Windows 10: Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10

Discus and support Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 How to Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 When you shut down[/b]. The Interactive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Aman Kumar, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10

How to: Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10

How to Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10

When you shut down[/b].

The Interactive logon: Machine inactivity limit security policy setting allows you to specify an amount in seconds of inactivity to wait before Windows 10 will automatically lock the computer.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable automatic lock of the computer after specified seconds of inactivity for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable automatically lock computer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Automatically Lock Computer in Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Automatically Lock Computer in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Automatically Lock Computer in Local Security Policy

*note This option is only available in the Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Open Local Security Policy (secpol.msc).

2. Expand open Local Policies in the left pane, and click/tap on Security Options. (see screenshot below)

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

3. In the right pane of Security Options, double click/tap on Interactive logon: Machine inactivity limit. (see screenshot above)

4. Enter a number between 0 to 599940 for how many seconds of inactivity you want to lock after, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default is 0 (zero) seconds to not automatically lock the computer.

5. Close the Local Security Policy window.

6. Restart the computer to apply.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Automatically Lock Computer in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the registry key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

3. In the right pane of the System key, double click/tap on the InactivityTimeoutSecs DWORD to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you do not have a InactivityTimeoutSecs DWORD, then right click or press and hold on an empty space in the right pane of the System key, click/tap on New, click/tap on DWORD (32-bit) Value, type InactivityTimeoutSecs for the name, and press Enter.

4. Select (dot) Decimal, enter a number between 0 to 599940 for how many seconds of inactivity you want to lock after, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default is 0 (zero) seconds to not automatically lock the computer.

5. Close Registry Editor.

6. Restart the computer to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Aman Kumar, Dec 13, 2017
  2. newtekie1 Win User

[Tip] Automatic Login to Windows and Instantly lock the computer.

Problem: You like to leave XYZ program running 24/7, but XYZ program only starts when you log into the computer(XYZ can be whatever program you want). So when automatic updates hit and auto-restart your computer, the XYZ program doesn't start back up. You could not put a password on your user account, so the computer automatically logs onto your user account when it reboots, but that is insecure, and if you have nosy roommates/children/super intelligent monkeys, if there is no password they might get on your computer and find your huge collection of por...legally obtained songs...
    Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 Shifty_Eyes_Emoticon_by_Canaan1.gif

Solution: Set Windows to automatically log into a password protected user account, and then instantly lock the computer.*Rockout :rockout: Here's how:

• I'm going to assume you already have your user account password protected. If not, setup a password for your user account now...I'll wait...ok, moving on.
    • In the Run dialog type "control userpasswords2" without quotes. Then press OK.

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 autologin1.png
    • In the User Accounts window uncheck the box for "Users must enter a password to use this computer." Press OK.

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 autologin2.png
    • In the Automatically Log On window enter your username and password. Press OK.

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 autologin3.png
    • Open Notepad and type "rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkstation" without quotes.

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 autologin4.png
    • Save the text document as lock.bat. Make sure you change Save as type: from *.txt to *.*!

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 autologin5.png
    • Drag lock.bat into your Startup folder.

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 autologin6.png
    That is it. Now when the computer is rebooted it will automatically log in to your account, load any programs you want started, and lock the computer so a password is still required to use it.*Toast :toast:

A few notes:
    • If you change the password for your user account, it will break the auto login. You will have to go back into control userpasswords2 and re-enter your login information.
    • This should work with any recent version of Windows, I've tested it back to at least XP. You shouldn't be using anything older than that anyway.
    • I've tested this with Win7 and Vista Home Premium and up. It should work on Home Basic and Starter as well, and it should work on XP Home, but I haven't tested this personally. The lower versions of Windows might not have the Control Userpasswords2 ability.
    • This works with Server versions of Windows also.

newtekie1, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

How to stop Windows 10 from automatically installing new and updated drivers constantly (particularly for GPU users with stable drivers)

• Right click "My Computer"
    • Click "Properties"
    • Click on "Hardware" tab
    • Click "Device Installation Settings"
    • Tick the "No, let me choose what to do"
    • Tick "Never install driver software from Windows Update"

RCoon, Oct 27, 2019
  5. P4-630 Win User
    Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Lock screen not working properly on Windows 10 computer.

Hi Oshith,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in lock screen settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "It is not flapped over to password when clicking", you tried to check the issue by clicking through external mouse?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the picture of the lock screen and also try to update Display Adapter driver.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen pictures.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select the lock screen picture.

Step 2: I recommend you to update the latest driver for display adapter in Device Manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Display Adapter.

4. Right click on the driver and click on Update driver software.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10

1. Automatically Lock Computer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Automatically Lock Computer

2. Why my computer is locking automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why my computer is locking automatically: Hello everyone,I have a problem with my computer. It is locking when I unplug it from the socket even if the battery is full charged. It happens the 3 times I unplug it and it begins yesterday.When I press the power button on battery mode, it try to turn on but never more...
  3. Windows 'Locking' automatically

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 'Locking' automatically: Hi, Sometimes, when I turn on my windows 10 laptop, it reaches to desktop, but after 5 seconds, it shows screen 'Locking', then it automatically shuts down. This problem happens only sometimes. My graphic driver is up to date. Graphics:- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400....
  4. Computer Locking itself Automatically

Computer Locking itself Automatically: HP EliteBook 745 G6 Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.928 keeps locking itself while charging and does not show any errors just a splash blue screen which appears for almost 3 seconds ,even if its idle or just typing MSword or doing other staff....
  5. Computer keeps locking automatically

Computer keeps locking automatically: My computer keeps locking up. Ill try to run something and a blue screen will pop saying "locking..." And it will completely shut down. How do i fix this?...
  6. Windows locking automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows locking automatically: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jokerdhruv [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i4nl95/windows_locking_automatically/
  7. Window 10 lock automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Window 10 lock automatically: Hello sir /madam My laptop automatic locking & switch off. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-lock-automatically/9dcbaf2a-09a6-4c26-a067-99f13025882a"
  8. Computer keeps locking automatically

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer keeps locking automatically: My computer keeps locking up. Ill try to run something and a blue screen will pop saying "locking..." And it will completely shut down. How do i fix this? ***Modified title from: my computer (dell, windows 10) keeps locking up, how do I fix it?***...
  9. Stop computer from locking Windows 10 automatically

in Windows 10 News
    Stop computer from locking Windows 10 automatically: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Does your Windows PC gets locked automatically too often? If that’s the case, then its probably because of some setting in the computer is triggering the lock screen to appear, and that is locking out Windows 10, even when you [...] This post Stop computer...
  10. How to lock Windows 10 Automatically?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to lock Windows 10 Automatically?: Hi All, Does anybody know of any setting that I can enable to lock my Windows 10 PC automatically? Does it not have any setting at all? Do I have to edit Windows Registry (as I read in other forums) to enable this setting? Is it achievable by enabling screensaver only? Why...