Windows 10: Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC in Windows 10

The Projecting to this PC feature uses the Connect app to allow you to wirelessly project your Windows Phone, another PC, or Android devices to the screen of this PC, and use its keyboard, mouse, and other devices too.

Starting with Windows 10 build 14328, there is separate settings available for Projecting to this PC if your PC has Wi-Fi.

Windows PCs and phones can project to your PC when you say it's OK.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off to require a PIN for pairing when projecting to this PC for all users in Windows 10.

*note Your PC might have trouble displaying the content of the projected Windows 10 Mobile phone or Windows 10 PC if its hardware wasn't specifically optimized for Miracast.

*note Your PC can on be projected to on private and domain networks, but not on public networks.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Require PIN for Pairing in Settings
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Require PIN for Pairing using a REG file
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Require PIN for Pairing in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Four: Enable or Disable Require PIN for Pairing using a REG file

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Require PIN for Pairing in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon.

2. Click/tap on Projecting to this PC on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Select Never (default), First Time, or Always in the Require PIN for pairing drop down menu on the right side for what you want.

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Require PIN for Pairing using a REG file
    *note You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MiracastReceiver

Primary Authorization Method DWORD

1 = Never
    2 = First Time
    3 = Always

Secondary Authorization Method DWORD

(Delete) = First Time, Always
    2 = Never

1. Do step 2 (Never), step 3 (First Time), or step 4 (Always) below for what you would like to do.

2. Never Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

Never_require_PIN_for_pairing_for_projecting_to_this_PC.reg

Download

3. First Time Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 5 below.

First_Time_require_PIN_for_pairing_for_projecting_to_this_PC.reg

Download

4. Always Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC

Always_require_PIN_for_pairing_for_projecting_to_this_PC.reg

Download
    5. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

6. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

7. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

8. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Require PIN for Pairing in Local Group Policy Editor

This option will override and prevent changing Option One and Option Two.

Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option FOUR below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Windows Components\Connect

3. In the right pane of Connect in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Require pin for pairing policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (never), step 6 (first time), or step 7 (always) below for what you would like to do.

5. Never Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Never in the Options drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting to allow using Option One and Option Two.

6. First Time Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select First Time in the Options drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. Always Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, select Always in the Options drop menu, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. When finished, close the Local Group Policy Editor.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Enable or Disable Require PIN for Pairing using a REG file

This option will override and prevent changing Option One and Option Two.

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Connect

Primary Authorization Method DWORD

(delete) = Default
    1 = Never
    2 = First Time
    3 = Always

1. Do step 2 (Never), step 3 (First Time), or step 4 (Always), or step 5 (default) below for what you would like to do.

2. Never Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

GPEDIT-Never_require_PIN_for_pairing_for_projecting_to_this_PC.reg

Download

3. First Time Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 6 below.

GPEDIT-First_Time_require_PIN_for_pairing_for_projecting_to_this_PC.reg

Download

4. Always Require PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC

GPEDIT-Always_require_PIN_for_pairing_for_projecting_to_this_PC.reg

Download

5. Default - Not Configured PIN for Pairing when Projecting to this PC
    *note This is the default setting to allow using Option One and Option Two..

GPEDIT-default_PIN_for_pairing_for_projecting_to_this_PC.reg

Download
    6. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

7. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

8. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

9. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 3, 2018

2. Projecting Windows 10 to LG Smart TV not working

Hello Bob,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you connected both the devices to the same network?

Follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to refer the article on
    Fix connections to wireless displays

Method 2:

Try changing the settings for Screen Sharing.

1. Go to Settings > System > Project to this PC.
    2. Change the drop down under ‘Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it's OK’ to ‘Available anywhere on secure networks’.
    3. Under Ask to project to this PC to First time only.
    4. Uncheck the option Require PIN for pairing.
    5. Restart the PC.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Jeraldine Ase, Oct 26, 2019
  4. DanielB# Win User

Projecting to this PC

I am trying to project my windows phone to my windows 10 PC however in the "Projecting to this PC" section of settings the options are greyed out and it states in red:

"we are still trying to determine the feature capabilities"

anyone have a suggestion so I can turn on the projections setting?

DanielB#, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Projecting to this PC

I am trying to project my windows phone to my windows 10 PC however in the "Projecting to this PC" section of settings the options are greyed out and it states in red:

"we are still trying to determine the feature capabilities"

anyone have a suggestion so I can turn on the projections setting?

Leslie J.Sampher, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Require PIN for Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Require

2. Where is the Pin for "Projecting to this PC"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is the Pin for "Projecting to this PC": I finally found a solution to the question, Where is the Pin for "Projecting to this PC" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-pin-for-projecting-to-this-pc/f628f5a4-c973-44bf-90eb-454e57335d78I am posting this as a question because the above...
  3. Where is the Pin for "Projecting to this PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the Pin for "Projecting to this PC": I finally found a solution to the question, Where is the Pin for "Projecting to this PC" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-the-pin-for-projecting-to-this-pc/f628f5a4-c973-44bf-90eb-454e57335d78I am posting this as a question because the above...
  4. Turn OFF Windows PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn OFF Windows PIN: The OPTION to turn off Windows PIN is disabled. This is my HOME Computer and it is annoying having to sign in whenever I leave the computer for a couple minutes. How can I turn this off? I'm using Windows 11 Pro. Thank you....
  5. Turn OFF Windows PIN

Turn OFF Windows PIN: The OPTION to turn off Windows PIN is disabled. This is my HOME Computer and it is annoying having to sign in whenever I leave the computer for a couple minutes. How can I turn this off? I'm using Windows 11 Pro. Thank you....
  6. How to change 'Project to this pc' pin?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change 'Project to this pc' pin?: Hi, I've been trying to project to my laptop that has windows 10 latest on it. It has project to this pc option. I've been trying to connect my android device but even after setting ask pin to never, it's asking me for the pin. Is there a way to know what this pin is in my...
  7. How to change 'Project to this pc' pin?

How to change 'Project to this pc' pin?: Hi, I've been trying to project to my laptop that has windows 10 latest on it. It has project to this pc option. I've been trying to connect my android device but even after setting ask pin to never, it's asking me for the pin. Is there a way to know what this pin is in my...
  8. Turn On/Off Projecting to this PC Only when Plugged In in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On/Off Projecting to this PC Only when Plugged In in Windows 10: How to: Turn On/Off Projecting to this PC Only when Plugged In in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Projecting to this PC Only when Plugged In in Windows 10 The Projecting to this PC feature uses the Connect app to allow you to wirelessly project your Windows Phone,...
  9. Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Require Sign-in on Wakeup in Windows 10 To help secure your PC, Windows requires users to sign in when it wakes from hibernate by default. This tutorial will show you how to turn on...
  10. Turn On or Off Projecting to this PC in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Projecting to this PC in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Projecting to this PC in Windows 10 The Projecting to this PC feature uses the Connect app to allow you to wirelessly project your Windows Phone, another PC, or Android devices to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. projecting to this pc require pin for pairing

2. Require Pin For Pairing

3. require pin for pairing gpo