Windows 10: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

Discus and support Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by mado86, Apr 24, 2016.

1. mado86 Win User

Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

How to: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen savers were originally used to save older, monochromatic monitors from damage, but now they are mainly a way to personalize your PC or enhance its security by offering password protection.

By default, users are able to check or uncheck the On resume, display logon screen box in their screen saver settings for what they want for screen saver password protection.

If you like, you can set to always enable or disable screen saver password protection for users.

If enabled, the sign in on resume from the screen saver.

If disabled, the sign in on resume from the screen saver.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable screen saver password protection for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable screen saver password protection.

*tip If you enable or disable screen saver password protection, then you may also want to specify a screen saver.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Screen saver password protection default, enabled, and disabled

Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on the Password protect the screen saver policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable), step 6 (disable), or step 7 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Always Enable Screen Saver Password Protection
    A) Select (dot) either Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Screen Saver Password Protection
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Default (user choice) Screen Saver Password Protection
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the string value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

ScreenSaverIsSecure string value

(delete) = Default
    0 = Disable
    1 = Enable

1. Do step 2 (enable), step 3 (disable), or step 4 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Always Enable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Always_enable_screen_saver_password_protection_for_all_users.reg

Download

3. To Disable Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Disable_screen_saver_password_protection_for_all_users.reg

Download

4. Default (user choice) Screen Saver Password Protection for All Users

Default_screen_saver_password_protection_for_all_users.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. You could now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

mado86, Apr 24, 2016
  2. Argel Obm Win User

screen saver

Hi Kenneth,

We need to gather more information for us to better understand your Screen Saver concern. Kindly answer the following:

• How did you disable wake up password?
    • Are you seeing the log-in screen when waking up the computer from sleep?
    • How did you set up the Screen Saver? Kindly provide us the step-by-step process on how you did it.

Argel Obm, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Windows update issue - Disable password from wake and set screen saver.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

This could happen due to incorrect Power settings. You can change the settings by following these steps:

Step 1: Change Power settings.

• Press Windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
    • Change the view by to Large icons at top right corner.
    • Select Power Options and click on change plan settings.
    • Here, you can set the duration to Turn off the display
      and Put the computer to sleep.
    • Click on Save changes.

Step 2: If you wish to disable the password from waking from sleep, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on Control Panel.
    • Change the view by to Large icons at top right corner.
    • Select Power Options and click on Require a password on wakeup.
    • In this window click on Change Setting that are currently unavailable.
    • Click on Don't require a password and click on
      "Save change"
      to apply the changes.

Step 3: To set screen saver on Windows 10.

• Press Windows + X, Select Control Panel
    • Click on the Personalization icon.
    • Go to Lock screen on the left side, and click on the
      Screen saver settings link on the right side at the bottom.
    • Select a screen saver you want in the Screen saver drop down menu.

Hope this helps you. Post back if you need further assistance. We’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

No password prompt at login screen at screen saver...cannot get back without reboot

Hi,

This issue may occur if the display logon screen option is disabled on the screen saver settings. We suggest that you follow these steps on how to enable the
    display logon screen option:

• On Cortana search, type settings.
    • Choose Settings from the list.
    • Click on Personalization, then select on Lock screen at the left pane.
    • Click on Screen saver settings, then put a tick on the
      On resume, display logon screen
    • Click on Apply, then click on OK.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Gerard Qui, Oct 27, 2019
  5. STOP THE NEED FOR PASSWORD ON WAKE UP FROM SCREEN SAVER

And while you are at it, get your keyboard fixed AS IT IS POSTING IN ALL CAPITALS AND WE HAVE TO READ IT.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

"How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows 7 and Windows 8"

Screen Saver Password Protection -Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

"How to Enable or Disable Password Protection on Wakeup in Windows 8 and 8.1"

Password Protection on Wakeup - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

"How to Set to Turn Off the Display after Specified Time in Windows"

This tutorial will show you how to specify how long you are inactive on your PC before your
    display(s) turns off automatically in Vista,
    Windows 7
    , Windows RT, Windows 8, and
    Windows 8.1

Display - Turn Off in Windows

"How to Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 8 and 8.1"

Select how many minutes to wait for the Turn off display and Put the computer to sleep settings, or select
    never if you do not want to use a setting.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5464-power-plan-settings-change-windows-8-a.html

Bill Smithers, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Brink Win User
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10  

I just tested on my system with this below set, and I don't see the lock screen anymore or have to sign in.

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows

1. Enable or Disable Screen Saver Password Protection in Windows - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Screen

2. Windows screen saver disable itself

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows screen saver disable itself: I have this problem for 5 years, I have reported it a lot of times, I have formatted 4 times since it first happened and I have it in every system with windows 10 on it.I set up the screen saver because I want the computers to run the screensaver when they are inactive and...
  3. How to Enable or Disable Battery Saver In Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Battery Saver In Windows 10: One of the things that we can not take for granted is our battery life. If you are using a Windows 10 laptop, you may want to use Battery Saver to extend the battery life of your computer. In this article, we are going to see some easy methods to enable or disable Battery...
  4. screen saver disabled

in Windows 10 Customization
    screen saver disabled: I've checked many times screen saver and power settings; screen saver is set to start at 4 minutes idle, and screen is set to turn off at 10 minutes idle while on battery and 15 when connected. I've also tried to check if there is any program that prevents screen saver to...
  5. Enable / disable password at :

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Enable / disable password at :: Hi there *Cool I am busy making several scripts into an autohotkey menu (gui) currently i am @ the network section *Tongue With the .regs i overcome alot of hurdles, but the one i am lost to is the change of this radio button : Password protected sharing in the network...
  6. Virus protection disabled, can't be enabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus protection disabled, can't be enabled: I keep getting a system tray icon with a warning, and when I click on it, it says the definitions are out of date. Updating doesn't help. Not only that, but even though all looks fine on the security screen of it, clicking on it, it shows all is disabled and can't be...
  7. Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows How to Enable or Disable Screen Saver in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait....
  8. Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows How to Enable or Disable Changing Screen Saver in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of...
  9. Enable or Disable Disk Write Protection in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Disk Write Protection in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Disk Write Protection in Windows How to Enable or Disable Write Protection for a Disk Drive in Windows Write protection (read-only) on a disk prevents the contents on the disk from being changed. There are many reasons for how a disk is...
  10. Energy Saver Mode - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Energy Saver Mode - Enable or Disable in Windows 10: How to: Energy Saver Mode - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Energy Saver Mode in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 introduces a new Energy Saver mode power option to help conserve the battery when the battery level reaches a specified...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. password protect screen saver windows 10