Windows 10: Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows

Discus and support Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows How to Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by imacken, Jun 17, 2016.

1. imacken Win User

Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows

How to: Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows

How to Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen savers were originally used to save older, monochromatic monitors from damage, but now they are mainly a way to personalize your PC or enhance its security by offering password protection.

By default, users are able to set in their screen saver settings how many minutes to wait while inactive before the screen saver is launched.

If you like, you can specify for users how much user idle time must elapse before the screen saver is launched.

If specified, users will not be able to change the wait timeout in their screen saver settings.

This tutorial will show you how to specify a screen saver timeout period for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to specify a screen saver timeout.

*tip If you specify a screen saver timeout period, you may also want to specify a screen saver.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Specify Screen Saver Timeout for All Users in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Default and specified screen saver timeout

Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on the Screen saver timeout policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (specify) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Specify Screen Saver Timeout
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, enter the number of seconds you want to wait to enable the screen saver in Options, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note If you enter 0 (zero), the screen saver will never be started and effectively disables screen saver.

6. Default Screen Saver Timeout
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Specify Screen Saver Timeout for All Users in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the ScreenSaveTimeOut REG_SZ (string) value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you wanted to use the default screen saver timeout for users to set for themselves, you would want to delete the ScreenSaveTimeOut value (if there) instead, and go to step 5 below.

*note If you do not have a ScreenSaveTimeOut REG_SZ (string) value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Desktop key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type ScreenSaveTimeOut for the name, and press Enter.

4. Enter the number of seconds you want to wait to enable the screen saver, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If you enter 0 (zero), the screen saver will never be started and effectively disables screen saver.

5. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

6. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the ScreenSaveTimeOut REG_SZ (string) value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you wanted to use the default screen saver timeout for users to set for themselves, you would want to delete the ScreenSaveTimeOut value (if there) instead, and go to step 8 below.

*note If you do not have a ScreenSaveTimeOut REG_SZ (string) value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Desktop key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type ScreenSaveTimeOut for the name, and press Enter.

7. Enter the same number of seconds from step 4, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

imacken, Jun 17, 2016

2. When will the Screen Saver and timeout functionality be operational in W10.

I have not had the Screen Saver or Timeout functionality available since I upgraded to WIN10 last year.

I tried all 3 Methods that were suggested and my screen saver and Timeout STILL do not work.

I can Timeout by pressing the Moon button on my new HP Keyboard.

I have an HP Pavilion 23 desktop computer.

Dave.Robinson16, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Screen saver not following settings

Hi Jim,

To help you set your screen configuration properly, kindly follow these steps:

• Press Windows + I.
    • Under Personalization, select Lock screen.
    • Go to Screen timeout settings.
    • Set your desired screen saver timeout duration under the Screen
      option.

Keep us posted.

Dennis Mop, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

screen saver

Hi Amir,

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. You can follow the steps below to change the screensaver on your Windows 10 laptop:

• Press Windows key.
    • Click on Settings > Personalization > Lock
      screen
      > Screen saver settings.
    • You can choose the Screen saver that you want in the Screen Saver Settings
      window.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  5. screen saver

Hi Jack,

Thank you for using Windows10.

Let us know what happens exactly when you try to set the screen-saver or put the computer to sleep.

I would suggest you to review he settings and check. Here is the steps:

To change Screen Saver:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Screen Saver and click on Change Screen Saver.
    • Select the screensaver from the drop down menu and click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.
    To put the computer in sleep:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Power and click on Power Options.
    • Select Change when the computer sleeps in the left panel.
    Reply with the updated status for further help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Arul_D Win User
    How to change the Screen Timeout settings

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on the desktop and click on Personalization.

• Click on Lock screen

• On the bottom of the screen click on Screen Timeout.

• Under screen select the Time period accordingly.
    Reply us back with the status of this issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows - Similar Threads - Specify Screen Saver

2. Lock Screen/Screen Timeout/Screen Saver Ignore Settings - Fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen/Screen Timeout/Screen Saver Ignore Settings - Fix?: Windows 11 - Lenovo Thinkpad - All on the latest software releaseLock Screen and sleep are set to kick in after 15 minutes on battery and plugged in the power & battery settings.Screen saver revolving "windows" is set to kick in after 5 minutes - the option to have to log in...
  3. Lock Screen/Screen Timeout/Screen Saver Ignore Settings - Fix?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock Screen/Screen Timeout/Screen Saver Ignore Settings - Fix?: Windows 11 - Lenovo Thinkpad - All on the latest software releaseLock Screen and sleep are set to kick in after 15 minutes on battery and plugged in the power & battery settings.Screen saver revolving "windows" is set to kick in after 5 minutes - the option to have to log in...
  4. Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.: Just as it says - my screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working. I use a screen saver so I don't get burn-in on my rather expensive monitor, but also don't want to just "display off" because that doesn't force a login to resume so that my 3-year-old, who likes...
  5. Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.: Just as it says - my screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working. I use a screen saver so I don't get burn-in on my rather expensive monitor, but also don't want to just "display off" because that doesn't force a login to resume so that my 3-year-old, who likes...
  6. Win10 - screen saver and display timeout suddenly stopped working.

7. Screen Timeout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Timeout: Set my screen timeout setting to never but it continues to return to login screen when not in use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/922a0121-8016-481f-9e30-2d1706bfea99
  8. Screen Timeout

Screen Timeout: Set my screen timeout setting to never but it continues to return to login screen when not in use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-timeout/922a0121-8016-481f-9e30-2d1706bfea99
  9. set screen saver and turn off timeout for several displays in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    set screen saver and turn off timeout for several displays in Windows 10: I use dual monitor, Extend screen. When I'm working on one monitor the other one is idle, so it should go to screen saver or turn off In order not to be harmed. How can I set screen saver or screen turn off timeout for each monitor separately....
  10. Specify Screen Saver in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Screen Saver in Windows: How to: Specify Screen Saver in Windows How to Specify a Screen Saver in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen savers were...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ScreenSaveTimeOut REG_SZ (string)