Windows 10: Change Default Console Window Size in Windows

Discus and support Change Default Console Window Size in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Default Console Window Size in Windows How to Change Default Console Window Size in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Default Console Window Size in Windows

How to: Change Default Console Window Size in Windows

How to Change Default Console Window Size in Windows

A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications.

For example: Linux

This tutorial will show you how to change the default window size a console window opens with by default for your account in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*note If you set a custom window size for a console window, it will only be applied to the specific console window shortcut that opened it.

For example, command prompt opened via Win+X menu VS Run (Win+R) dialog. Each location would have its own settings.

Here's How:

1. Open a Linux console window you want using the shortcut or location you want to apply a custom window size to.

*note You could also just directly right click on the console window shortcut or file, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 4 below.

2. Drag the borders of the console window to the size you want. (see screenshot below)

Change Default Console Window Size in Windows [​IMG]

3. Right click or press and hold on the title bar of the console window, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Layout tab, make any width and height adjustments you want for Windows Size, and click/tap on OK to apply. (see screenshot below)

*note The Window Preview box will show you a preview of your adjustments to see if that is what you want before you click/tap on OK to apply.

The width size you set under Window Size will also be applied to the width size under Screen Buffer Size.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Feb 9, 2018

2. How to change font size in Windows 10 and set them to default?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As your concern is about changing the font size, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Are you referring to font size in Windows operating system/ with in the Windows Live Mail?
    • Have you installed any fonts on your device?

If you are referring to font size in Windows operating system, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Steps to restore the default font settings.

• Press Windows key, type font and select
      Change Font Settings
    • Click on Restore default font settings.
    • Sign-out from the current user account and re-sign in and check if it helps.

Step 2: Change the font settings

• Press Windows key, type font and select View fonts installed.
    • Click on Change font size in the left pane.
    • Under Change the text only, click on the drop down arrow choose the appropriate option and change the size you wish to and click on
      Apply.

If you are referring to Windows Live Mail, I would like to inform that it is by design you cannot change the font settings to default on Windows Live Mail. Instead, you can choose appropriate font size and fonts while typing the mail.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 7 + GPU-Z size issue

It should be noted that w1zzard is aware of this issue, what we want is more people with the same problem to come forward and report any information they can.

Problem: GPU-Z is too big.

Change Default Console Window Size in Windows Capture182.jpg

Thats my GPU-Z on the right, sitting on top of a browser window (the GPU-Z page) showing the size difference.

How to reproduce it:

1. Must be running windows 7
    2. Must be on a high resolution display (1080p and above?)
    3. windows must DEFAULT you to the following setting of 125%

Change Default Console Window Size in Windows Capture183.jpg

The exact problem is that when you are defaulted to 125%, everything is made larger.
    When you drop to 100%, GPU-Z doesnt drop with it.

This same problem used to occur on CPU-Z as well, screenshot for proof

Change Default Console Window Size in Windows Capture181.jpg

We just anyone else with this issue to step forward, w1zzards not going to bother fixing it if its just me.

notes:
    • if you default to 100%, you can change up and down problem free
    • we beleive the default is chosen when you install windows, but we arent sure.

Mussels, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Mussels Win User
    That's it , I've had it with the control panel window

those icons are always in alphabetical order. it resizes to fit based on the window size, so if thats changing, then you're changing the size.

either you're resizing the window before closing it (and therefore, it opens at that size next time) or you have some kind of cleanup program (such as Ccleaner) wiping windows list of window positions and sizes.

by default, windows 7 does not resize your windows on you, OR reorganise the control panels icons in anything but alphabetical order.

Mussels, Oct 26, 2019
  6. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Default Console Window Size in Windows - Similar Threads - Change Default Console

2. Change default window size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default window size: I would like Windows Media Player on Windows 10 to reopen with the same window size it was closed. Currently Windows Media Player always opens with the window size almost maximised fullscreen but not quite, a few millimetres smaller than the screen. This is despite me...
  3. Change Default Text Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Default Text Size in Windows 10: When setting up Windows 10, there is a part where you select the default font size. I made a mistake and set it to "11" rather than the standard "12". I would like to change that setting but am unable to find out where to do that....
  4. How to change Windows Explorer default icon size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change Windows Explorer default icon size?: Similar problem here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-do-i-change-the-default-file-explorer-view-to/4dad9764-dcab-420d-bd4e-99301e037be2 The most common advice is go to View > Folder Options > View tab > Apply to Folders, but that...
  5. Change default font size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default font size in Windows 10: How do I change the font size in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-default-font-size-in-windows-10/e644cabf-1c1a-40b4-8c7a-dadc6abe5595
  6. Change default font size in Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Change default font size in Mail: May have been asked before..but any solution? Thanks 94510
  7. Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows: How to: Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows How to Change Cursor Size for Console Window in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux This tutorial will show you how to...
  8. Changing the default paper size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the default paper size: How do you change the default paper size from letter to A4. ALL the paper I buy in the UK is A4 and the letter size, although only slightly out, throws out my formatting, particularly when I do a mail merge or print a document with a header or footer. Again, Help. 56550
  9. Change default size of newly opened windows?

in Windows 10 Support
    Change default size of newly opened windows?: I was wondering if theres a way to change how and where new apps open? Say i open a new window of My Computer, it automatically opens in a small box in the left side of my screen. I would prefer it automatically open taking up half of the display. Is this possible? 39741
  10. Change Console Window Font and Font Size in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Console Window Font and Font Size in Windows: How to: Change Console Window Font and Font Size in Windows How to Change Console Window Font and Font Size in Windows A console (or "terminal) is an application that provides I/O to character-mode applications. For example: Linux This tutorial will show you how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows default console size