Windows 10: Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 How to Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10

How to: Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10

How to Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10

Windows 10 introduces a new feature called Task view. Task view is a virtual desktop manager that allows you to quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple desktops. Create custom additional desktops to group apps for productivity, entertainment, or whatever you choose. This makes multitasking and organizing your opened apps much easier.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to switch between open apps in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: How to Switch Between Open Apps in Task View
    • Option Two: How to Switch Between Open Apps using Taskbar
    • Option Three: How to Switch Between Open Apps when pressing Alt+Tab
    • Option Four: How to Switch Between Open Apps when pressing Ctrl+Alt+Tab
    • Option Five: How to Switch Between Open Apps in Task Manager
    • Option Six: How to Switch Between Open Apps using Precision Touchpad

OPTION ONE [/i] How to Switch Between Open Apps in Task View

*note The method to switch between open apps in Task View replaced "Windows Flip 3D" from Windows 7, and "Switcher" in Windows 8.
    1. Do Task View.

2. Click/tap on the step 5 below.

3. Press the Windows + Tab keys, and go to step 5 below.

4. On a touchscreen, swipe inwards from the left border of the screen, and go to step 5 below.

5. If you have any added desktops, then select the desktop that has the open app you want to switch to, and click/tap on the open app. (see screenshots below)

(single display with two desktops)

Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

(multiple displays with no added desktops)

OPTION TWO [/i] How to Switch Between Open Apps using Taskbar

*note It will depend on if you set to show open apps on all desktops or only the desktop your using for what open apps will show on the taskbar.

How to Select Desktops to Show Open Windows on Taskbar in Windows 10
    1. Hover the mouse pointer over a taskbar icon of an open app to see if you have more than one tab or instance of the app open. (see screenshots below step 3 and step 4)

*note Icons on the taskbar with a bar under them indicate that they are an open app with an open window.

The color of the bar under the taskbar icon will be the same as the color you chose in Personlization Colors.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below depending on how many tabs (ex: Internet Explorer) or instances of the app you have open.

3. If you only have one window open for the app, then you can click/tap on the icon on the taskbar or click/tap on the taskbar thumbnail preview. (see screenshot below)

4. If you have more than one window open for the app, then you can click/tap on the taskbar thumbnail preview of the window you want to switch to. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] How to Switch Between Open Apps when pressing Alt+Tab

*note It will depend on if you set to show open apps on all desktops or only the desktop your using for what open apps will show when pressing Alt+Tab (aka: "Windows Flip").

How to Select Desktops to Show Open Windows in ALT+TAB in Windows 10
    1. Do step 2 (thumbnails) or step 3 (classic icons) below for what version of Switch Between Windows you would like to use.

2. To Use Switch Between Windows with thumbnails
    A) Press and hold the Alt key.

B) Tap the Tab key until the open app you want to switch to is selected (highlighted with a white border around it).

C) Release the Alt key to switch to the selected app.

3. To Use Switch Between Windows with classic icons
    A) Press and hold the right Alt key.

B) Press the left Alt+Tab keys and release.

B) Tap the Tab key until the open app you want to switch to is selected (highlighted with a blue border around it).

C) Release the right Alt key to switch to the selected app.

OPTION FOUR [/i] How to Switch Between Open Apps when pressing Ctrl+Alt+Tab

*note It will depend on if you set to show open apps on all desktops or only the desktop your using for what open apps will show when pressing Ctrl+Alt+Tab (aka: "Windows Flip").

How to Select Desktops to Show Open Windows in ALT+TAB in Windows 10
    1. Press the Ctrl + Alt + Tab keys.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for how you would like to switch to an open app.

3. Click/tap on the open app you want to switch to.

4. Tap the Tab key or arrow keys until the open app you want to switch to is selected (highlighted with a white border around it), and press Enter.

OPTION FIVE [/i] How to Switch Between Open Apps in Task Manager
    1. Open Task Manager in more details view.

2. Click/tap on the Processes tab. (see screenshot below)

3. Under the Apps section, expand open the app (ex: Windows Explorer) that has an open window you want to switch to.

4. Right click or press and hold on the open window (ex: This PC) you want to switch to, and click/tap on Switch to.

OPTION SIX [/i] How to Switch Between Open Apps using Precision Touchpad

*note Starting with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328, you can switch quickly between desktops using touchpads.

You will need a precision touchpad that supports four or more fingers, such as the precision touchpads found on Surface Book or Surface Pro 4 Type Cover.
    1. Swipe four fingers left or right on your touchpad to scroll between added desktops.

*tip You can also switch desktops with a quick-flick.

If you want to refer to two adjacent desktops, you can keep your fingers down and drag back and forth.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Mar 8, 2016
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Cvrk Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

I have a Lumia 920 mobile phone.
    Found a list on the net with compatible phones that support Win 10. Mine is on that list.
    Can't upgrade with the usual way.
    Found help on this official website of developers for Windows Phones. It's a step by step no brainer thing. Most people are doing it. Except me. I can't get past point 6. HOWTO: Install Windows 10 for Phones on Non-supported devices (and other hacks)

"6.Connect to the same WiFi that your PC is on. Edit the settings for the WiFi connection to turn on the Proxy and set it to use the PC’s IP address and enter 8877 for the port "

7. Open Internet Explorer on your phone and navigate to http://[pc.ip.add.ress]:8877 where [pc.ip.add.ress] is the IP address of the PC running the WPInsidersHacks app

No idea what this means.I guess i need to access the router and modify some settings in there. Some guy on the forum told me " think he means to use the local IP address of the pc. Go to cmd and type ipconfig and look for ipv4 address. Should be somethin like 192/......"

I did connect my phone as always via wi-fi to my router. But i have no ideea how to use that proxy or how to make my phone have the same Ip as computer. I did start WPInsiderHacks app on pc. This is what it looks like

Theres also this official Windows 10 Preview On Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows Central Forums
    It says this :
    1. Download the Windows Insider app.
    Press ... > about > make sure Sys free space is 300MB or more.
    If there isn't enough space, make full reset with Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn:7777

Download and install certificate.
    3. Edit WiFi connection, enable Proxy

Code:
    upwp10.chinacloudapp.cn

4. Open Insider app, click get builds
    5. You will get Enroll page, do not Enroll yet!
    6. Switch to WIFI settings, turn off proxy.
    7. Switch to Windows Insider app and now you can enroll for Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    Choose Fast option.
    8. Check Settings > Phone update.
    If it can't find updates, you may need to reboot your phone and enroll again (without a proxy now).

Same thing with the proxy. Anyways the more detailed steps on the DEV forum are much better i think .Cuz they put out more info on how to do it.

Can anybody help me with step 6 ?

6. Edwin Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hey Shawn,
    I did that to no avail, then I ran WSReset.exe; now I'm good on all 3, Mail, Calendar and People! *Confused
    Go figure!

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Edwin, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10

1. Switch Between Open Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Switch Between Open

2. Windows 11 Switching between open programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Switching between open programs: I have both and new computer and am new to Windows 11.With Windows 10, I used to click the program on the task bar and the computer would show me that program or excel file on my monitor.With Windows 11, sometimes if I hover, then click the thing that shows up the computer...
  3. Windows 11 Switching between open programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Switching between open programs: I have both and new computer and am new to Windows 11.With Windows 10, I used to click the program on the task bar and the computer would show me that program or excel file on my monitor.With Windows 11, sometimes if I hover, then click the thing that shows up the computer...
  4. Switching between apps automatically

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching between apps automatically: I have a new ASUS laptop and when I open something like File Explorer and then select one of the files, frequently from the open file, I pop back to the File Explorer list. How do I stop this?...
  5. Switching between apps automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching between apps automatically: I have a new ASUS laptop and when I open something like File Explorer and then select one of the files, frequently from the open file, I pop back to the File Explorer list. How do I stop this?...
  6. Instantly Switch Between Last Opened App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Instantly Switch Between Last Opened App: Hey guys, I hope everyone is keeping well! Does anyone know if there is a way to instantly switch and open the last opened app? any hacks included, regedit ect E.g: there's 12 apps open. Using either a shortcut or touchpad gesture, instantly switch between app A & C, C & A...
  7. UsbDeviceSignalHandler open when switching between Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UsbDeviceSignalHandler open when switching between Windows: I noticed that for some time I have that weird invisible window or something named USB device signal handler. I can't find it in processes what starts to worry me, that I got some **** or some USB problem I'm not aware of. I did notice any change since this thing appears is...
  8. my cursor disappears when switching between open apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    my cursor disappears when switching between open apps: When I have multiple pages on the desktop open one disappears when switching between the open apps. How do I fix this in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cursor-disappears-when-switching-between-open/e71af598-723d-4e5d-bdbf-274840731113
  9. Switch Between Open Apps is crap in windows 10 (HTPC), what to do?

in Windows 10 Support
    Switch Between Open Apps is crap in windows 10 (HTPC), what to do?: My desktop pc is also functions as a htpc. I also have two lcd monitors. In previous windows 7, i could do flip3d to go through each app. I have a remote control I use for my media playback/kodi etc.. I assigned a key to flip3d (windows key + tab), so that I can easy...
  10. Switch Between Apps on Windows 10 Mobile Phones

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Switch Between Apps on Windows 10 Mobile Phones: How to: Switch Between Apps on Windows 10 Mobile Phones How to Switch Between Apps on your Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information Many apps can run at the same time on your Windows 10 Mobile phone, and there's an easy way to switch between the apps you've used most...