Windows 10: Specify Screen Saver in Windows

Discus and support Specify Screen Saver in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Specify Screen Saver in Windows How to Specify a Screen Saver in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Mr905, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Mr905 Win User

Specify Screen Saver in Windows

How to: Specify Screen Saver in Windows

How to Specify a Screen Saver in Windows

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen savers were originally used to save older, monochromatic monitors from damage, but now they are mainly a way to personalize your PC or enhance its security by offering password protection.

By default, users are able to select a screen saver in their screen saver settings.

If you like, you can specify a default screen saver for users that cannot be changed.

This tutorial will show you how to specify a default screen saver for specific or all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to specify a screen saver.

*tip If you specify a screen saver, you may also want to specify a screen saver timeout period for users.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Specify Screen Saver in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Specify Screen Saver for All Users in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Default and specified screen saver

Specify Screen Saver in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Specify Screen Saver in Local Group Policy Editor

*note In Windows 7, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 8, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

In Windows 10, the Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two.

1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and Personalization. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on the Force specific screen saver policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (specify) or step 6 (default) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Specify Screen Saver
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, enter the .scr file name (ex: "Ribbons.scr") of the screen saver you want to specify in Options, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshots below)

*note If the screen saver .scr file is not located in the "C:\Windows\System32" directory, you will need to type the full path to the .scr file instead.

6. Default Screen Saver
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Specify Screen Saver for All Users in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

3. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the SCRNSAVE.EXE REG_SZ (string) value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you wanted to use the default screen saver setting for users to select for themselves, you would want to delete the SCRNSAVE.EXE value (if there) instead, and go to step 5 below.

*note If you do not have a SCRNSAVE.EXE REG_SZ (string) value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Desktop key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type SCRNSAVE.EXE for the name, and press Enter.

4. Enter the .scr file name (ex: "Ribbons.scr") of the screen saver you want to specify, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If the screen saver .scr file is not located in the "C:\Windows\System32" directory, you will need to type the full path to the .scr file instead.

5. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop

6. In the right pane of the Desktop key, double click/tap on the SCRNSAVE.EXE REG_SZ (string) value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

*note If you wanted to use the default screen saver setting for users to select for themselves, you would want to delete the SCRNSAVE.EXE value (if there) instead, and go to step 8 below.

*note If you do not have a SCRNSAVE.EXE REG_SZ (string) value, then right click or press and hold on an empty area in the right pane of the Desktop key, click/tap on New, click/tap on String Value, type SCRNSAVE.EXE for the name, and press Enter.

7. Enter the same screen saver from step 4, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Mr905, Jul 4, 2016
  2. Eric Ber Win User

screen saver

Hi Amir,

A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. You can follow the steps below to change the screensaver on your Windows 10 laptop:

• Press Windows key.
    • Click on Settings > Personalization > Lock
      screen
      > Screen saver settings.
    • You can choose the Screen saver that you want in the Screen Saver Settings
      window.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Oct 27, 2019
  3. screen saver

Hi Jack,

Thank you for using Windows10.

Let us know what happens exactly when you try to set the screen-saver or put the computer to sleep.

I would suggest you to review he settings and check. Here is the steps:

To change Screen Saver:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Screen Saver and click on Change Screen Saver.
    • Select the screensaver from the drop down menu and click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.
    To put the computer in sleep:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Power and click on Power Options.
    • Select Change when the computer sleeps in the left panel.
    Reply with the updated status for further help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Screen Saver/Desktop/Screen Saver

Hi Jim,

The issue you encountered with screen saver can be due to incorrect screen saver settings. To better isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Have you tried changing the screen saver settings?
    • Are you trying to off the the screen saver?

Meanwhile, you can follow these steps to turn off your screen saver:

• Open Settings and Select Personalization.
    • Click Lock screen, scroll down and choose Screen saver settings.
    • Choose None in the drop-down menu.
    • Select Apply.
    • Click OK.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Oct 27, 2019
  5. ReneSmith Win User
    windows 10 screen saver shortcut

I just found a small freeware program called Saver Starter (Saver Starter by Brian Apps) that:

• Allows a screen saver to be started by moving the mouse over a specified corner of the screen.
    • Prevents a screen saver from starting when the mouse is in a different specified corner of a screen.
    • Starts the current screen saver quickly.
    • Gives easy access to the screen saver configuration settings.
    One of the things I missed about using a Macintosh was the ability to just put the cursor in a corner of the screen and the current screen saver would start immediately. This freeware program does that, and more!

ReneSmith, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Argel Obm Win User
    screen saver

Hi Kenneth,

We need to gather more information for us to better understand your Screen Saver concern. Kindly answer the following:

• How did you disable wake up password?
    • Are you seeing the log-in screen when waking up the computer from sleep?
    • How did you set up the Screen Saver? Kindly provide us the step-by-step process on how you did it.

Argel Obm, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Specify Screen Saver in Windows - Similar Threads - Specify Screen Saver

2. screen saver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    screen saver: trying to open screen saver I installed shockwave still get this notice?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver/c73a81bb-d9a3-49eb-8d0d-1ab87235b109
  3. Screen saver

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen saver: Whatever I do to Settings I've suddenly found it impossible to get a screen saver. Any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver/f2fe8145-4578-471a-875b-75234a993fb1
  4. screen saver

screen saver: I want to put a different screen saver from Major Geeks how do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver/9aff87bc-cecb-4e68-8a23-d529bfb4c57c
  5. Screen Saver

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Screen Saver: Hello, Please I use two monitors, how do I make my screen saver pictures display on both monitors instead of just one? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver/37f95b40-934c-4c9d-833c-09e187d32f33
  6. Screen Saver

Screen Saver: I set up my screen saver on new Windows 10 computer. Worked the first few days, but I think since I changed the wait time, all I get is a dark screen, and I have to hit the power button on the tower to wake up the computer. How can I get it to work again ?...
  7. Screen Saver

Screen Saver: I have Windows 10. In the Screen Saver I have selected Photos. How do I get the slide title to display when viewing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver/33ee39e0-fbe6-4ab3-be21-9b6961e665c9
  8. Screen saver

Screen saver: Hello, After the last upgrade in January I can't get my screen savers to work. Can someone tell me how to fix this please? Thank you, Maria https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver/6ca24ca8-aafb-48e9-9f78-0832dbbc5e48
  9. Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows: How to: Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows How to Specify Screen Saver Timeout in Windows A screen saver is a moving picture or pattern that displays on the screen(s) of your PC after you have not been active on the PC for specified period of time to wait. Screen...
  10. No screen saver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No screen saver: I upgraded to Win10 Home yesterday and I cannot get the screensaver to do anything. It never starts no matter which one I use or what time I set it for. 13068