Windows 10: Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; I tried both options and this still doesn't work for me... although my computer is timing out after 2 minutes. I set my screensaver, power options, etc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by win10noob0010, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10

I tried both options and this still doesn't work for me... although my computer is timing out after 2 minutes. I set my screensaver, power options, etc etc. all to never turn off/lock out and it still happens. Any ideas?

:)

win10noob0010, Jul 18, 2017
  2. pdomino Win User

Screen Keeps Turning off and Going to Lock screen after a few minutes

Thanks for not flaming me haha !

LOCK SCREEN TIME OUT

See if you have the option for “Console lock display off timeout” to change the amount of time to lock screen.

pdomino, Jul 18, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 18, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10

Hello win10noob, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Just to verify, this tutorial is for while you are on the lock screen from Win+L.

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  5. @Brink I don't think your phrasing is actually what you mean? You can't change computer settings from the lock screen as far as I know. This tutorial is about changing the amount of time it takes for the computer to timeout to "console lock display off," which is set to 1 minute by default and which sends me to the lock screen. I know the lock screen is also accessible by pressing Win+L but this tutorial is certainly not meant to be applied while I am on the lock screen.

I have made sure my display isn't turning off for any other reason (screen saver, sleep, etc), and gone through and completed the steps in this tutorial, including the registry edit that places the console lock display off option in advanced power settings. Changing the numbers to any value in this menu has no impact on how long the computer takes to lock & turn off the display after no action - it is still about 2 minutes. Could there be another computer setting causing it to lock up'?

EDIT: I have a second monitor attached by HDMI, which appears to be the cause of the timeout. When I detach the monitor the computer does not lock up.

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It won't send you to the lock screen when the timeout has been reached.

Console lock display off timeout is the amount of minutes Windows will wait idle with no activity while on the lock screen when a user locks the computer before timing out and automatically turning off the display.

You might see if these below may be turning off the display instead.

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  7. Oh I see. Thank you, that makes more sense.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jul 18, 2017
  9. Great tutorial, Brink! I'm hoping to deploy this via Group Policy - any ideas where to start?

sparkiejen, Feb 21, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jen, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

I'm afraid I don't know for that either.

Brink, Feb 21, 2018
  11. tsuak Win User
    This behavior is strange for me too.

tsuak, Apr 4, 2018
  12. tsuak Win User
    Hi all! My computer always turns display off when i lock it. Not immediately, of course, but within 5-10 minutes it happens.
    I tried to set up more time via Console lock display off timeout option. It doesn't work.
    Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

tsuak, Apr 17, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello tsuak, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Is this happening with the same amount of time you have set for the Turn off display after setting in Power Options? You might change the time to test and confirm.

*Arrow Change Turn off Display after Time in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

If not and this is a monitor, you might check its on screen menu settings to see if it may have its own turn off display setting.

Brink, Apr 17, 2018
  14. tsuak Win User
    Of course it's not hit the set up time. It turns off much more earlier. I tried to set up different time and test. I got the same.
    I have a laptop and an additional monitor. Monitor always black when i push win+L. And laptop display turns off after several minutes.What else i can check?

tsuak, Apr 18, 2018
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Since this is for a laptop, check to see if you may have any OEM power management software installed. Its settings may be overriding what you have set in Windows Power Options.

Brink, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Lock Screen Display Off Timeout in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Lock Screen

2. Screen lock or timeout

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen lock or timeout: My screen lock has been set to kick in at 15 mins for some time now but it locks after only a minute or two. How can I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-lock-or-timeout/2bc2c310-a96b-4b5f-8907-d6eaa6e3a919
  3. Lock Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lock Screen Timeout: I have followed all the suggestions made by changes in the registry and in the power options but the timeout in my Windows 10 still remains at 1 to 2 minutes. Is it any way I can just turn off all the functions related to having the computer going to sleep? Any help will be...
  4. Windows Lock Screen Not Changing

Windows Lock Screen Not Changing: My lock screen will not allow me to change the photos! I have 5 "prechosen" pictures that show up in little buttons and then the browse button, and I can only use those 5 pictures. Which is aggravating because yes they are my photos but they aren't the ones that I want. What...
  5. Display, desktop, lock, and timeout

Display, desktop, lock, and timeout: There are 3 different personalized screens I am finding. The standard desktop background, and the lock screen. I am having trouble finding a way to customize this 3rd screen which is a timeout screen that plays a slideshow about a minute after inactivity. I move the mouse or...
  6. Keep lock screen on (don't turn off display)

Keep lock screen on (don't turn off display): This is an odd request, but my mom would like this and I can't figure out how. :P Is there a way to prevent the screen from turning off when the computer is locked? She likes her lock screen images but the screen turns off after 30 seconds or so when locked. (I tried...
  7. changing windows lock screen

changing windows lock screen: does anyone know how to change the windows lock screen picture and make it into a slideshow? 12512
  8. Console Lock Display Dff Timeout not working on 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Console Lock Display Dff Timeout not working on 10: I have added the Console Lock Display off time out to the advanced power options. However; the display does not turn off after locking the desktop. The only solution i could find in Windows 8 was to reset the user security policies , but i cannot find that option in Windows...
  9. Tablet PC display off timeout -> display deep sleep?

in Windows 10 Support
    Tablet PC display off timeout -> display deep sleep?: I have a Samsung Galaxy TabPro S and there is a very annoying problem to do with the display where after it times out, the display will not immediately wake up. Windows isn't in a sleep state as my music still plays in the background while the display is off. I have also...
  10. Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock screen and timeout not needed for desktop!: I notice that the tablet/phone lock screen is still appearing for Desktop/Laptop installs and wonder why. Previously when I enable turning off the lock screen in gpedit.msc it turns off the lock screen timeout too. But on the latest build I still get a much sooner...