Windows 10: Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10

Discus and support Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10 How to Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ksdixon, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ksdixon Win User

Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10

How to: Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10

How to Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10

Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10.

Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the internet, and work with documents.

Specific commands let you navigate Windows, the web, and apps, as well as get info about the area of the PC you're in. Navigation is available using headings, links, landmarks, and more. You can read text (including punctuation) by page, paragraph, line, word, and character as well as determine characteristics like font and text color. Efficiently review tables with row and column navigation.

Narrator also has a navigation and reading mode called Scan Mode. Use it to get around Windows 10 using just the up and down arrows on your keyboard. You can also use a braille display to navigate your PC and read text.

Finally, you can personalize Narrator's voice to adjust the speaking rate, pitch, and volume as well as install some third-party text-to-speech voices.
    • Speed - Control the speed at which Narrator speaks.
    • Volume - Adjust the volume at which Narrator speaks.
    • Pitch - Adjust the pitch of Narrator voice.
    • language.
    This tutorial will show you how to change the voice, voice speed, voice pitch, and voice volume of Narrator for your account in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Narrator Voice in Settings
    • Option Two: To Change Narrator Voice Speed in Settings
    • Option Three: To Change Narrator Voice Pitch in Settings
    • Option Four: To Change Narrator Voice Volume in Settings
    • Option Five: To Change Narrator Voice, Voice Speed, Voice Pitch, Voice Volume in Narrator Settings
    • Option Six: To Change Narrator Voice in Registry Editor
    • Option Seven: To Change Narrator Voice Speed in Registry Editor
    • Option Eight: To Change Narrator Voice Pitch in Registry Editor
    • Option Nine: To Change Narrator Voice Volume in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Narrator Voice in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Ease of Access icon.

*note You can also press the Win+Ctrl+N keys to directly open to Narrator settings.

2. Click/tap on Narrator on the left side. (see screenshot below)

3. Under the Personalize Narrator's voice section, select a voice you want in the Choose a voice drop menu.

*note You can adding a language for your account in Windows 10 and selecting to install its language pack and speech features.

*note You can also download and install third-party voices for Narrator.

4. You can now close Settings if you like.

Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Narrator Voice Speed in Settings

*note You can also press the Win+Ctrl+N keys to directly open to Narrator settings.

3. Under the Personalize Narrator's voice section on the right side, adjust the Change voice speed slider to the level you want.

*note You can hover the pointer over the slider button to see the current level number.

*note The default voice speed is 10.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Change Narrator Voice Pitch in Settings

3. Under the Personalize Narrator's voice section on the right side, adjust the Change voice pitch slider to the level you want.

*note You can hover the pointer over the slider button to see the current level number.

*note The default voice pitch is 10.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Change Narrator Voice Volume in Settings

3. Under the Personalize Narrator's voice section on the right side, adjust the Change voice volume slider to the level you want.

*note The default voice volume is 100.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Change Narrator Voice, Voice Speed, Voice Pitch, Voice Volume in Narrator Settings
    1. While Narrator is turned on and running, click/tap on the Narrator icon on the taskbar, and click/tap on Voice. (see screenshot below)

2. Select a voice (ex: "Microsoft David") you want for Narrator in the drop down menu. (see screenshot below)

3. Select the speed of the voice you want.

*note The default voice speed is 50 percent.

4. Select the volume of the voice you want.

*note The default voice speed is 50 percent.

5. Select the pitch of the voice you want.

*note The default voice pitch is 50 percent.

6. When finished, click/tap on Save changes to keep these changes.

OPTION SIX [/i] To Change Narrator Voice in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Narrator\NoRoam

3. In the right pane of the NoRoam key, double click/tap on the SpeechVoice string value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Type the full name of an available voice (ex: "Microsoft David - English (United States)") listed in Option One you want to use, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. You can now close Registry Editor if you like.

OPTION SEVEN [/i] To Change Narrator Voice Speed in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Narrator

3. In the right pane of the NoRoam key, double click/tap on the SpeechSpeed DWORD value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Select (dot) Decimal, type a number between 0 to 20 for the voice speed you want, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default voice speed is 10.

OPTION EIGHT [/i] To Change Narrator Voice Pitch in Registry Editor

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Narrator

3. In the right pane of the NoRoam key, double click/tap on the SpeechPitch DWORD value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Select (dot) Decimal, type a number between 0 to 20 for the voice pitch you want, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default voice pitch is 10.

OPTION NINE [/i] To Change Narrator Voice Volume in Registry Editor

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Narrator\NoRoam

3. In the right pane of the NoRoam key, double click/tap on the SpeechVolume DWORD value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

4. Select (dot) Decimal, type a number between 0 to 100 for the voice volume you want, click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note The default voice volume is 100.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ksdixon, Jan 5, 2014
  2. Arul_D Win User

Are there any other voices for Narrator in the Ease of Access in Windows 10?

Hi Melody,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type narrator in the search bar and press enter.

• Click on voices

• And select find other voices that work with Narrator.
    Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Are there any other voices for Narrator in the Ease of Access in Windows 10?

Hello Brenda,

I would suggest you to refer to the below steps to turn off narrator.

• Type ease of access in the search bar and press enter

• Click on Narrator and turn off
    Reference:

Hear text read aloud with Narrator

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-hear-text-read-aloud

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10

Narrator voice randomly speaking on Windows 10

I did try it, and yes it did show up in the taskbar. When I turned it back off, it stayed off; so I really don't have any further suggestions as to why your narrator voice is randomly speaking when you have it disabled other than the possibility that it is somehow not being disabled when you select that option.

Perhaps someone else will have some further insight to the glitch you are experiencing and a possible remedy.

Post back if you find any further information about the situation.

Sorry I could not be of further assistance.

EDIT:

I did find however, that if you access the narrator from Control Panel, this screen comes up:

So essentially, a different set of settings is accessible from what I can see:

EyeInTheSky, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Narrator voice randomly speaking on Windows 10

Thanks for the clarification.

I would recommend updating to 1809 because I have way more settings than you do in your 1803 version; unless you just didn't post all of your settings. In either case, I would highly recommend version 1809, as it is the latest Windows build.

EyeInTheSky, Oct 27, 2019
  6. madmax2 Win User
    Narrator voice randomly speaking on Windows 10

Yeah I thanks, didn't know another narrator setting was in the change sign in settings..

I had a look at mine one and it does not look any different to your screenshot

I still do not know what is causing this problem.

madmax2, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10

1. Customize Narrator Voice in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Customize Narrator Voice

2. Narrator - Set voice for unsupported language

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Narrator - Set voice for unsupported language: I'm trying to set up Narrator for a visually impaired user who is fluent in English, German, and Sicilian. Unfortunately, Narrator does not support Sicilian. The user told me that the next best option would be Catalan, which Narrator does support.What I'm trying to do is have...
  3. Narrator - Set voice for unsupported language

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Narrator - Set voice for unsupported language: I'm trying to set up Narrator for a visually impaired user who is fluent in English, German, and Sicilian. Unfortunately, Narrator does not support Sicilian. The user told me that the next best option would be Catalan, which Narrator does support.What I'm trying to do is have...
  4. Narrator Voice at Log in Win 10 2004

in Windows 10 Support
    Narrator Voice at Log in Win 10 2004: Hello All, In my log in screen, if I chose "Ease of access" icon, I always get the narrator voice. I want to shut that voice off PERIOD. I've look though many of the "Narrator" threads but still can't find the answer. Anybody ? Thank you, Oscar 168506
  5. Customer Voice Surveys

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Customer Voice Surveys: How do I embed a survey into an email with Customer Voice Surveys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/customer-voice-surveys/fb94c727-d388-4a38-81e8-ee15a30e6569
  6. How to remove Narrator or voice when app is open. Narrator is OFF but voice contiues on...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to remove Narrator or voice when app is open. Narrator is OFF but voice contiues on...: How to remove Narrator or other voice from apps. Just started since MS upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-remove-narrator-or-voice-when-app-is-open/1d115b96-726c-477c-a99c-44ca2b4d5ea8
  7. narrator voice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    narrator voice: how do I change narrator voice on kindle pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/narrator-voice/0ce56db3-3502-4fcb-ac48-c60b075a66f2
  8. Narrator voice randomly speaking on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Narrator voice randomly speaking on Windows 10: I am experience annoying problem where this narrator voice will randomly speak I made sure Use Narrator is turn turned off and unchecked the shortcut key. But I am still experience this problem of the voice randomly speaking. Windows version : 1803 119983
  9. Turn On or Off Narrator Voice Emphasize Formatted Text in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Voice Emphasize Formatted Text in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Voice Emphasize Formatted Text in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Narrator Voice Emphasize Formatted Text in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse...
  10. Customize Narrator Cursor Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Customize Narrator Cursor Settings in Windows 10: How to: Customize Narrator Cursor Settings in Windows 10 How to Customize Narrator Cursor Settings in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if youre blind...