Windows 10: Change Command Prompt Screen Buffer Size in Windows

Discus and support Change Command Prompt Screen Buffer Size in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window in Windows How to Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window in Windows A console (or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ddelo, Nov 16, 2017.

1. ddelo Win User

Change Command Prompt Screen Buffer Size in Windows

How to: Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window in Windows

How to Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window in Windows

A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications.

For example: Linux

The screen buffer size of a console window is expressed in terms of a coordinate grid based on character cells.
    • The width is the number of character cells in each row. The larger the width size, the more text will show in the same row before wrapping.
    • The height is the number of rows. The larger the height size, the further you can scroll before output data (text) is overwritten.
    This tutorial will show you how to change the screen buffer size of a console window (ex: command prompt, PowerShell, Linux) for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note The screen buffer size you set for a console window will only be applied to the specific console window shortcut that opened it.

For example, command prompt opened via Win+X menu VS Run (Win+R) dialog. Each location would have its own settings.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window in Properties
    • Option Two: To Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window using "Mode" Command

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window in Properties
    1. Open a Linux console window you want using the shortcut or location you want to apply a custom screen buffer size to.

*note You could also just directly right click on the console window shortcut or file, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 3 below.

2. Right click or press and hold on the title bar of the console window, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

Change Command Prompt Screen Buffer Size in Windows [​IMG]

3. Click/tap on the Layout tab, make any width and height adjustments you want for Screen Buffer Size, and click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

*note The width size you set under Screen Buffer Size will also be applied to the width size under Window Size.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Screen Buffer Size of Console Window using "Mode" Command
    *note The screen buffer size you set using this option will only be temporary, and only used while the console window is open unless you use Option One above to set it as default.
    1. While you have a step 2 (current size) or step 3 (change size) below for what you would like to do.

2. To See Current Screen Buffer Size of Console Window
    A) Type the command below into the console window, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow mode con

Note Lines = height size

Columns = width size

3. To Change Current Screen Buffer Size of Console Window
    A) Type the command below into the console window, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow mode con:cols=<Width Size> lines=<Height Size>

*note Substitute <Width Size> in the command above with the value (ex: "90") you want for the screen buffer width size. The width size you set for Screen Buffer Size will also be applied to the width size for Window Size.

Substitute <Height Size> in the command above with the value (ex: "20") you want for the screen buffer height size.

For example: mode con:cols=90 lines=20

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ddelo, Nov 16, 2017
  2. JesseMoll Win User

Windows 10 Wont open apps in full screen AT ALL

Hi,

The command prompt (or "cmd") defaults to 80 characters wide. You can make it wider by right clicking on the title bar on the top and selecting properties. In the layout tab, change the "Screen Buffer Size" Width to something larger than 80 (depending
    on how wide your screen is... try 160 or 200). This will allow you to make the command prompt window wider.

JesseMoll, Nov 16, 2017
  3. Resizing Command Prompt

Hello,

Thank you for your patience on this issue.

From the description provided, I understand that you want to change the font settings used in Windows Command prompt.

Please follow the below steps.

1. To open command prompt, type "cmd" in the Search Bar and press Enter.

2. Right-click on the top (the title bar) of the command prompt window and select "Properties". 3. When you open the "Options" tab, check "Quick Edit Mode".

4. Click on the "Layout" Tab. You will see two sets of options: "Window size" and "Screen buffer size".
    • Window size controls the size of the window you're working with.
    • Screen buffer size controls what's kept in your computer's buffer memory while you're running the command prompt, which can be up to 9999. It can be viewed using the scroll bar on the side of the window.
    5. Set a proper buffer size according to how much space you will need to keep at any given time.

6. Choose the color of your text, background screen, and pop-up windows by selecting the "Colors" tab.

7. Open the "Font" tab to choose the font you would like to use

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, please feel free to write to us and we will be glad to help you.

Thank You

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 16, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Dimitri. *Smile

Brink, Nov 16, 2017
  5. ddelo Win User
    Glad to have have contributed, to a more complete solution! That's what the best Win10 forum is all about.*Smile

ddelo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Command Prompt Screen Buffer Size in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Command Prompt

2. Black screen with command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen with command prompt: So basically I had a 2022 windows 10 pc and I wanted to get a 2016 version for my liking and it downloaded everything and then restarted my pc ever since then I didn't know what to do I watched some guides to do some health check ups but it didn't help it gpt me really...
  3. No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11: Hello,I notice when using Command Prompt in Windows11 that after you telnet to a device there is no buffercan't scroll back to previous output. If I just stay within command prompt everything works fine and the buffer is there. This never was the case with Windows10. Is there...
  4. No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No buffer using command prompt for telnet Windows 11: Hello,I notice when using Command Prompt in Windows11 that after you telnet to a device there is no buffercan't scroll back to previous output. If I just stay within command prompt everything works fine and the buffer is there. This never was the case with Windows10. Is there...
  5. Command Prompt Name Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Name Change: Hello, I've been searching the internet for results and I can't seem to get a clear answer. I'm looking to change the name I don't know what else to call it that appears in the Command Prompt once you open it. When you first open CMD it looks a lot like: C:\Users\*name*>...
  6. Windows Command Prompt Window Buffer Size won't change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Command Prompt Window Buffer Size won't change: Every time I open my Command Prompt and look at the Layout Tab in Properties, it will always have the Screen Buffer Size height equal to 30, even if I previously set it to something else. In the Defaults window I set it to 9999 but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have even...
  7. Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to change -Command Prompt - To :- Elevated Command Prompt: Having problem installing updates windows 10 64bit - version 2004 -- need to access command prompt as an Administrator to try to fix. Any ideas ?...
  8. cancel the effect of Windows upgrade on Command prompt window size

in Windows 10 Support
    cancel the effect of Windows upgrade on Command prompt window size: Before the upgrade to v1909, a batch file that would save a spreadsheet to two locations, then close Excel, used to open a 'DOS' window that was unobtrusively small. Now, the window stretches from the bottom to the top of the screen. It does not last long enough for me to...
  9. Command Prompt Experimental changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Experimental changes: Anyone figured out a use for the Opacity setting for Command Prompt on the Experimental tab? I've tried it at many different settings and I just can't see a use for it. 2127
  10. Change PowerShell To Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PowerShell To Command Prompt: How do you change from PowerShell to Command Prompt using file explorer ? 104838

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change windows buffer screen height in bat file