Windows 10: Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10

Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC. A VPN connection can help provide a more secure connection to your network and the Internet.

A virtual private network (VPN) allows you to connect to the internet via a server run by a VPN provider. A VPN extends a private network across a public network, and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. ("In the simplest terms, it creates a secure, encrypted connection, which can be thought of as a tunnel, between your computer and a server operated by the VPN service." Applications running across the VPN may therefore benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network.

For more information about a VPN, see:
    Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data sent and received by your PC). That's called a metered Internet connection. These plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit you might have to pay extra. In some cases, you aren't charged extra but your connection speed becomes slower until the billing cycle ends.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off allowing VPN (virtual private network) over metered networks for all users in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on VPN on the left side, and turn On (default) or Off Allow VPN over metered networks under Advanced Options on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks using a REG file

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to do this option.

The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\Parameters\Config\VpnCostedNetworkSettin gs

NoCostedNetwork DWORD

0 = On
    1 = Off

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Allow VPN over Metered Networks
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_Allow_VPN_over_metered_networks.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_Allow_VPN_over_metered_networks.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 21, 2017
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Vincet384 Win User
    Turn off VPN over meter networks, VPN while roaming the switches won't turn off

For some reason the VPN over metered networks and the VPN while roaming settings will not deactivate. I turn them off switch to another area and come back and there turn back on again. Is there anyway to deactivate them permanently using the registry.

Vincet384, Oct 26, 2019
  4. JanetXZ Win User

Turning VPN On or Off

Hi Erik

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm referring to the 'On' switches to allow VPN over metered Networks/Roaming. I have fibre optic broadband etc. and not the metered dial up paid per minute etc. option and can't see any reason why I would need to use it and I don't have anything in
    the 'add a VPN connection' so I presume I can turn the Advanced Options allowing VPN over metered networks and roaming to 'Off' to make my laptop more secure and safe?

JanetXZ, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Metered connections in Windows 10

Hi Roger,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me guide you how to turn on metered connection on Windows 10.

To turn on the metered connection follow the below steps:

• Connect to the network that you want to turn on the metered connection.

• Click on the network icon on the system tray and click on
      Network settings.

• Click on Wi-Fi on the left pane and click on
      Advanced option on the right side.
    • Now you can turn on the metered connection.
    Hope this helps. Post us in case if you have any further issues with Windows, we will be glad to help you further.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Knoxx29 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Allow VPN over Metered Networks in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Allow

2. How to allow VPN over metered connection and while roaming on your Windows 11 computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to allow VPN over metered connection and while roaming on your Windows 11 computer: [ATTACH]Windows 11 has overs to set a metered connection for your network. The purpose is to make sure that data isn’t overused especially for fixed data networks. However, this impacts connectivity to the VPN. The same happens while roaming. If you wish to allow VPN over...
  3. Microsoft is now downloading over metered network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft is now downloading over metered network: My home web server is now downloading updates over a network I have marked as metered. I set the "download over metered" to off; but it is still doing downloads. Causes intermittent losses of data on my IOT system and loss of connection to my devices. What the actual fuck is...
  4. VPN's and metered networks Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN's and metered networks Windows 10: Hello, I have Windows 10 and have been told that creating a VPN is recommended. I'm pretty new to trying to do this stuff myself so please forgive my ignorance. I was wondering what kind of VPN to use, there's a setting for automatic, and I was planning to use...
  5. Metered connection option keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered connection option keeps turning off: Hi. I got this annoying problem, when i set a connection as metered windows turning it off! in other word the option does not save! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection-option-keeps-turning-off/04fb5a9d-5b2b-4680-9b2a-6f465e465393
  6. Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Allow Automatically Download Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10 By default, Windows Update in Windows 10 will automatically download and install updates,...
  7. Turn On or Off Allow VPN while Roaming in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Allow VPN while Roaming in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Allow VPN while Roaming in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Allow VPN while Roaming in Windows 10 [img] Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC. A VPN connection...
  8. Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Download Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Turn On or Off Download Offline Maps over Metered Connections in Windows 10 Windows 10 comes with the Maps app preinstalled. Maps is your guide to everywhere. Find your way with voice navigation...
  9. Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: Since the Creators Update the mysterious wording in Windows Update has puzzled many, and Microsoft hasn't exactly been forthcoming. Just what updates are "required to keep Windows running smoothly"? [img] It doesn't help that the behaviour of updates over metered...
  10. Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Download Device Software over Metered Connection in Windows 10 [img] Information Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is allow vpn over metered networks

2. allow vpn on metered networks what does it mean

3. allow vpn over metered networks

4. Windows10 設定 VPN Allow over metered network,
  5. windows 10 leave vpn over metered networks?