Windows 10: Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10

Discus and support Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add a OneDrive Open or Close Context Menu in Windows 10 OneDrive is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 5, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10

How to: Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10

How to Add a OneDrive Open or Close Context Menu in Windows 10

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service where you can view, browse, upload, and share the files you saved online to OneDrive.

By default, choose to sync in OneDrive on your PC is automatically kept in sync with your online OneDrive.

This tutorial will show you how to add a 'Open/Close OneDrive' desktop context menu that will allow users to quickly toggle to open and close OneDrive for syncing as needed in Windows 10. This can be handy if there are times you do not want OneDrive on your PC to sync until you open OneDrive next.

While you must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove the context menu, all users on the PC will be able to use the context menu.

How does the context menu work?

When you right click or press and hold on your desktop and click/tap on the Open/Close OneDrive context menu, it will check to see if the OneDrive.exe process is currently running or not.

If the OneDrive.exe process is running, then the process will be killed (end task) to close OneDrive and stop syncing with your online OneDrive. You will get the notification below to let you know that OneDrive is now closed. (If you have OneDrive set to start when you sign in to Windows, then OneDrive will automatically start again after you sign in to Windows next.)

Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10 [​IMG]

If the OneDrive.exe process is not running, then it will be started to open and run OneDrive to start syncing with your online OneDrive. OneDrive will open, and you will get the notification below to let you know that OneDrive is now running.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add 'Open/Close OneDrive" to Desktop Context Menu
    • Option Two: Remove 'Open/Close OneDrive" from Desktop Context Menu

EXAMPLE: 'Open/Close OneDrive' desktop context menu

OPTION ONE [/i] Add 'Open/Close OneDrive" to Desktop Context Menu
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Add_Open-Close_OneDrive_Context_Menu.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop, and unblock the .zip file.

3. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the contents to your desktop.

4. Move the extracted Toggle_OneDrive.vbs file from step 3 above into the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If prompted, click/tap on Continue and Yes (UAC) to approve.

*note This .vbs file is what the context menu uses to perform the needed actions. The .vbs file will need to stay in the C:\Windows folder for the context menu to work.
    5. Double click/tap on the extracted Add_Open-Close_OneDrive_to_Context_Menu.reg file from step 3 above to merge it.

*note This .reg file is what adds the desktop context menu for all users.

This .reg file references the .vbs file in step 4 above in the C:\Windows folder. If your Windows folder is not on the usual C: drive, then please post a reply to let me know what drive letter you have instead. I'll post a custom .reg file for you to use instead for your drive letter.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the left over downloaded files on your desktop.

OPTION TWO [/i] Remove 'Open/Close OneDrive" from Desktop Context Menu
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .reg file below.
    Remove_Open-Close_OneDrive_from_Context_Menu.reg

Download
    2. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

3. Double click/tap on the .reg file to merge it.

4. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

5. Open File Explorer, open the C:\Windows\System32 folder, and delete the Toggle_OneDrive.vbs file. If prompted, click/tap on Yes (UAC) to approve.

6. When finished, you can close File Explorer and delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 5, 2015

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10 :(

ArmoredCavalry, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Freezer Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Bree Win User
    Remove Play with Windows Media Player Context Menu in Windows 10  

Choose Default Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Step 1. Open with > choose another app

Step 2, click More apps

Step 3. scroll down to the bottom of the list to find Look for another app on this PC

Step 4. browse and find Windows Media Player wmplayer.exe then click Open

6. Freezer Win User
    Windows 10 - OneDrive

[/quote] Click to expand... Sorry, but I think you're confused and keep referring to Onedrive. There is a big difference between the consumer version of Onedrive business O365 version. I do not have the consumer version of Onedrive installed... it is Onedrive for Business. Also, this script is for "Onedrive" .... not Onedrive for Business. Thanks anyway.

OneDrive (for Business) built-in Windows 10 differences?

No thanks for providing a non-rant version. I ought to recruit about 20 million people and walk down to Microsoft headquarters and do them in. Tired of Microsoft forcing their childish development skills on the masses.

Freezer, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Add Open or Close OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Add Open Close

2. Add or Remove Move to OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Move to OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Move to OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Move to OneDrive Context Menu in Windows 10 In Windows 10, you can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your PC, tablet, or phone. OneDrive is...
  3. Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open PowerShell window here context menu - Add in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Open PowerShell window here' context menu in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with Windows PowerShell 5.0 included. Windows PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and...
  4. Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Restart Context Menu in Windows 10 Restart will close all apps, sign out all users, and full shutdown and restart (reboot) the PC. Starting with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: Old behavior: - When...
  5. Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Open Location context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 Add or Remove 'Open file location' and 'Open folder location' Context Menu in Windows 10 When you right click or press and hold on a shortcut of a file, shortcut of a folder, file or folder in search...
  6. Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open in New Window context menu in Windows 10 While you browse in File Explorer, you can open each drive, folder, and library in the same window or in its own new window. By...
  7. Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10: How to: Open with Notepad context menu - Add or Remove in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove 'Open with Notepad' Context Menu in Windows 10 Adding "Open with Notepad" to the context menu of all files will allow you to quickly open that file with Notepad without setting...
  8. Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Open Bash window here context menu - Add in Windows 10 How to Add 'Open Bash window here' context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft first made investments that improve cmd, PowerShell, and many other command-line tools and developer scenarios....
  9. Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu in Windows 10 The Open with context menu allows users to choose an app to open a file with. This tutorial will show how to add or remove the Open with context menu...
  10. Add Open with to Context Menu of BAT files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Open with to Context Menu of BAT files in Windows 10: How to: Add Open with to Context Menu of BAT files in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Open with Context Menu to BAT files in Windows 10 A .bat file is a batch file that consists of a series of commands to be executed by the command line interpreter, stored in a plain...