Windows 10: Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 You can turn your Windows 10 PC into a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by MrLeez, Jul 22, 2016.

1. MrLeez Win User

Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10

You can turn your Windows 10 PC into a mobile hotspot by sharing your Internet connection with other devices over Wi-Fi. You can share a Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or cellular data connection. If your PC has a cellular data connection and you share it, it will use data from your data plan.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14316, users can now easily setup and turn on or off mobile hotspot in Settings.

This tutorial will show you how to setup and turn on or off mobile hotspot to share the Internet connection from your Windows 10 PC with other devices.

*note The network name (SSID) for the mobile hotspot will not be hidden in the list of available networks to connect to for devices.

*tip You can type the command below in a command prompt and press Enter to see if your wireless adapter supports hosted network (aka: mobile hotspot).

*Arrow netsh wlan show settings

Turn on command - netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow

Turn off command - netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 [​IMG]

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Setup and Turn On Mobile Hotspot in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn Off Mobile Hotspot in Settings
    • Option Three: To Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Action Center

OPTION ONE [/i] To Setup and Turn On Mobile Hotspot on Windows 10 PC
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on Mobile hotspot on the left side, and select what (ex: Cellular, Ethernet, or Wi-Fi) you want to Share my Internet connect from on your PC for devices. (see screenshot below)

*note If you like, you can also turn on or off Turn on remotely to allow another device to turn on the mobile hotspot when in range.

Both your PC and any device must have Bluetooth turned on and be paired for the device to be able to remotely automatically turn on the mobile hotspot on your PC.

If your Mobile hotspot settings are grayed out, try to click/tap on another setting (ex: "Data usage") on the left side and click/tap back on Mobile hotspot.

3. Click/tap on Edit if you would like to change your mobile hotspot settings for people to use to log in with their devices. (see screenshot above)
    1) Enter a network name you want for this mobile hotspot. (see screenshot below)

2) Enter a network password at least 8 characters long for this mobile hotspot.

3) Select to use the 5 GHz, 2.4 GHz, or Any available network band for this mobile hotspot.

4) Click/tap on Save when finished.

4. You can now give the network name and password to people that you want to share your Internet connection with when you have mobile hotspot turned on for your PC.

5. Turn on Share your Internet connection with other devices. (see screenshot below)

*note You will see a list of any devices connected to your mobile hotspot.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn Off Mobile Hotspot on Windows 10 PC

*note This is the default setting.
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on Mobile hotspot on the left side, and turn off Share your Internet connection with other devices. (see screenshots below)

3. Any devices currently connected to your mobile hotspot will now lose connection.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Action Center
    1. If you haven't already, you will need to set up Mobile Hotspot for how you want it in Option One.

2. Open the Action Center (Win+A).

3. Click/tap on the Mobile Hotspot quick action button to toggle it on and off (default) for what you want. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

MrLeez, Jul 22, 2016

2. Hotspot

I am using my laptop (HP Pavilion) w/Windows 10 home edition as a hotspot when connected by Ethernet to a modem and I go to setting and turn on mobile hotspot however the hotspot keeps turning off, can you help?I am using my laptop (HP Pavilion) w/Windows
    10 home edition as a hotspot when connected by Ethernet to a modem and I go to setting and turn on mobile hotspot however the hotspot keeps turning off, can you help?

Thanks Tom

***Moved From:Mobile Devices / Other Windows mobile devices / Tips, tricks, and customization / Windows 10 Mobile.***

ThomasEdwards39, Jul 22, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 22, 2016
  4. tommygun Win User

....... in my case the Mobile Hotspot turn on and off button is greyed out (see screenshot).

Running this command :
    netsh wlan show drivers

Shows:
    Hosted network supported : yes

Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter in Device Manager is also enabled.

I'm trying to share my cellular network connection (USB Aircard).

What am I missing ?

Thanks in advance for any help .......

tommygun, Aug 30, 2016
  5. borhan48 Win User
    I can't find mobile hotspot on/off toggle in action center on my Laptop running anniversary update build 14393.105.

Moreover I can't add it to quick actions.

Any workaround to enable quick toggle would be a great help.

borhan48, Sep 5, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Borhan, *Smile

Do you have the feature available in Settings?

Does it show that you laptop supports this feature from using the command in the yellow tip box at the top of the tutorial?

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
  7. borhan48 Win User
    Yes, settings available. Please see below screenshot-

And yes hotspot works, see my phone is connected-

borhan48, Sep 5, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Borhan,

I can confirm as well that it appears the "Mobile hotspot" quick action seems to have been removed in the latest builds.

Brink, Sep 5, 2016
  9. borhan48 Win User
    Duly noted. It's typical of Microsoft who likes to remove feature that is user friendly.

Another thing-
    How does "Turn on remotely" thing works? My laptop and phone both paired via bluetooth, both devices bluetooth turned on, both devices running up to date OS. But laptop hotspot never turns on when I turn on wifi of my phone.

borhan48, Sep 6, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I haven't played with the "Turn on remotely" feature to say for 100%, but if both the PC and phone has Bluetooth turned on and paired, then turning on mobile hotspot on the phone should also turn it on the PC so the phone can use the PC's mobile hotspot.

Brink, Sep 6, 2016
  11. borhan48 Win User
    Why should I turn on mobile hotspot on phone instead of turning on wifi? Moreover I can't turn on hotspot on mobile if cellular data is not turned on.

borhan48, Sep 6, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I prefer to use Wi-Fi on the phone as well instead of Mobil Hotspot, but it just depends on what you have available.

Brink, Sep 6, 2016
  13. Kieran28 Win User

Hi Brink,
    I was trying to set up the hotspot on my desktop win10 pc, and when I try to turn the option/feature on, I get "We can't set up mobile hotspot. Turn on Wi-Fi."
    Well, Wi-Fi is on. I'm using a Belkin Play usb stick wifi adapter. I can connect to my own wifi with it, so it does work. But I wanted to use the desktop to set up a small wifi hotspot repeating the wired lan connection my desktop has to the bedroom it's in which has poor reception for our mobile devices.
    Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated!
    Thanks...

Kieran28, Sep 12, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Kieran, *Smile

Does the Wi-Fi USB show as supporting Mobile Hotspot from using the tip at the top of the tutorial?

Brink, Sep 12, 2016
  15. Kieran28 Win User
    Yes it does. *Shock

Kieran28, Sep 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Mobile

2. Mobile Hotspot keep turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mobile Hotspot keep turning off: I am using Windows 11 and I use the internet in my laptop through an ethernet cable which is provided to us in our rooms from different ethernet ports usually it's fine but when I want to use the Internet on my mobile phone I have to turn on my Mobile Hotspot from Laptop...
  3. Mobile Hotspot keep turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mobile Hotspot keep turning off: I am using Windows 11 and I use the internet in my laptop through an ethernet cable which is provided to us in our rooms from different ethernet ports usually it's fine but when I want to use the Internet on my mobile phone I have to turn on my Mobile Hotspot from Laptop...
  4. Stop Mobile Hotspot from turning off

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop Mobile Hotspot from turning off: I am running windows 10 on a work computer and we don't have wifi in the office. I can turn on my mobile hotspot on my computer to broadcast wifi so my phone can connect and not eat up all my data. Problem is it keeps completely shutting off for some reason. It sometimes...
  5. Annoying Mobile Hotspot bug makes it turn off

Annoying Mobile Hotspot bug makes it turn off: Hi, I use a lot the Mobile Hotspot function in my desktop, but there's a really annoying bug that makes it turn off after a few minutes ONLY the first time you turn it on in a session. This has nothing to do with power saving settings or auto turn off, or my specific PC,...
  6. How to turn on or off Mobile Hotspot remotely in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to turn on or off Mobile Hotspot remotely in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft has added support in Windows 10 for turning Mobile Hotspot remotely on and off. Though the Mobile Hotspot feature (earlier known as Virtual Networks) was introduced with the initial release of Windows 10 this feature was added recently. With [...]...
  7. Mobile hotspot turning off!

Mobile hotspot turning off!: Hello, I have a laptop with windows ten on it, and I have been using mobile hotspot for quite awhile to connect other devices to the internet with out any problems. However for the last two days my mobile hotspot keeps turning off for no reason when it used to stay on...
  8. Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot off automatically

Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot off automatically: If no device is connected to Mobile Hotspot it goes off automatically after some time. I want, it should remain ON until I manually off. Windows version : 1809 ( Build 17763.134) My windows and all network drivers are up to date. Setting On my machine: 1: Power Setting...
  9. Enable or Disable Automatically Turn Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatically Turn Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatically Turn Off Mobile Hotspot in Windows 10 Enable or Disable Automatically Turn Off Mobile Hotspot when No Devices Connected in Windows 10 You can turn your Windows 10 PC into a mobile hotspot by sharing your Internet connection with...
  10. Mobile Hotspot - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mobile Hotspot - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Mobile Hotspot - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot on a Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information You can create a mobile hotspot with your Windows 10 Mobile phone to share your cellular data connection with other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn on hotspot in win 100

2. why doesnt my mobile hotspot stay on longer . i have a hp pavilion pc

3. hp pavilion mobile hotspot desktop is switches off used to stay on