Windows 10: Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Ice, Aug 2, 2015.

1. ICE
    Ice Win User

Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10

How to: Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10

How to Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10

A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications.

For example: Linux

Starting with Windows 10 build 18298, when you open the properties page of any Console window, you will notice an additional Terminal tab containing several new settings for some experimental features.

See also: New Experimental Console Features Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

This tutorial will show you how to change the cursor shape of a console window (ex: command prompt, PowerShell, Linux) for your account in Windows 10.

*note The cursor shape you set for a console window will only be applied to the specific console window shortcut that opened it.

For example, command prompt opened via Win+X menu VS Run (Win+R) dialog. Each location would have its own settings.

EXAMPLE: Available cursor shapes in console window

Legacy Style: Thicker underscore by default, but controlled by the cursor size property in the "Options" page

Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Underscore: Thinner underscore

Vertical Bar: For all you crazy kids who like your cursors tall and skinny

Empty Box: The second-best cursor:

Solid Box: The one true cursor

Here's How:

1. Open a Linux console window you want to change the default cursor shape of.

*note You could also just directly right click on the console window shortcut or file, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 3 below.

2. Right click or press and hold on the title bar of the console window, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Terminal tab, select (dot) the Cursor Shape you want, and click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

4. You can now close the console window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

2. Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10  

I'm on the same build. So we don't have it yet.

OldGuyFromCdn, Oct 27, 2019
  3. TechZ Win User

TechZ, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Cursor changes shape

The cursor changes shape from the normal arrow to one or more vertical lines with hatching. Restarting the computer fixes the problem, but only for an hour or two. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks

StephenBabcock, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Cursor stuck on arrow and will not change shape

Running windows 10 and office 2016, this morning the mouse decided to be stuck on the arrow shape and will not change shape when you're in office (esp excel when you need the cross hair or line) or even hovering over the internet bar, is stays as an arrow
    - I've done driver updates and set cursor to windows default with no luck, also I've done no system updates for the past 2 weeks - any help is appreciated?

KTM350ROCKS, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Cursor Shape of Console Window in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Cursor Shape

2. The cursor's shape is not like the preview from settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The cursor's shape is not like the preview from settings: My cursor changes shape whenever I change the "Cursor Color" in Ease of Access, here are some picturesSee the difference?The left is the preview and the right is my current cursor...
  3. How to change cursor shape for a Windows Terminal profile

in Windows 10 News
    How to change cursor shape for a Windows Terminal profile: If you want to change the cursor shape for a profile in Windows Terminal on Windows 10, then this post can be helpful. By default, when you access a profile (say PowerShell or Command Prompt) in Windows Terminal, the cursor is visible in Bar (┃) shape. But there are 5 more...
  4. Cursor Shape

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cursor Shape: Hey everybody, I was wondering if there is a way to change the shape of the cursor. I know that there is a way to change the color, but I got a little tired of the shape. Please write back if you have any ideas, they will be greatly accepted. ~Elanoides~...
  5. Cursor stuck on arrow and will not change shape

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cursor stuck on arrow and will not change shape: Running windows 10 and office 2016, this morning the mouse decided to be stuck on the arrow shape and will not change shape when you're in office (esp excel when you need the cross hair or line) or even hovering over the internet bar, is stays as an arrow - I've done driver...
  6. Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Uncommon cursor shape when swiping on touchpad: When swiping on touchpad with two fingers so that the page scrolls, the mouse cursor becomes a small dot rather than the normal arrow shape. It appears as if I were using touch screen, where the small dot implies the location of my finger. But since I am not, the fact that...
  7. Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows: How to: Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows How to Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux This tutorial will show you how to...
  8. Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Foreground and Background Terminal Colors of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux...
  9. Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Cursor Color of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux Starting with Windows 10 build...
  10. Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10: How to: Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10 How to Change Transparency Level of Console Window in Windows 10 A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux In Windows 10, users...