Windows 10: Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10 How to Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10 [img] Information OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Fafhrd, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10

How to: Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10

How to Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10

Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service that comes with your Microsoft account. OneDrive is integrated into Windows 10 where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to OneDrive from any PC, tablet, or phone.

Once you chosen files and folders with your PC.

Files you save to OneDrive are available online at OneDrive.com and offline on your PC. That means you can use them anytime, even when you're not connected to the Internet. When you reconnect, OneDrive updates the online versions with changes you made offline.

Offline files come in handy when you're stuck without an Internet connection, but they also take up space on your PC. If you're running low on storage space, you can choose OneDrive folders to sync.

If OneDrive sync seems to be stuck for a long time and nothing else is working, try a reset. Be aware that resetting OneDrive re-syncs all your OneDrive files, which could take some time depending on how many files you’re syncing.

This tutorial will show you how to reset OneDrive sync for your account in Windows 10.

Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, enter the command below into Run, and click/tap on OK.
    *Arrow %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
    2. The OneDrive icon in the notification area of the taskbar should now disappear. (see screenshots below)

3. The OneDrive icon should automatically re-appear after a minute or two, and start re-syncing all your OneDrive files. (see screenshot below)

Note You might need to click the Show hidden icons
    arrow next to the notification area to see the OneDrive icon.

If the OneDrive icon doesn’t re-appear after a few minutes, open Run (Win+R) again, enter %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe, and click/tap on OK.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Fafhrd, Sep 1, 2017

2. Windows 10 Mobile Onedrive app keeps crashing when I try to open it

My phone was reset at service and I got issues With OneDrive where Pictures do not sync and the app Closes just as I open it. I tried resetting, but the reset button is greyed out, the same goes for uninstall and move. According
    to the Store app, all my apps are updated.

So, I can't start OneDrive, and I can't sync my Pictures.

Windows 10 mobile

Serpentbane, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Lost "Documents" folder on both My Pc and OneDrive while receiving updates for Windows 10

Hi,

Please write to us with the following detail.

Are you able to see your data on your OneDrive account online?

I suggest you to you to follow the steps given below for Windows 10 and check if it help you.

Fix OneDrive sync problems with Windows 10, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Fix OneDrive sync problems

If the issue still persists I suggest you to reset OneDrive and check if it helps you. You can follow the steps given below to reset OneDrive.

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run
    Window.

2. In the Run
    Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.

4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

After reset it done, right click on OneDrive icon present on the System Tray and click on Settings, then click on Chose Folder and make sure that all the folder which you want to sync must be checked.

Let us know if you need more help from us.

PranavMishra5582, Sep 1, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Chris, *Smile

If you have build 16215 or later installed, you will be able to tell which files are "online-only", "locally available", or "always keep on this device". The info at the top of the tutorial below will give more about this.

Turn On or Off OneDrive Files On-Demand in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Otherwise, you could go back to choose which folders to sync with OneDrive, and remove the ones you don't want. To be safe, I would copy the files to another location until you are sure they are still on your online OneDrive instead of PC.

Choose Folders for OneDrive Selective Sync in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Well, Shawn, I found myself going around in circles. Nothing seemed to stick on the insider machine Build version 16257, so I eventually turned off OneDrive, uninstalled the 2 OneDrive apps on *Start and then tried to delete all the files in the OneDrive folder in my User folder that were taking up ~10GB of disk space, but something was preventing this:

After attending to deleting the folders and files that could be removed I was left with one file, an internet shortcut to OneNote Online:

I removed inheritance and changed permissions on the file so I am the single owner, but I still cannot delete the file, and thus the /OneDrive/Documents folder remains.

Settings/Storage still seems to think that OneDrive is still full, although File Explorer reports the expected free space on the drive. Signing out and on again fixed Settings/Storage, but not the indelible file.

Any ideas how the corrupted metadata can be purged?

Fafhrd, Sep 5, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    1) try deleting folder from safe mode

2) try deleting it from a winpe session (macrium reflect boot drive is good for this)

3) try deleting it from a live linux drive

If you have files on demand set, I found it was easier to tell from a command line if files are only on cloud or on pc and cloud.

Where size is in brackets, file is only in cloud - see extract below

Also, as an aside, rather than copying files to a onedrive sub-folder, a neat trick is to use junction links e.g.

mklink /j c:\onedrive\yourname\onedrive\pics c:\users\mw\pictures

This sets up a dummy folder called pics in onedrive but actually points to pictures folder. Then if you add a file to pictures, it is synced to cloud automatically. This saves hassle of having to copy files from pictures to a real onedrive folder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir c:\users\mw\onedrive\assets
    Volume in drive C is 10 Pro
    Volume Serial Number is 8BB5-2CD0

Directory of c:\users\mw\onedrive\assets

02/09/2017 07:21 <DIR> .
    02/09/2017 07:21 <DIR> ..
    30/03/2017 17:06 (4,317) autounattend.xml
    01/04/2017 12:24 (1,236) MWtheme.deskthemepack
    30/03/2017 18:06 16,198 oemlogo.bmp
    02/09/2017 07:21 <DIR> Pictures
    09/04/2017 09:23 (50,185) PSWindowsUpdate.zip
    30/03/2017 18:02 (79) runonce.bat
    26/08/2017 10:59 1,445,662 Screen_2017_08_26_10_58_54.wmv
    30/03/2017 18:18 (2,484) unattend.xml
    7 File(s) 1,520,161 bytes
    3 Dir(s) 195,220,467,712 bytes free

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reset OneDrive Sync in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset OneDrive Sync

2. OneDrive sync after profile reset

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive sync after profile reset: When a users local profile has been reset. When they log back in all of their files are gone - to be expected. Is it possible to configure OneDrive to then sync back down the files/folders for said user? Is this a manual process to copy data from the old profile to the newly...
  3. OneDrive sync after profile reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive sync after profile reset: When a users local profile has been reset. When they log back in all of their files are gone - to be expected. Is it possible to configure OneDrive to then sync back down the files/folders for said user? Is this a manual process to copy data from the old profile to the newly...
  4. OneDrive sync after profile reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive Sync

OneDrive Sync: I have always been confused about the file structure and display around OD on my computer.In the beginning, I only had a Documents folder Well more, of course, but this is where my confusion arises. I jumped right onto OD. So, I started with:C:\Me\DocumentsAfter setting up...
  6. Onedrive syncing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive syncing: Hi,is it possible to stop OneDrive syncing? and I don't mean just pause it. I don't want to uninstall or anything, I'd just like to know if possible and if so how.Richard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-syncing/457dd1b9-5708-43a1-b666-6637547708fc
  7. Onedrive syncing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Onedrive syncing: Hi,is it possible to stop OneDrive syncing? and I don't mean just pause it. I don't want to uninstall or anything, I'd just like to know if possible and if so how.Richard. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-syncing/457dd1b9-5708-43a1-b666-6637547708fc
  8. onedrive sync

onedrive sync: How can I stop OneDrive pictures syncing with PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-sync/609276a8-0ef7-4391-aa9e-801e4fe1f1ff"
  9. OneDrive Sync

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Sync: Hello Good People, Despite looking around, I don't understand how the sync works. First, is there a master, so to speak. ie does the cloud version mimic the PC files. ie if there is a file on my PC and not on the cloud, will the cloud get updated? An then, if a file gets...
  10. Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10: How to: Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10 How to Pause Syncing in OneDrive in Windows 10 OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service that comes with your Microsoft account. OneDrive is integrated into Windows 10 where you can view, browse, upload, and share the...