Windows 10: Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10

Discus and support Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10 How to Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10 Windows includes a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by turbocomppro, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10

How to: Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10

How to Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10

Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to find, see, open, and switch between your apps. You can also see the specify how taskbar buttons group together when you have more than one window open.

If you have more than one display connected to your PC, then you will be able to hide or show the taskbar on all displays.

The main taskbar is the taskbar with the clock and notification area on it, and is on your main display by default unless you move the main taskbar to another display. The other taskbars are the ones that show on the other displays that are not set as your main display. These taskbars do not have the clock and notification areas on them.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14328, if you have multiple monitors and your taskbar set to show on all displays, the clock will now be visible on each taskbar.

You can select to show taskbar buttons on all taskbars, main taskbar and taskbar where window is open, or taskbar where window is open. Apps pinned to the taskbar will always have their buttons show on the main taskbar.

This tutorial will show how to hide or show the taskbar and taskbar buttons on multiple displays for only your user account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Settings
    • Option Two: Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: Show taskbar on all displays

Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off to Auto-hide Taskbar in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

2. Do step 3 (on) or step 4 (off) below for what you would like to do.

3. To Turn On Show Taskbar on All Displays
    A) Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, and turn on Show taskbar on all displays under the Multiple displays section on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Under Show taskbar buttons on, select how you want taskbar buttons to show.

All taskbars - The buttons for all of your open windows will show on all taskbars on each display. This is the default setting.
    Main taskbar and taskbar where window is open - This setting shows a button on the taskbar on your main display and also only on the taskbar on the display where the window is open.
    Taskbar where window is open - This setting only shows a button on the taskbar on the display where the window is open. Apps pinned to the taskbar will always have their buttons show on the main taskbar.

C) You may also like to set Buttons on other taskbars to combine or never combine.
    How to Always, Sometimes, or Never Combine Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10
    D) Go to step 5 below.

4. To Turn Off Show Taskbar on All Displays
    A) Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, turn off Show taskbar on all displays under the Multiple displays section on the right side, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays using a BAT file

*note The .bat files below are for the registry key and values below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

MMTaskbarEnabled DWORD

0 = Don't show taskbar on multiple displays
    1 = Show taskbar on multiple displays

MMTaskbarMode DWORD

0 = Show taskbar buttons on all taskbars
    1 = Show taskbar buttons on main taskbar and taskbar where window is open
    2 = Show taskbar buttons on taskbar where window is open

1. Do step 2, step 3, step 4, or step 5 below for what you would like to do.

2. Don't show taskbar on all displays (only main display)
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 6 below.

Don't_Show_Taskbar_on_All_Displays.bat

Download
    3. Show taskbar on all displays, and show buttons on all taskbars
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, and go to step 6 below.

Show_Taskbar_Buttons_on_All_Taskbars.bat

Download
    4. Show taskbar on all displays, and buttons on main taskbar and taskbar where window is open

Show_Taskbar_Buttons_on_Main_taskbar_and_taskbar_where_window_is_open.bat

Download
    5. Show taskbar on all displays, and buttons on taskbar where window is open

Show_Taskbar_Buttons_on_Taskbar_where_window_is_open.bat

Download
    6. Save the .bat file to your desktop.

7. Unblock the .bat file, and double click/tap on the .bat file to run it.

8. You will now notice your screen flicker as explorer is restarted to apply the settings.

9. If set to show, then you may also like to have "Buttons on other taskbars" to combine or never combine.

How to Always, Sometimes, or Never Combine Taskbar Buttons in Windows 10

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

turbocomppro, Aug 22, 2016
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 22, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 22, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10

Hello turbocomppro, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You are using an older build of Windows 10. The option in the tutorial is only available starting with build 14271. You'll need to check for updates in Windows Update to install the latest build.

Brink, Aug 22, 2016
  5. I checked my windows update and it says my device is up to date... I think something is messed up...

EDIT ADD: Ok I think I see what's going on. I have the latest RTM version while your guide is for the Insider Preview version. Sorry my mistake that I didn't notice there were 2 versions out there.

turbocomppro, Aug 23, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 23, 2016
  7. Hmm.. just checked. defer upgrades was not checked and updates setting is set to automatic. I "Check for Updates" again and it still says I'm up to date.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 23, 2016
  9. This is my main PC so I prefer stability over "features." I'll give it a try on my HTPC though. Thanks for the info.

10. swarfega Win User
    If I select Taskbar where Window is open or main taskbar and taskbar where window is open, I am unable to pin shortcuts.

swarfega, Feb 25, 2018
  11. Edwin New Member
    You can only pin Icons to your Main Display.

Edwin, Feb 25, 2018
  12. swarfega Win User
    Is there a reason for that rule? I think its a shame you cant pin on other displays.

swarfega, Feb 25, 2018
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey Nick, *Smile

Unfortunately, you will only be able to if you have "All taskbars" selected instead.

Brink, Feb 25, 2018
  14. swarfega Win User
    Yea I noticed, to me it looks messy. The only way I can do it is with third party programs like DisplayFusion.

swarfega, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hide or Show Taskbar on Multiple Displays in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hide Show Taskbar

2. Multiple displays and Taskbars - Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple displays and Taskbars - Windows: I have searched for an answer to this issue and the same advice gets churned out. I have tried updating the setup and nothing resolves this so am hoping someone can advise the correct resolution and not refer me to how my monitors are set up. I have attached screenshots.I...
  3. Multiple displays and Taskbars - Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple displays and Taskbars - Windows: I have searched for an answer to this issue and the same advice gets churned out. I have tried updating the setup and nothing resolves this so am hoping someone can advise the correct resolution and not refer me to how my monitors are set up. I have attached screenshots.I...
  4. Multiple displays and Taskbars - Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Shortcut for hiding/showing the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut for hiding/showing the taskbar: All of a sudden, but actually after a Powertoys update to version v0.56.2 on my Windows 10 Pro notebook, the shortcut CTRL+ALT+P shows/hides the taskbar.I have never set that shortcut for the action. I have read the list of windows shortcuts...
  6. Shortcut for hiding/showing the taskbar

Shortcut for hiding/showing the taskbar: All of a sudden, but actually after a Powertoys update to version v0.56.2 on my Windows 10 Pro notebook, the shortcut CTRL+ALT+P shows/hides the taskbar.I have never set that shortcut for the action. I have read the list of windows shortcuts...
  7. Multiple Display Taskbar

Multiple Display Taskbar: I have this problem where it won't let me turn on taskbar for multiple displays, I have searched for a way to fix this, but I have not found anything. I have also tried using display fusion, but you need to pay for pro to get the multiple monitor taskbar....
  8. Taskbars on Multiple Displays

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbars on Multiple Displays: One thing that has always annoyed me with Windows 10 is the way that if you have two or more displays, the taskbar on the secondary displays is not the same as the primary display. On secondary displays you are not allowed to add Toolbars to the taskbar. This is a real pain...
  9. taskbars on multiple displays

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    taskbars on multiple displays: i just decided to hook up my old 4:3 display up to my laptop and since i decided to line them up better by putting the 4:3 above the original display and my setup is jank as hell so i can't raise it higher, the taskbar is blocked by the bottom display, so i was wondering if...
  10. Taskbar and multiple displays.

Taskbar and multiple displays.: I have three monitors and I have no problem duplicating the main taskbar on all of them. The problem is, I am using the "quick launch" toolbar. Unfortunately, it does not appear on secondary monitors and there is no option to add a toolbar. The popup menu is not the same and...