Windows 10: Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Auto-hide the Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by OliverPedro, May 27, 2017.

1. Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Auto-hide the Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information By default, the taskbar is located at the bottom of your screen(s) in Windows. You can set to auto-hide the taskbar to create more space. If you don't see the taskbar anywhere on the screen, it might be hidden.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to auto-hide the taskbar in desktop mode for your account in Windows 10.

Note To Show Taskbar when Hidden:
    • Hover pointer on border of taskbar location.
    • Press the Win+T keys.
    • On a touchscreen, swipe inwards from the border where the taskbar is located. Swiping inward from the left border will still open action center instead.
    • Starting with only auto-hide the taskbar in tablet mode.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Taskbar

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Personalization icon.

Note You can also right click or press and hold on the taskbar, and click/tap on Taskbar settings.

2. Click/tap on Taskbar on the left side, and turn On or Off (default) Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode on the right side. (see screenshot below)

3. You can now close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In Registry Editor, browse to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects3

4. In the right pane of the StruckRects3 key, double click/tap on the Settings binary value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

5. Do step 6 (off) or step 7 (on) below for what you would like to do..

6. To Turn Off Auto-hide the Taskbar
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Change the value highlighted in yellow below to 02, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Turn On Auto-hide the Taskbar
    A) Change the value highlighted in yellow below to 03, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. Close Registry Editor.

9. Either sign out and sign in to apply.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

OliverPedro, May 27, 2017
  2. Kyah Pembaryah, May 27, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, May 27, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10

Hello Oliver, *Smile

If you like, you could create a couple of .bat files or .reg file to make it easy to toggle this on/off, and restart explorer afterward to apply.

Brink, May 28, 2017
  5. do you mean "me"?
    I'm afraid I don't know how to create that

OliverPedro, May 28, 2017
  6. You could use TranslucentTB to make taskbar transparent, which is sort of a trade off of both options.

TairikuOkami, May 28, 2017
  7. Thanks
    I applied it, but that's not what I'm looking for
    I'm looking for a way to easily hide/unhide the taskbar but expanding the visible screen (not keeping the taskbar space "empty" when it is hidden -for my purpose that would be useless-)

by the way how can I reverse what that program did? it did change the color of my taskbar and I don't want that

8. Tony K Win User

Hi there. I think the best you'll do without hack or 3rd party is auto hide the Taskbar and use WinKey/T to see it and then Alt/Tab to hide it again.

Escape used to work in previous OSs, but changed in 10. Esc will rid the thumbnails seen here, though.

Tony K, May 28, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Using Option One from the taskbar to Settings would probably be the easiest way to toggle this on/off though.

Brink, May 28, 2017
  10. I don't care to use a 3rd party program as long as it does what I'm looking for which is to be able to have always the taskbar visible and when I need to get more space at the screen to press a hotkey so that I can also take advantage of the space now used by the taskbar and then be able to press again to come back at the normal way

I guess I'm not the first one interested in that.

The programs I found (or autohotkey scripts) where keeping blank the space and won't help me since my desire is to hide the taskbar only if I can make use of that area to further visibility

thanks

11. @Brink

quite awkward to use when working with graphics and interested in expanding visibility quite frequently

is there an automate way to fulfill "option one"?

12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @OliverPedro,

If you like, export your StuckRects3 key as a .reg file, and upload it here. I'll be happy to create some .bat files for you that you can use to toggle this on/off.

I didn't include this in the tutorial since the Settings value in the StuckRects3 key includes more settings than just this one.

Brink, May 28, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

@OliverPedro,

If you like, here are some .bat files with my default settings that you can use to toggle on/off auto-hide taskbar in desktop mode.

Turn_ON_auto-hide_taskbar.bat

Turn_OFF_auto-hide_taskbar.bat

Brink, May 28, 2017
  14. great!

BTW is there a way to avoid the message that Windows Defender SmartScreen prevents this app?

Second question: since this is affecting the Reg, could I have problems if I use it frequently? (cautious question)

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Desktop Mode in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Auto

2. Windows "automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" keeps turning on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows "automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" keeps turning on: Two days ago I clicked something on my keyboard and my taskbar dissapeared, I managed to find the solution the "automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode" option was turned on in the settings. But now even if I tun it back off it keeps turning on every time I turn on my...
  3. Auto-Hide taskbar turns itself on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto-Hide taskbar turns itself on: After ticking off the box it just turns itself back on. How do I keep the taskbar not hidden? submitted by /u/Epiqur [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/wckm92/autohide_taskbar_turns_itself_on/
  4. Automatically Hide the Taskbar in Desktop Mode Will Not Turn Off.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatically Hide the Taskbar in Desktop Mode Will Not Turn Off.: I know this initially sounds like an obvious question, as I know I should just hit lock the taskbar but unfortunately, this does not work. When I enable lock the taskbar, it appears when no application is maximized then disappears when an application, like Settings or Chrome,...
  5. Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off: Split from this thread.I am having the opposite problem. I have turned off the auto-hide feature of the taskbar SEVERAL times. Every time the computer goes to sleep or reboots, the function turns itself back on in the settings....
  6. Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off: Split from this thread.I am having the opposite problem. I have turned off the auto-hide feature of the taskbar SEVERAL times. Every time the computer goes to sleep or reboots, the function turns itself back on in the settings....
  7. Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off: I switched to Windows 11 a few weeks ago, and ever since then, the taskbar auto-hide quits working when the computer comes out of Sleep mode. I have to be away from the computer for a while before it will happen, and I believe it has something to do with me running dual...
  8. Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 11 taskbar auto-hide turning off: I switched to Windows 11 a few weeks ago, and ever since then, the taskbar auto-hide quits working when the computer comes out of Sleep mode. I have to be away from the computer for a while before it will happen, and I believe it has something to do with me running dual...
  9. Auto hide the taskbar in Desktop Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto hide the taskbar in Desktop Mode: I have a Surface Book 2 and I set Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode to On in Settings ->Taskbar, but it reverts itself to Off. Is there a permanent fix to this?...
  10. Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Tablet Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Tablet Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Auto-hide Taskbar in Tablet Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Auto-hide the Taskbar in Tablet Mode in Windows 10 [img] Information Tablet mode makes Windows easier and more intuitive to use with touch on devices like 2-in-1s, or when you...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 autohide toolbar keeps turning off

2. how to turn off autohide windows 10