Windows 10: Find Serial Number of Windows PC

Discus and support Find Serial Number of Windows PC in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Find Serial Number of Windows PC How to Find Serial Number of Windows PC Sometimes abbreviated as Serial No., SN or S/N, a serial number... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by oneLess, Mar 8, 2017.

1. oneLess Win User

Find Serial Number of Windows PC

How to: Find Serial Number of Windows PC

How to Find Serial Number of Windows PC

Sometimes abbreviated as Serial No., SN or S/N, a serial number is a unique number assigned to the PC by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) used for identification and inventory purposes. A serial number allows the manufacturer to identify a product and get additional information about it, for replacement, or as a means of finding compatible parts.

This tutorial will show you how to find the serial number of your Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 PC.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Find Serial Number of PC in Command Prompt
    • Option Two: To Find Serial Number of PC in PowerShell
    • Option Three: To Find Serial Number of PC in BIOS or UEFI
    • Option Four: To Find Serial Number of PC on PC
    • Option Five: To Find Serial Number of PC Online from your Microsoft Account Devices

OPTION ONE [/i] To Find Serial Number of PC in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter.
    *Arrow wmic bios get serialnumber

OR

*Arrow wmic csproduct get identifyingnumber
    3. You will now see the serial number of your PC in the command prompt. (see screenshot below)

Find Serial Number of Windows PC [​IMG]
    Note The serial number will only show in the command prompt if the OEM saved it to your PC's BIOS or UEFI firmware.

If the OEM didn't, or this is a self built PC, then you may see To be filled by O.E.M in the command prompt instead.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Find Serial Number of PC in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Enter the command below into PowerShell, and press Enter.
    *Arrow Get-WmiObject win32_bios | Format-List SerialNumber

OR

*Arrow gwmi win32_bios | fl SerialNumber
    3. You will now see the serial number of your PC in PowerShell. (see screenshot below)

Note The serial number will only show in PowerShell if the OEM saved it to your PC's BIOS or UEFI firmware.

If the OEM didn't, or this is a self built PC, then you may see To be filled by O.E.M in PowerShell instead.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Find Serial Number of PC in BIOS or UEFI
    1. Boot to your PC's BIOS or UEFI Firmware settings.

2. Look on the Main or System Information type page in BIOS/UEFI for your serial number. (see screenshots below)

Note The serial number will only show if the OEM saved it to your PC's BIOS or UEFI firmware.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Find Serial Number of PC on PC
    1. Perform one of the following actions to find the serial number on your OEM PC: (see screenshot below)
    • If you have a laptop, flip it over to the bottom side. On some laptops, you will see the number on a manufacturer sticker on the bottom of the laptop. On others, you’ll see the number printed directly on the metal or plastic. If your laptop has a removable battery, the serial number is sometimes on a sticker inside the battery compartment, under the battery.
    • If you have a desktop, look at the back, top, side, or inside of the case for a manufacturer sticker.

Note If you can’t find the serial number on the PC itself, look online for instructions specific to your PC's model number. The manufacturer’s website should tell you exactly where to look.
    • If you still have the original product box, the serial number is usually printed on it. Often on the same sticker with the bar code.
    • If you purchased the PC online or in a store, the serial number may be printed on the physical or email receipt.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Find Serial Number of PC Online from your Microsoft Account Devices
    *note This option requires that you have previously signed in to the Windows 10 device with your Microsoft account.

Usually, only OEM type devices will have their serial number available with this option.

1. Go to the Devices page online for your Microsoft account, and sign in if you are not already.

2. Click/tap on the Manage or Show details link under the device you want to see its serial number. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the Info & support link at the top, and look for the Serial number (if available) under Device details. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

oneLess, Mar 8, 2017

2. display

That is not a model number, Serial number or Dell Service tag.

What brand of PC do you have?

Now, when you look on the sticker on PC (there are several) find the Model number, unless it is Dell then find the service tag number, or HP find the Serial Number (S/N).

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 8, 2017
  3. salling media serial number

I cant sync my nokia 820 windows 8 with my pc as it is asking for a serial number that i got with salling media. It downloaded it from microsoft so where will i find this serial number?

Nickwolves, Mar 8, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Good spot. I thought it was my PC.
    From the BIOS on your MB. You always have one. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

If you are running a VM you can change it quite easily by just typing something else in the relevant XML (note your Windows activation is based on this though so you'll definitely become deactivated). Otherwise no, it is generally read only

powershell - Windows WMI change the value of MotherBoard SerialNumber - Stack Overflow

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Note: if you have updated your BIOS since buying it, don`t be surprised the the command prompt or PowerShell commands do not work, your BIOS has been overwritten, so only the OOBE motherboard information is there.

All my HYRICAN OEM information was zapped away, and replace with MSI's basic info.

Cliff S, Mar 8, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    Just to be clear it is the first powershell command on option 2 that is wrong.

It says this:

Get-WmiObject win32bios | Format-List SerialNumber

It should say this (with the underscore)

Get-WmiObject win32_bios | Format-List SerialNumber

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Thank you guys. Typo corrected. *Redface

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Find Serial Number of Windows PC - Similar Threads - Find Serial Number

2. Windows serial number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows serial number: Hi, last week i bought a new laptop with DOS so i installed Windows 11 and then i I bought actiavion key online. I activeted windows, everything went good but laptop started to get BSOD atleast once evry 30-60 minutes so i sended it back to the store and apperently it was...
  3. Windows serial number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows serial number: Hi, last week i bought a new laptop with DOS so i installed Windows 11 and then i I bought actiavion key online. I activeted windows, everything went good but laptop started to get BSOD atleast once evry 30-60 minutes so i sended it back to the store and apperently it was...
  4. serial number?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    serial number?: My laptop has burned and I can't access it. How can I get my serial number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-number/7195148e-b721-4d0d-8153-ae3cd7d7a609
  5. serial number?

serial number?: My laptop has burned and I can't access it. How can I get my serial number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/serial-number/7195148e-b721-4d0d-8153-ae3cd7d7a609
  6. How to find your PC Motherboard Model and Serial Number

in Windows 10 News
    How to find your PC Motherboard Model and Serial Number: [ATTACH]Knowing the motherboard’s model and serial number can be beneficial while searching for BIOS firmware updates from the manufacturer’s support site. A product’s serial number enables the manufacturer to identify and obtain more details about it, allowing for...
  7. Find serial number to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Find serial number to laptop: Hi Microsoft Community, Could someone please tell me the simplest way of finding out the serial number to the laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-serial-number-to-laptop/6ef7c99c-688e-4bea-b193-fe170f7c877f
  8. Find serial number to laptop

Find serial number to laptop: Hi Microsoft Community, Could someone please tell me the simplest way of finding out the serial number to the laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/find-serial-number-to-laptop/6ef7c99c-688e-4bea-b193-fe170f7c877f
  9. finding serial numbers on product

finding serial numbers on product: find serial numbers on prodct https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-serial-numbers-on-product/ffa2dac9-5ad8-433c-ad62-08ae2bde9c8b
  10. Find Serial Number of Hard Drive in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find Serial Number of Hard Drive in Windows: How to: Find Serial Number of Hard Drive in Windows How to Find Serial Number of Hard Drive in Windows [img] Information Sometimes abbreviated as Serial No., SN or S/N, a serial number is a unique number assigned to the PC by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)...