Windows 10: Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10

Starting with Windows 10 build 17115, Windows 10 has gotten a new privacy screen settings layout.

Users can turn on or off to send inking and typing data to Microsoft to improve the language recognition and suggestion capabilities of apps and services running on Windows 10 such as handwriting recognition, autocompletion, next word prediction and spelling correction in the many languages used by Windows customers.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the improve inking & typing recognition privacy setting for your account or all accounts in Windows 10.

*Warning If you set Diagnostic data to Basic instead of Full, it will prevent inking and typing data from being sent to Microsoft.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition during Windows Setup
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for Current User in Settings
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for Current User using a REG file
    • Option Four: To Enable or Disable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users in Local Group Policy
    • Option Five: To Enable or Disable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition Windows Setup
    1. When you get to Choose privacy settings for your device during Windows Setup while doing a clean install of Windows 10, you can turn on (default) or off the Inking & typing privacy setting for what you want. (see screenshots below)

Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for Current User in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Privacy icon.

2. Click/tap on Diagnostics & Feedback on the left side, and turn on (default) of off Improve inking & typing recognition on the right side for what you want. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for Current User using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Input\TIPC

Enabled DWORD

0 = Off
    1 = On

1. Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Improve Inking & Typing Recognition
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_ON_improve_inking_and_typing_recognition.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_OFF_improve_inking_and_typing_recognition.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Enable or Disable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users in Local Group Policy

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This option is only available starting with Windows 10 version 1803.

If disabled, this option will override Option Two and Option Three.

The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education Option Five to set this policy using a REG file instead.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Text Input

3. In the right pane of Text Input in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Improve inking and typing recognition policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured[/B] is the default setting.

6. To Disable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Enable or Disable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users using a REG file

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

This option is only available starting with Windows 10 version 1803.

If disabled, this option will override Option Two and Option Three.

The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\TextInput

AllowLinguisticDataCollection DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    0 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.

Enable_Improve_inking_and_typing_recognition.reg

Download

3. To Disable Improve Inking & Typing Recognition for All Users

Disable_Improve_inking_and_typing_recognition.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Sep 18, 2016

2. How to turn off Speech recognition in Windows 10?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Follow the steps to turn off speech recognition in Windows 10

• Click Start then type: Change text to speech options in search bar.
    • Hit enter.
    • Select the Speech Recognition tab
    • Under 'User Settings' uncheck 'Run speech recognition at startup'
    • Click Apply and OK
    Hope this helps, let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Oct 27, 2019
  3. facial recognition

Hello,

Facial Recognition was developed as part of the new security features of Windows 10. We would like to confirm if you are
    trying to turn off the Facial Recognition feature for Windows Hello or for the
    Windows 10 Camera app?

If you are requesting to turn off the Facial Recognition feature for Windows Hello, you can follow these steps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Click Sign-in options.
    • Under Picture password, click Remove.

However, we have yet to include the option to turn off Facial Recognition feature in Windows 10 Camera app. We suggest that you
    submit a suggestion to our Feedback Hub. Your feedback helps us continually improve your experience with our products. To submit a feedback, follow the instruction below:

• Open the Windows 10 Camera app.
    • Click the Gear icon located at the upper right corner of the screen.
    • Scroll down, click Send Feedback.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 27, 2019
  4. sidneylo Win User

Win 10 Speech Recognition

I was going to try the settings one more time as you suggested. However I ran into deadlock even at the first step:

“…Select the
    Speech Recognition > Set up Speech Recognition
    page…”

No such choice as “Set up Speech Recognition”. How can I send you the screen shot?

sidneylo, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Suman_B Win User
    Individualised typing shortcuts

Hi JacobusR,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Are you trying to configure typing shortcut in any particular application?

This issue may occur due to turning off Inking & typing personalization.

I suggest you to try the following methods and check:

Method 1: Turn on Inking & typing personalization.

To turn on Inking & typing personalization and clear the local user dictionary.

1. Go to Start , then select Settings  >
      Privacy > Inking & typing personalization.
    2. Under Getting to know you, switch the setting to
      On

Suggest you to refer this article about Speech,
    inking, typing, and privacy.

Method 2: Turn on Text suggestions.

Right click on Start > Settings > Typing > Hardware Keyboard > Turn on Show text suggestions as I type.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Argel Obm Win User
    Windows Ink Workspace - Reset/Clearing Contents Programmatically

Hi Robert,

Windows Ink Workspace is part of the system icons. Just like the Start button, the process of Windows Ink Workspace is not going to present in Task Manager. If do not want your users to use the Windows Ink Workspace, we recommend that you disable it. You
    can disable Windows Ink Workspace by following these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Select Personalization.
    • On the left pane, choose Taskbar.
    • Under Notification area, click Turn system icons on or off.
    • Locate Windows Ink Workspace, and then click the slider to turn it off.
    • You will now notice that the Windows Ink Workspace is gone from the Taskbar.

If you still want to have a function that will allow you to automatically reset or clear the contents of Windows Ink Workspace, we recommend that you post your suggested function using the Feedback Hub like what was mentioned by
    Erika Aro so that our Engineers can look into it and release your suggested feature on the next update of Windows 10.

Regards.

Argel Obm, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Improve Inking & Typing Recognition in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Improve

2. Turn off the windows speech recognition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off the windows speech recognition: I am not happy, I already try a lot of thing to stop this program that you call windows speech recognition to stop, but it won't , believe me I already read every single your answer there and nothing work, so help me, it won't stop and it star ANNOYING when I turn on my...
  3. Turn off the windows speech recognition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off the windows speech recognition: I am not happy, I already try a lot of thing to stop this program that you call windows speech recognition to stop, but it won't , believe me I already read every single your answer there and nothing work, so help me, it won't stop and it star ANNOYING when I turn on my...
  4. Does Windows 11 have an option to improve your handwriting recognition through the ink and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 11 have an option to improve your handwriting recognition through the ink and...: Hi,I was wondering why Windows 11 doesn't have the application that allows you to improve your digital handwriting. I write my a's and d's a different way and I'd like to train windows to the way I write certain letters. I think it was called shapecollector.exe but It doesn't...
  5. Does Windows 11 have an option to improve your handwriting recognition through the ink and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Windows 11 have an option to improve your handwriting recognition through the ink and...: Hi,I was wondering why Windows 11 doesn't have the application that allows you to improve your digital handwriting. I write my a's and d's a different way and I'd like to train windows to the way I write certain letters. I think it was called shapecollector.exe but It doesn't...
  6. Turning off Windows Ink?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning off Windows Ink?: Hello, I have a laptop and when I'm playing games, sometimes it starts up Windows Ink or Pen or whatever it is. I don't know how I always start it up, or, and most importantly, how to turn it off... I've found how to disable it completely, but never found how to turn it off...
  7. Windows 10 - Inking & Typing personalization toggle UI to off cmd

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Inking & Typing personalization toggle UI to off cmd: Windows 10 Pro x64 1903 Settings > Privacy > Inking & Typing personalization "Use your typing history and handwriting patterns to create a local user dictionary that makes better suggestions for you" How do I programmatically set it to Off, while impacting in the UI? I set...
  8. Inking,typing.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Inking,typing.: At full diagnostic settings does inking and typing data send screenshot to microsoft or 3rd party ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inkingtyping/36f4f597-ece1-423a-88bc-4e520e215528"
  9. Turn On or Off Inking & Typing Personalization in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Inking & Typing Personalization in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Inking & Typing Personalization in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Getting to know you for Inking & Typing Personalization in Windows 10 When the user dictionary for you that is used to make better typing suggestions and improve handwriting...
  10. Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Online Speech Recognition in Windows 10 When talk to Cortana and other apps that use Windows cloud-based speech recognition. Microsoft will use your voice data to help improve their...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to turn on Microsoft inking and typing

2. Enable_Improve_inking_and_typing_recognition.reg

3. local user dictionary registry