Windows 10: Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by doriandiaconu, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen savers were originally used to save older, monochromatic monitors from damage, but now they are mainly a way to personalize your PC or enhance its security by offering password protection.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable screen saver for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable screen saver.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Screen Saver for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Screen saver enabled and disabled

Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on the Enable screen saver policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Screen Saver
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Screen Saver
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Screen Saver for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

ScreenSaveActive DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Screen Saver for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_screen_saver_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Screen Saver for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_screen_saver_for_all_users.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

doriandiaconu, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Argel Obm Win User

screen saver

Hi Kenneth,

We need to gather more information for us to better understand your Screen Saver concern. Kindly answer the following:

• How did you disable wake up password?
    • Are you seeing the log-in screen when waking up the computer from sleep?
    • How did you set up the Screen Saver? Kindly provide us the step-by-step process on how you did it.

Argel Obm, Oct 27, 2019
  3. screen saver

Hi Jack,

Thank you for using Windows10.

Let us know what happens exactly when you try to set the screen-saver or put the computer to sleep.

I would suggest you to review he settings and check. Here is the steps:

To change Screen Saver:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Screen Saver and click on Change Screen Saver.
    • Select the screensaver from the drop down menu and click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.
    To put the computer in sleep:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Power and click on Power Options.
    • Select Change when the computer sleeps in the left panel.
    Reply with the updated status for further help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows

Screen Saver won't turn off

Hi Bodine,

There may be an issue with the screen saver settings that is why you cannot turn off your screen saver using your mouse or keyboard. To resolve this issue, kindly disable the screen saver, and then re-enable it. To do this, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Choose Personalization.
    • On the left pane, select Lock screen.
    • On the right pane, click Screen saver settings.
    • On the Screen Saver Settings window, click the drop-down menu under
      Screen saver and choose None.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Access the Screen Saver Settings window again.
    • On the Screen Saver Settings window, click the drop-down menu under
      Screen saver and choose the screen saver that you want.
    • Click Apply, and then click OK.
    • Check if you'll be able to turn off the screen saver using your mouse or keyboard.
    After performing the steps above, kindly share with us the result.

Argel Obm, Oct 27, 2019
  5. No password prompt at login screen at screen saver...cannot get back without reboot

Hi,

This issue may occur if the display logon screen option is disabled on the screen saver settings. We suggest that you follow these steps on how to enable the
    display logon screen option:

• On Cortana search, type settings.
    • Choose Settings from the list.
    • Click on Personalization, then select on Lock screen at the left pane.
    • Click on Screen saver settings, then put a tick on the
      On resume, display logon screen
    • Click on Apply, then click on OK.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Gerard Qui, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Blakester489, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Screen

2. Windows screen saver disable itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows screen saver disable itself: I have this problem for 5 years, I have reported it a lot of times, I have formatted 4 times since it first happened and I have it in every system with windows 10 on it.I set up the screen saver because I want the computers to run the screensaver when they are inactive and...
  3. How to Enable or Disable Battery Saver In Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Battery Saver In Windows 10: One of the things that we can not take for granted is our battery life. If you are using a Windows 10 laptop, you may want to use Battery Saver to extend the battery life of your computer. In this article, we are going to see some easy methods to enable or disable Battery...
  4. screen saver disabled

screen saver disabled: I've checked many times screen saver and power settings; screen saver is set to start at 4 minutes idle, and screen is set to turn off at 10 minutes idle while on battery and 15 when connected. I've also tried to check if there is any program that prevents screen saver to...
  5. Windows keep disabling my screen saver

Windows keep disabling my screen saver: Hello, I'm trying to figure out why on earth windows in every machine I own and operate, keep disabling my screen saver. At first I though this happens after windows updates but now it just happened in my workstation. I don't care if modern monitors don't need them, it is...
  6. Multiple Screen, Disable screen saver for only 1?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Screen, Disable screen saver for only 1?: I have 3 screens, is it possible to setup the screen saver to not effect one of the screens? Would like it to remain on but not the other two. Thanks submitted by /u/NearnorthOnline [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 - Disable screen saver on battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 - Disable screen saver on battery: I have been looking through the power settings, screen saver settings, and searching online for any 3rd party utilities, but can't seem to find a solution.. Is there some way for a screen saver to be enabled only when plugged-in? I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1803. I have...
  8. Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC...
  9. Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of...
  10. Energy Saver Mode - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Energy Saver Mode - Enable or Disable in Windows 10: How to: Energy Saver Mode - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Energy Saver Mode in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 introduces a new Energy Saver mode power option to help conserve the battery when the battery level reaches a specified...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. eanble select screensaver picture