Windows 10: Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10

Discus and support Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10 How To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10

How to: Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10

How To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10

Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information In Windows 10, you can set a shortcut to always run with a normal window, minimized, or maximized when you open the shortcut.

[table][tr][td]Setting[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Normal window[/td] [td]Shortcut always opens the same size as last closed.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Minimized[/td] [td]Shortcut always opens minimized.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Maximized[/td] [td]Shortcut always opens maximized (full screen).[/td] [/tr] [/table]

This tutorial will show you how to set a shortcut to always run with a normal window, minimized, or maximized for your account in Windows 10.

Note This will not always work with all shortcuts.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized from Desktop or File Explorer
    • Option Two: To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized from Start Menu
    • Option Three: To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized from Taskbar

OPTION ONE [/i] To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized from Desktop or File Explorer
    1. Right click or press and hold on the shortcut (ex: "Notepad") on your desktop or in File Explorer, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

2. Select Normal window (default), Minimized, or Maximized in the Run drop menu for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized from Start Menu
    1. Open the Start menu (*Start).

2. Right click or press and hold on an item (ex: "Notepad") All Apps, click/tap on More, and click/tap on Open file location. (see screenshot below)

Note This is not available for Store apps.

3. Right click or press and hold on the shortcut (ex: "Notepad"), and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

4. Select Normal window (default), Minimized, or Maximized in the Run drop menu for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Always Open Shortcut as Normal window, Minimized, or Maximized from Taskbar
    1. Right click or press and hold on an item (ex: "Notepad") pinned to taskbar to open its jump list.

2. Right click or press and hold on the shortcut (ex: "Notepad") in the jump list, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

Note This is not available for Store apps.

3. Select Normal window (default), Minimized, or Maximized in the Run drop menu for what you want, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 17, 2018

2. Opening desktop shortcut displays minimized window, want maximized

HandyHankster, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Kindlin Win User
    Open a PDF viewer in windowed mode (NOT maximized, NOT minimized)

I am trying to force a PDF viewer (Bluebeam Revu) to always open in windowed mode, not full screen (maximized) and not minimized. Even for normal programs I see no way to do this, but for a PDF viewer where I open it 100% of the time by clicking on all
    these different individual PDFs, I really am not sure how I would go about forcing it to always open in windowed mode.

To further complicate the issue, if I make a shortcut to a pdf (for testing purpose only, only "Shortcuts" have the following options) and set it to always open minimized or maximized, nothing changes; it will always only open the same way that it had been
    closed (windowed or maximized) and none of the options changes that.

If you have any suggestions that would be great, because right now half the time I need to window mode the PDF, close it and re open it so that it starts windowed (I do use full screen most of the time, but there is a bug that can't allow it to _start_ full
    screen, hence the problem).

Thanks!

Kindlin, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. opening apps in task bar maximized

Like most people I expect, I've organized my shortcuts on the desktop so that some apps open minimized, some normal, and some maximized. This is done right-clicking on the shortcut, opening the properties window and choosing in the 'run' window whichever
    size you prefer for that particular app/program. For example, I like to open file explorer as large as possible, i.e. maximized.

When it comes to shortcuts on the taskbar, however, I've never found a method which works. Take the file explorer shortcut. I can do this:

right-click folder which brings up the following list of options: desktop, downloads, documents, pictures, file explorer, unpin from taskbar

I right-click file explorer, then on 'properties' then choose run 'maximized', and click OK

Next time I click on the file explorer shortcut on the taskbar, instead of opening maximized, it opens in normal size.

I can maximize it manually of course, but it doesn't remember this, and the next time I open it from the taskbar, it's back to normal again.

This has been going on in multiple versions of Windows, at least back to Windows 7 and 8.

Does anybody have a solution to this?

Moved From: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

Chris Saunders 1946, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Kindlin Win User
    Open a PDF viewer in windowed mode (NOT maximized, NOT minimized)

That seems an odd request, but I'm open for different ideas. What are you expecting to change after this happens? I haven't told windows to do anything related to windowed mode or maximized or anything else.

Are you referring to how my shortcut didn't do anything maximized or minimized? I assume this is because the DPF data is sent to the .exe and the .exe does whatever it wants to do, it's no longer coupled with the shortcut that said to open it in this or
    that manner. But I'll be check this out tomorrow.

Kindlin, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Always Open Shortcut as Normal, Minimized, or Maximized in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Always Open Shortcut

2. App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized: I have set all of my apps to open in maximized window but they always open up in minimized window especially ms teams, chrome and Outlook PWA. Can anyone assist me with this problem?...
  3. App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized: I have set all of my apps to open in maximized window but they always open up in minimized window especially ms teams, chrome and Outlook PWA. Can anyone assist me with this problem?...
  4. App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized: Whenever I try to open Skype, it opens minimized. I went into the properties menu and changed the default to maximized, but every time I open the app it still opens minimized. Not sure whether the issue is with Windows or Skype but it is very frustrating, the app is basically...
  6. App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App always opens minimized despite being set to open maximized: Whenever I try to open Skype, it opens minimized. I went into the properties menu and changed the default to maximized, but every time I open the app it still opens minimized. Not sure whether the issue is with Windows or Skype but it is very frustrating, the app is basically...
  7. Minimize/maximize window

in Windows 10 Customization
    Minimize/maximize window: The line to minimize and the square to maximize window has disappeared from the top right of the screen. The only option shown is the x to close window. How do I restore the minimize and maximize option?...
  8. Sticky Notes always open maximized on windows startup! Can it start minimized?

Sticky Notes always open maximized on windows startup! Can it start minimized?: Thanks for all who answer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sticky-notes-always-open-maximized-on-windows/69fc02d6-611a-4ede-934b-c714b99a8dc3
  9. Opening desktop shortcut displays minimized window, want maximized

Opening desktop shortcut displays minimized window, want maximized: Upon powering up computer, when I launch certain shortcuts off the desktop, they open with a very minimized window. This seems to have occurred after a recent Windows update. I search the properties of the icon and there isn't any control offered. How do I control this...
  10. Windows 10 - Minimized on taskbar do not open or maximize

Windows 10 - Minimized on taskbar do not open or maximize: Windows10 - Minimized on taskbar do not open or maximize. Version 1809 OS Build 17763.107 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-minimized-on-taskbar-do-not-open-or/d1065dee-2819-4108-9a7f-5701059b9ff8

Users found this page by searching for:

1. run app maximized windows 10