Account Lockout Duration for Local Accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Account Lockout

2. Lockout of an account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lockout of an account: Hey, I just bought a new PC and I was able to setup everything, when i was done i had to restart it but when it turned back on i got this message “the referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged into”. I don’t even have a password set for this account nor...
  3. Account Lockout Threshold, duration, counter? settings defeated?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Account Lockout Threshold, duration, counter? settings defeated?: new machine, windows 11 home.enabled gpedit.mscaccount lockout threshold 10 attempts, reset after 5 minutes.ok, tried the settings, to see if it worked.after 5 incorrect attempts, microsoft responded with "enter challenge phrase a1b2c3".THEN, gave options to enter either PIN...
  4. Account Lockout Threshold, duration, counter? settings defeated?

Account Lockout Threshold, duration, counter? settings defeated?: new machine, windows 11 home.enabled gpedit.mscaccount lockout threshold 10 attempts, reset after 5 minutes.ok, tried the settings, to see if it worked.after 5 incorrect attempts, microsoft responded with "enter challenge phrase a1b2c3".THEN, gave options to enter either PIN...
  5. Be Aware: Account Lockout for Local Administrator Accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Be Aware: Account Lockout for Local Administrator Accounts: With the KB5020282 update, Microsoft is introducing an important new security feature. This update, which became available on October 11, 2022 can lockout a local Administrator account after too many incorrect password attempts. As Microsoft explains, this is intended to...
  6. Be Aware: Account Lockout for Local Administrator Accounts

Be Aware: Account Lockout for Local Administrator Accounts: With the KB5020282 update, Microsoft is introducing an important new security feature. This update, which became available on October 11, 2022 can lockout a local Administrator account after too many incorrect password attempts. As Microsoft explains, this is intended to...
  7. Be Aware: Account Lockout for Local Administrator Accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Account lockout

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Account lockout: First off, I didn't have a password on my laptop, as I only had the one account "Customer PC" and have operated this way for over two years. A week ago, I booted up my laptop, and instead of asking to sign in I usually just hit enter and it logs in, I got a "Password...
  9. Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information When you have the Account lockout duration. A disadvantage to setting Reset account lockout...
  10. Change Account Lockout Threshold for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Account Lockout Threshold for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Account Lockout Threshold for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Account Lockout Threshold for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information The Reset account lockout counter after. Failed password attempts on workstations or member servers...